Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughly how many people out of a school year would get As in the Spanish oral?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

In my year at school there are about 70 people doing Spanish. Roughly how many of that 70 will get full marks/A1s in the oral, would you say? Would it be low like 5 or closer to 20? Please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Depends on the students and the examiner. Theoretically 20 students could achieve A's in the oral if they deserve it. It's hard to get and A in anything really, but generally if people put in the work and on the day it goes well for them it is possible to get near to full marks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

The way this question is asked kind of suggests to me that you think there is a quota of how many As can be handed out. That's not a criticism BTW, as I remember thinking similarly when I was doing the LC.You just have to remember that only those who deserve an A will get one. I did Spanish in the LC too and from what I can remember of the oral it was practiced and refined so much beforehand that if anyone puts the effort in they can get good marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

With the oral (even at university level, I'm in my final year), people get so caught up with trying to squeeze in a subjunctive mood here and there, and remembering loads of vocabulary, and rolling their r's (I remember a girl in my year in school getting a blister on her tongue from rolling her r's constantly...) that they forget the basics of grammar.

It's the people who remember the difference between me gusta/me gustan, using el/la and other little things as well as being able to comfortably hold a conversation and show an awareness of the language who gain higher marks.

There's no point having loads of complicated vocabulary when students forget the basics of grammar and therefore forget how to string a sentence together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You're getting a bit hung up on the implications of the bell curve I think.

A certain % of the whole country will get an A1, an A2 etc. That doesn't necessarily mean that the same % will get an A1, A2 etc. from the students doing the oral in your school. It could happen that you all get an A1 (thought that's unlikely). It should average out over the whole population of people in the country doing Spanish, but the average bell curve percentages in each grade might not be represented in your year.

The main thing is that do your best, and don't be thinking of whether you were one of the ones in your year to get an A1. If you deserve it you should get it no matter how well you compare to the others in your year.

Advertisement