Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU - Where's the humour?

Options
  • 10-04-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has SGU dropped my favourite part of the stargate franchise..

I always loved the fact that stargate never took itself too seriously and every episode had at the least a small touch of humour but every episode of SGU just seems to be so serious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

It is a different type of show from SGA and SG-1, but i like it. It started off slowly but has started to gain rythm as it progresses. Really enjoyed the last episode. The introduction of these aliens gives hope for some interesting plotlines ahead. Let it roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I agree with you, OP. I miss the O'Neill, Sheppard and McKay moments.

It's why I'd love a cameo from Dr McKay himself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I do get that it's different, but for me it's like it's trying to be another BSG type series. I loved BSG (apart from the last 30 minutes or so of the last episode!) but for me stargate always stood out because it was different to other sci fi series with it's humour and setting (well, the setting in SG1 anyway, Atlantis didn't have as much of that going for it) but I dunno, I guess for me SGU is getting to be too much like the other sci fi series out there.. I'm not sure what's "different" here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

i wasnt sure about universe at the start but i really like it now. every episode is very intense and you just never know how or who will try and backstab the next person.

Its a grown up version of stargate. i loved all the stargate franchises so far but SGU just feels more grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I like the new direction (even if I don't like many of the characters) however I would like to see some of the unique humour in one or two of the episodes otherwise it's just depressing watching a squabbling crew. Maybe a day in the life of some obscure crew member that hasn't a clue what's going on with Young/Rush squabbles in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah wyrn, something like that would go a long way towards picking the atmosphere up a bit! And and I should say that I am enjoying the new series too, I just noticed that the "funny" was missing and I missed it :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thankfully kept down to a reasonable level.

SG1 in the early years had the balance right. It got stupid towards the end with unfunny clowns like Vala.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I like the thread title, it's like a different spin on "Why So Serious?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Atlantis took humour and ran away with it...

They spent so much time wise-cracking per episode; then it got to t-minus 2 and theyre like "Oh yeah we have to wrap this up" shoot the guy in the gut and roll the credits.

I think I finally Pity Francks rather than despise him: I can almost understand him now. Poor kid tried to take his role seriously and got overshadowed by the humour. Not funny enough? Well guess what ya little bastard, we're writing you off the show. Suck it.

There was no room on that show for any character void of a sense of humour. Even the bad guys had to be able to tell a wise crack or two.

"Ha Ha Ha lol.... just a little Wraith Humour."

The longer it goes without humour overwhelming it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackdagger

I agree, there no sense of humour. At least Voyager (same lost in space theme) had a bit of humour.

But SGU is not Stargate, its a glossed over BSG where they are all super serious about Sci-fi, Stargate was never Sci-Fi serious. Yet there was always a substantial threat to Earth.

Where are the super alien bad guys lurking in the shadow waiting to attack Earth? But now they are going with different alien races who dont speak english and no one major antaginist race.

Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis had its fantastic episodes and indeed the very very unwatchable episodes. But shooting everything in a dark dank ship with little lighting and the threat is that they may not get home?

Where is the over all danger, SG1 lost a few ships full of people in its closing series'. These folks should be no different to them, there is no substanital threat to them from a source other then themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think Stargate had its serious moments (SG1).

Maybe they were more effective because they were rare but the storylines where they visit a world in which different factions are at war for example.

The episode where O'Neil pulled his gun on that religious fanatic who killed a couple os SG members with an explosion was really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah i miss the humor, that and the goa-uld.

There used to be something so unique with stargate. The use of ancient mythology mixed with science fiction, set in contemporary life really made it. I just feel Universe is an attempt to copy what Battlestar achieved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The humour in SG1 was far more prevalent in the latter half of the series and I thought it went way too far. Even some complete joke episodes such as Window of Opportunity had very serious moments that were well done. I enjoy SGU more than any Stargate since season 5 or so of SG1 and I hope it keeps this up.

That was Atlantis' problem too. If you compare the first season to the last, they did a complete turnaround. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Old but still a great one....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Old but still a great one....

That was ad libbed by Tapping - it wasn't in the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

don ramo wrote: »

Yeah totally agree with you, the Kino episodes are usually pretty funny.

Maybe if they threw some of them into the main episodes it might help lighten it up a bit, but I do enjoy them the way they are already.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I'd rather SGU take itself too seriously than be like the last two season of SG-1. Every episode was basically a bad sitcom set in the same medieval town.

Window of Opportunity is a perfect example of how Stargate should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

DingChavez wrote: »
    I'd rather SGU take itself too seriously than be like the last two season of SG-1. Every episode was basically a bad sitcom set in the same medieval town.

Window of Opportunity is a perfect example of how Stargate should be.
    in the middle of my back swing:D

+1 the seriousness works well with this group of caracters and i dont think they could act like the atlantis cast even if the tried,

i enjoys both series of stargate, i liked the humour and the more serious eps just as much as each other, but i think i would like to see a very grown up side to stargate,

id say keep the KINO webisodes, cause they add to the viewing expierience, for those who know about them,

but with the ratings like they are i can see i little diversion down maybe a 30-40% atlantis style maybe creep in next season, i dont think they should go that way, but with the ratings going the way they are it might force there hand to get there core audience back,

also its suppose to be on tuesday nights next season, that i think is a great move,

I nominate FA to post a thread with all the kino webisodes :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    I nominate FA to post a thread with all the kino webisodes :pac:

Done and done! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938818

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I found SG1 to be too jokey for my tastes O Neill went into every first contact situation the same way by planting both feet firmly in his mouth I mean c'mon he is a high ranking military officer leading a team who are out there initially anyways to my understanding to find allies and/or weapons to fight the goauld how is that goal served by cracking jokes and making fun of every race he meets .

I'm not against there being humour i just felt the shows realism would have been better served by having someone other then O Neill (a supposedly battle hardened soldier) be the jokester .

Advertisement