Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling car now to avoid getting lumbered later

• 10-04-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Right. Here's the story.

My aunt was 3rd car in a 4 car pile up recently and has €2k to spend.

<<<<My car is coming up on 9 years old and she's offered me €1900 for it. It's worth more than that to me at the moment as it's mint, but I want to change next year and don't want to get stuck with it.

I had planned on paying off the €500 I still owe on this car and saving until next year at which point I would change to something like an S60.

I've spotted a nice 320i on Carzone for €3,500 (private). I have to of course check the insurance ramifications of buying something better, but should I dump the Astra now for a reasonable price (I know the market will bear more), get the cash and avoid paying €450 to tax it this month?

It's tempting, but I don't know...selling something below what others are asking, just not to get lumbered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'd take the money and run if I was you, You won't get such an easy opportunity to sell again I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Listen to the kid, grab the cash and run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have these things called "parents" telling me "I don't want to stick my nose in your business" but going ahead anyway.

It is a mint car with only 50k miles on the clock...bargain for her, but I suppose the chance to sell at the end of a tax year is nothing to be sniffed at :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My only issue is with selling a car to relatives or friends. It usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth when something goes wrong.

If it was to a stranger I would take the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

personally i try never sell a car to family or friends cos even though its in mint cond now if say in a week or two something goes on it things can get very awkward just my two cents

• Advertisement

She bought her last car from my grandad and there were issues with it afterwards.

She's not a car person, so as long as it runs she's not going to be too worried about how well if something does go wrong. She's already paying below the odds for it if I accept her offer.

The attractive thing here is that there's no hassle of advertising and viewings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

9 years old? Didn the head gaskets go on all that model astra?

You'll never hear the end of it if she owns it and the gasket goes on her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hammertime wrote: »

What engine is it OP? Did I dream it or do you have a bio fuel conversion?

Pretty blanket statement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

david wrote: »
    What engine is it OP? Did I dream it or do you have a bio fuel conversion?

Pretty blanket statement there.

The only thing that MK astra did well was blow head gaskets!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nintey9er

You do have to consider the further depreciation of the model and also the fact that dealers are going gagga for people to trade in cars. You might find that by next year there could be a mass amount of used cars on the market and the value of yours in non existant, let alone the extra year it will have on her.

Although I don't like selling to relatives because you wont hear the end of it if there are problems. You say she both her fathers car before so if that went well maybe that is your litmus test.

Move on and get the S60(subject to insurance). I suggest you try a broker. Try Sullivan on Harstonge Street 061 313255. Does the ULSU have a partnership company that students can use or even a system where faculty can get discounts somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hammertime wrote: »

I think it was mostly the 1.4 litre petrol engines that went through head gaskets. OP's is a 1.6 litre from memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it was mostly the 1.4 litre petrol engines that went through head gaskets. OP's is a 1.6 litre from memory.

Which is the right engine to have in fairness. But in engine capacity obsessed Ireland; that will prove a hard sell in the future, so I'd take the money and run to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

ninty9er wrote: »
    Right. Here's the story.

My aunt was 3rd car in a 4 car pile up recently and has €2k to spend.

<<<<My car is coming up on 9 years old and she's offered me €1900 for it. It's worth more than that to me at the moment as it's mint, but I want to change next year and don't want to get stuck with it.

It's tempting, but I don't know...selling something below what others are asking, just not to get lumbered?
    She has 2k to spend take 2k for the car, leaves you with 1500 after you pay off what you owe.

I'm gonna give it til Thursday to sell on Donedeal and Adverts. I've €2,995 ono on it. Will obviously take less, but fools and their money, God loves a trier etc...

Yes it's a 1.6. It's had a bio-ethanol conversion for about 20k miles with no issues. I've minded it extremely well. The paintwork is its main downfall, I inherited that, It's a stunning colour though.

Advertisement