Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to find a nice flatmate?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Myself and a pal are looking to rent a place in Dublin at the moment. We're interested in a 3-bed as we feel its a good number and living with one other person would be too intense. Having used the daft team-up database we found we got a LOT of rather strange people who came across as aggressive, or bossy and weren't their "easy-going" selves in reality. When we eventually did find someone nice and normal they ended up pulling out at the last minute to buy instead! Any tips on how to find a normal female in mid-20s for a house-share? it is seeming more and more like a mammoth task!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you can avoid it then I'd get a place for just the two of you. If you already have a 3 bed in mind then contact the landlord and negotiate the rent down. It's always nice to have a spare room anyway!

There's no foolproof method of finding a suitable housemate, people can be completely different to live with in comparison to how they are meeting up for a half hour here and there. Even a good friend can turn into a nightmare to live with. Good luck with whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eurochick

Thanks a lot, its good advice! We actually had negotiated for a place, with our third person from daft, but the agent was so nasty and wouldn't take anything under asking price in spite of RECESSION and when we offered full price in desperation they refused us - punishing us essentially for our cheek in trying to negotiate. Then the 3rd girl pulled out. I just think its better to have 3 as its less intense and more open. Ive done 2s before and it almost felt like living alone at times. Anybody know a good alternative to daft or are they the only people doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sounds like you had a lucky escape, don't go near any landlords or agents that are nasty, you'll most likely have awful problems with them. It's a renters market, you're the one in control.

2 beds arent all small. Maybe try a 2 bed house, it all depends where you're looking. Go view all the places you can to get an idea of what suits you, start looking for places a little above your budget with negotiating rent down in mind.

Daft tends to have the majority of rental properties. You could try www.myhome.ie www.let.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eurochick

Thanks so much for the advice, I thought I was doing the right thing alright by trying to negotiate a bit and thought the behaviour was disgraceful. I'm now on a daft/myhome/let blitz so hopefully it all works out! Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

OP, there are a lot of great people who would love a room in a nice house (with a decent landlord) and housemates!
    If you do advertise a room for a third person think about the specifics:
    • What age are you and the other incumbent tenant, do you want someone to match your age or would you be happy with someone older/younger? State clearly on your ad what age you both are but mention if you are open to considering somebody older/younger.
    • If you you are looking for someone who has similar interests to both of you,mention these, eg., vegetarian/ yoga loving, arts/ media or sport/sky TV, saying stuff like looking for someone 'positive' 'likeminded' 'easygoing' or 'sound' are terms to vague for anybody to really know what actually is meant by them.
    • Encourage potential flatmates to make enquiries by email on daft, to write a line telling about themselves, (both only do this if you have done the same in the ad-nothing more arrogant than someone advertising for an extra housemate demanding this yet only supplying the very barest information about room and nearby transport themselves! This alsogives you a chance to get a vague idea if this person is worth having a round for a viewing.
    • DO NOT have multiple viewings at the same time. This is not the boom anymore. There is nothing more offputting for a person who is making the careful decision on where to live and who to share their home with to be treated like competitors at a popularity contest.
    • Make sure that all people who will be living in the house/apartment are present for each and every viewing, and this will also give you both/all a good opportunity to really focus on getting the right housemate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

This is funny. I went to see multiple properties and was asked to move into all of them. Turns out it wasn't that I am overly charming, but just one of the few normal people that came to see the rooms.

Its hard op. Most normal people either buy or move in with their friends. Id suggest putting up an ad in your work place or college. Also, you could send out an email to your friends saying that if they know of anyone who wants to rent a room to get back to you. There's always a friend of a friend who's looking for a room.

I moved in with a stranger and nothing bothers me really (life is too short) and he's easy going so there are success stories.

Also, google is your friend. When i contacted people on daft, their full name would come back on their email so Id look them up on facebook/myspace and you can tell quite a bit about people from their pictures/friends etc.

I agree about multiple viewings, its such a turnoff for potential room mates.

Advertisement