Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do trains beep so often

• 10-04-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭

I was on the Limerick to Ennis line today and noticed that the driver beeped the horn every few minutes. Why is this?

It also happens on the Limerick to Limerick Junction line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The horn is 'usually' blown approaching accomodation and level crossings to warn road users.

As JD said. It wasn't as noticeable with the old locomotive hauled trains but it was always done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There are horn boards in some places to remind the driver to sound the horn- yellow and black stripes on a sign post basically.

Here it is in virtual form, the yellow/black striped sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Was thinking it'd something like that.
    Cheers guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No one would want to be a train driver if they didn't get to blow the horn once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Karsini wrote: »

You only have her in notch 4 there Karsini,open her up a bit and let her rip!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lord lucan wrote: »
    You only have her in notch 4 there Karsini,open her up a bit and let her rip!:D
    if the horn has to be sounded so often there is little hope of "opening her up" as speed restrictions will no doubt be in place!

Sorry (embarrassed to ask as I'm really not an anorak) but is that from an IE simulator? If so what's it called and where can I get it - for my seven year old - honestly? Don't let Flame of the West or DW see this post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Sorry (embarrassed to ask as I'm really not an anorak) but is that from an IE simulator? If so what's it called and where can I get it - for my seven year old - honestly? Don't let Flame of the West or DW see this post. :D

LIAR!:D

• Advertisement

DWCommuter wrote: »
    LIAR!:D

God it's fierce hard to keep anything secret on the internet! Anyway, any news of your movie, is it still going ahead? Publication date for the book - put me down for a copy before its banned. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

God it's fierce hard to keep anything secret on the internet! Anyway, any news of your movie, is it still going ahead? Publication date for the book - put me down for a copy before its banned. :D

The movie idea was a joke JD.:D But fortunately the book is real.

All will be revealed in due course.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Do IE rules require horns on all LCs, or just ones not fully automated? I am typing this from the Toronto-Windsor train (on train wifi actually working today) and you notice the horn more out of town where there are 2-barrier crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

It is called Irish Enterprise and comes in two parts north and south. Both are add-ons and require Microsoft train simulator to run. You can get them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Probably so many twists and turns on that line they would need to sound the horn quite a lot. :p

Speaking of train horns, I love the Nathan K5LA's, Anyone who has travelled through the States would be familiar with these. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Probably so many twists and turns on that line they would need to sound the horn quite a lot. :p

Speaking of train horns, I love the Nathan K5LA's, Anyone who has travelled through the States would be familiar with these. :)
    any chance of one of those trains on the dublin-waterford route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Anything beats the two-tone horns on the 22k's...

Always loved the horns on the 071's, especially when they were flying along!

Although nobody would've guessed that with my user name.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It is called Irish Enterprise and comes in two parts north and south. Both are add-ons and require Microsoft train simulator to run. You can get them here.

And well worth it imo,great bit of craic!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just noticed this thread, and reminded me of something. I was along side the Dub-Cork line late on saturday night, and one for the new locos went by, but it seemed really quiet to me, well compared to the older diesels in any case. But if it wasn't for the lights i wouldn't have really noticed it.

Have they really got that much quieter? And if they are would they have more reason to use the horn?

Davy wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread, and reminded me of something. I was along side the Dub-Cork line late on saturday night, and one for the new locos went by, but it seemed really quiet to me, well compared to the older diesels in any case. But if it wasn't for the lights i wouldn't have really noticed it.

Have they really got that much quieter? And if they are would they have more reason to use the horn?

The reason you couldn't hear the horn on the older trains (Mk2s and Mk3s) was because the sound of the locomotive horn was shielded by the non-openable windows and wind resistance. Railcars, having the driving cab and passenger area in the same unit, make it much more obvious to passengers. The 2700s in particular are very obvious.

• Advertisement

The reason you couldn't hear the horn on the older trains (Mk2s and Mk3s) was because the sound of the locomotive horn was shielded by the non-openable windows and wind resistance. Railcars, having the driving cab and passenger area in the same unit, make it much more obvious to passengers. The 2700s in particular are very obvious.

Im talking about beside the tracks while a train passes, rather than inside and not the loudness of the horn, and the actual loudness of the loco itself

Davy wrote: »
    Im talking about beside the tracks while a train passes, rather than inside and not the loudness of the horn, and the actual loudness of the loco itself

Ah sorry. One thing is that the newer locomotives have silencers on their exhaust system while the older ones didn't. I don't find the likes of the 22000 railcars to be quieter than 201s to be honest.

Ah sorry. One thing is that the newer locomotives have silencers on their exhaust system while the older ones didn't. I don't find the likes of the 22000 railcars to be quieter than 201s to be honest.

Maybe its just in my head. It seemed a lot quieter though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A railcar has an engine in every carraige, so noise is distributed throughout.

A loco hauled train will only have noise at one end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A railcar has an engine in every carraige, so noise is distributed throughout.

A loco hauled train will only have noise at one end ;)
    Not if there is a genset car at the end of the train. :p

Advertisement