Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 wheel licence question

• 10-04-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm sure the answer to my question is very straight forward but as an outsider I have found it quite hard... I also find going into a motorbike shop for the first time a bit like going into a tattoo shop for the first time... a bit overwhelming! :o
    I want to get out on 2 wheels, I've had a car for around 6 years. I don't want anything big, just something for scuttin around on in the sun, something 50cc or so but no bigger than 125cc.
    I don't have too much spare time to go do lessons etc and I already know how to ride small engine bikes and I am very careful on the road.
    If I go for a cat A1 licence can I just do the theory test or do I have to do a full practical test after that to be fully qualified? Also if I do the theory test for cat A1 does this cover me for vehicles that would fall into the licence category M?
    Am I correct in assuming that to ride category M vehicles all I have to do is pass the theory test?

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

apply for a restricted a lisence
    ddo theory test get lisence drive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't bother with the A1 license, it's a waste of time. Get the A license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Thanks,
    do I have to do a practical test to ride up to 125cc on an A1 or A licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I'm sure the answer to my question is very straight forward but as an outsider I have found it quite hard... I also find going into a motorbike shop for the first time a bit like going into a tattoo shop for the first time... a bit overwhelming! :o

They may look frightening but most are nice people. If you go into the bigger shops like Bikeworld, don't buy their unless you're loaded, they have a good selection of small bikes and you can sit on a few to see how they fell and ask some questions. In the smaller shops if you go in and explain that you're new to bikes they'll help you out.
    I want to get out on 2 wheels, I've had a car for around 6 years. I don't want anything big, just something for scuttin around on in the sun, something 50cc or so but no bigger than 125cc.
    I don't have too much spare time to go do lessons etc and I already know how to ride small engine bikes and I am very careful on the road.

You better off getting lessons. You will learn about road position and other stuff that you never think about in a car.
    If I go for a cat A1 licence can I just do the theory test or do I have to do a full practical test after that to be fully qualified? Also if I do the theory test for cat A1 does this cover me for vehicles that would fall into the licence category M?
    Am I correct in assuming that to ride category M vehicles all I have to do is pass the theory test?

Cheers guys!

Once your over 18 I'd get an A permit. It'll cover you on the bike you want, you just need to do the test on a bike bigger then 125cc but you can hire a bike for the test. Once you get used to biking you may want something bigger and if you have an A1 you'll need to do the test again.

You need to do a theory test for your learners permit and then apply for the practical test to get you licence.

It depends on when you passed your car test if you can ride M vehicles, AFAIK it was around Oct 2006 that the law changed so that B doesn't include M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

I did my car test in April 2004 and have been driving ever since. I'm not really looking for something that I can zip down to cork and back in 13.6 seconds. I drive my car for a living so the bike would be something I would keep covered on my (big) balcony and take out in weather like we had today to go (reponsibly) down to the end of the road and back, don't ask me why I want that, but I do! :o
    We really are talking around €1500 budget for everything here, like Piaggio Ciao region! Safety gear, bike and insurance.

I've ridden bikes off-road and in Thailand (Got bored of the beach so rented a TW250... in flip flops and shorts, no helmet, on the road :eek: what was I thinking! after 3 days I had a callous on the wrong side of my foot from gear change!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wolfsberg wrote: »
    I did my car test in April 2004 and have been driving ever since. I'm not really looking for something that I can zip down to cork and back in 13.6 seconds. I drive my car for a living so the bike would be something I would keep covered on my (big) balcony and take out in weather like we had today to go (reponsibly) down to the end of the road and back, don't ask me why I want that, but I do! :o
    We really are talking around €1500 budget for everything here, like Piaggio Ciao region! Safety gear, bike and insurance.

I've ridden bikes off-road and in Thailand (Got bored of the beach so rented a TW250... in flip flops and shorts, no helmet, on the road :eek: what was I thinking! after 3 days I had a callous on the wrong side of my foot from gear change!).

You should have M on your B licence then. You can ride the Piaggio Ciao or any other moped with your current licence, provided the bike can't exceed 45km/h and be under 49cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Colmgogan

I currently have a 50cc MBK Ovetto which I am driving under my B licence,
    (I passed the B test in 2001)
    I have become a little bored of the 50cc and am looking to go up a class or 2.
    If I apply for an A licence and buy say a 400cc twist & go i.e. Yamaha Majesty or similar would I be correct in saying that the following applies
    1. I need to get it restricted for the test and for 2 years after passing the test?
    2. Can I then only ride "twist and go" bikes or can I then change to manual bikes?

There is much to do there, and the cost seems to escalate.

Colmgogan wrote: »
    1. I need to get it restricted for the test and for 2 years after passing the test?
    2. Can I then only ride "twist and go" bikes or can I then change to manual bikes?

There is much to do there, and the cost seems to escalate.

1. Yes
    2. No you can ride manual with A license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KamiKazi wrote: »
    1. Yes
    2. No you can ride manual with A license

Are you sure about 2? I thought if you do the license test in a automatic you are limited to automatics from then on until you retest in a manual?

Are you sure about 2? I thought if you do the license test in a automatic you are limited to automatics from then on until you retest in a manual?

Sorry my mistake, I thought he said Yamaha Dragstar :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Colmgogan

Ive seen Honda Silverwings online etc,
    They look pretty good!
    Anybody got any comments on them?

Advertisement