Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good wellington

Options
  • 10-04-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladies, for years I have been trying different wellingtons and i want to get a good pair or 2 at last. I wear them quite often as the land is still wet in places and I'm still after stock alot, I have tried all the farmers ones such as good ole dunlop, hevea and them black yokes, had a pair of aigles some while back and they ripped but i liked the comfort and "grip" was great and important as I'm pretty often running after ewes this time of year:rolleyes: Anyway, any reccomendations be great. I'll have them for next winter coming anyhow.

Cheers, Kay 9

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have a pair of LeChameau walking/hiking boots. Not suited for deep water, but comfortable and durable.

Try their website. LeChameau.

Only thing is they are not cheap. Prices can range from €90 to €200+.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I have a pair of Muck Boots - Esk.
    These ones... http://www.discountwellies.co.uk/ProductDescription.asp?product=Muck%20Boot%20Esk%20Wellingtons
    Comfy even when walking a fair bit, warm, and have kept me dry so far, but I haven't had them soaking for hours on end or anything.
    Not a bad price in my opinion. They're worth the 60 or 70 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

ezridax wrote: »
    I have a pair of LeChameau walking/hiking boots. Not suited for deep water, but comfortable and durable.

Try their website. LeChameau.

Only thing is they are not cheap. Prices can range from €90 to €200+.
    I dont care about the price in anything thats purchased for personal comfort;) Comforts worth any money. |Even the cattle have rubber mats on the slats, i need some comfort too:D

dos29 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Muck Boots - Esk.
    These ones... http://www.discountwellies.co.uk/ProductDescription.asp?product=Muck%20Boot%20Esk%20Wellingtons
    Comfy even when walking a fair bit, warm, and have kept me dry so far, but I haven't had them soaking for hours on end or anything.
    Not a bad price in my opinion. They're worth the 60 or 70 quid.
    Thanks lads, whats the grip like on the chameau and on the muck boots? It's a big factor in my uses as its ground where animals are always trodding the ground and can be like ice to walk on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

I have a pair of Aigle now for the past 5 years and love them great grip and my feet are never cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Mostly use mine in marsh, so haven't put them to the test on that or anything, but I dont think it'd be they're strongest point.
    I'd still vouch for the brand though, and if grip is needed, then maybe check out the Muckboot Tack- http://www.pushchairs.co.uk/acatalog/muckboots.html

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

i have a pair of aigiles aswell. the only regret is that i didnt spend a little bit extra on them and get the ones with the side straps. do any of ye find them a bit on the warm side, even in the cold weather???

doyle61 wrote: »
    i have a pair of aigiles aswell. the only regret is that i didnt spend a little bit extra on them and get the ones with the side straps. do any of ye find them a bit on the warm side, even in the cold weather???
    I had them also a while back, were lovely to wear and all till i feckin tore them on a tractor:( But I found them a little on the warm side also. Better than the cold cheap ones tho. I see La chameau are doing a light air pair. Made for warmer conditions. Only downside is price as Ezri said but at the end of the day I value my comfort. (we only live once);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Try here for all brands and sizes:www.thewellyshop.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

i'm a great beleaver in the old dunlop purofort wellies, only thing is buy the "moon boots",, there steel toe and as warm as f**k,
    steel toe is great for sheep when working with them in a pen, there code spec is C661843 as far as i can tell,
    bit heavy at the start buy you get used to them, i've a pair this past 18 months and still good for grip and heat, i now have a pair for wet gear and a pair for not as wet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muck Boot Esk.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Muck Boots all the way, they're like slippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Collioure

kay 9 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies, for years I have been trying different wellingtons and i want to get a good pair or 2 at last. I wear them quite often as the land is still wet in places and I'm still after stock alot, I have tried all the farmers ones such as good ole dunlop, hevea and them black yokes, had a pair of aigles some while back and they ripped but i liked the comfort and "grip" was great and important as I'm pretty often running after ewes this time of year:rolleyes: Anyway, any reccomendations be great. I'll have them for next winter coming anyhow.

Cheers, Kay 9

http://www.dunlopboots.com/agri/index.php?docid=24&key=&PHPSESSID=a14879be4319e48759f74637703e0aad

i bought dunlop purofort last Friday....what a diff compared tomy last pair they are really comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

muck boot esk;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

kay 9 wrote: »
    ...... i liked the comfort and "grip" was great and important as I'm pretty often running after ewes this time of year:rolleyes: Anyway, any reccomendations be great. I'll have them for next winter coming anyhow.

Cheers, Kay 9

I will assume that the suggestions are for boots and not about running after ewes:D:D:D:D

To be honest, you’d be better off buying two different pairs because your requirements are quite different. If you are rough shooting or covering a lot of ground, you do not want either a heavy boot or an expensive one, as barbed wire or tree roots will write-off boots very quickly.

I’ve tried Aigle, Chameau, Dunlop, Tretorn, Lidl, etc. I wore the new Lidl tall ones (about 15 yoyos) on my last few outings before end of season and they were v. good, both light and comfortable. (Their shorter, gardening ones are crap, too short and no insole protection.) Up to now I usually bought cheapo ones from the local Coop (not much dearer than Lidl) and dumped them when they start to leak.
    Any of the ones I had with fancy neoprene linings were the first to get damaged when rough shooting. They are fine if you are standing around in winter/frost, but get too hot for moving about; they are heavy and damage easily. Also, if you step into a bog-hole they absorb the water and are a b@gg€r to dry out.
    Rs
    P.

I will assume that the suggestions are for boots and not about running after ewes:D:D:D:D

To be honest, you’d be better off buying two different pairs because your requirements are quite different. If you are rough shooting or covering a lot of ground, you do not want either a heavy boot or an expensive one, as barbed wire or tree roots will write-off boots very quickly.

I’ve tried Aigle, Chameau, Dunlop, Tretorn, Lidl, etc. I wore the new Lidl tall ones (about 15 yoyos) on my last few outings before end of season and they were v. good, both light and comfortable. (Their shorter, gardening ones are crap, too short and no insole protection.) Up to now I usually bought cheapo ones from the local Coop (not much dearer than Lidl) and dumped them when they start to leak.
    Any of the ones I had with fancy neoprene linings were the first to get damaged when rough shooting. They are fine if you are standing around in winter/frost, but get too hot for moving about; they are heavy and damage easily. Also, if you step into a bog-hole they absorb the water and are a b@gg€r to dry out.
    Rs
    P.
    I agree bud, only thing is I like to have a smth light and not to warm. The aigles i had last were feckin very hot for me. I see they have a new pair out now too that are supposedly for all weather so they may be very versatile for my uses. Anyway, as for now I think I will go with the muck boots as some the lads r great believers. Not as expensive as the top of range chamaeus or aigles either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

I see a lot of recommendations for the muck boot here with a UK website. I think there is a lad set up in Sligo now distributing these. He did a bit of clay shooting with us one Sunday. I think he advertises in the Journal too. Contrary to my ironic name on boards I have no association to Dunlop or wellington sales just the first thing I thought of. Although I have a pair of light Dunlop ones which now have a hole in them so I am the in the market now too. They lasted for about 5 years. I might try the muck boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

'Bout the best I've found for dual purpose are the French Baudou boot.It is light enough for daily work,but a bit warm in Summer[Which wellie isnt].Got good grip on mucky yards and fields,and is tight enough to shoot in,and not slop around your leg when walking.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

TRI beside the curragh racecourse do muck boots. herself has two pairs, one of the normal ones and a hard soul pair for the horses.

• Advertisement

My muck boots are neoprene lined. Just be aware of that if you're not looking for a warm pair, as they are warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

doyle61 wrote: »
    TRI beside the curragh racecourse do muck boots. herself has two pairs, one of the normal ones and a hard soul pair for the horses.

A hard soul is better than a cold heart or, worse, wet feet. ;)
    P.

johngalway wrote: »
    My muck boots are neoprene lined. Just be aware of that if you're not looking for a warm pair, as they are warm.
    Cheers for that John. I'll check them out anyway.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    'Bout the best I've found for dual purpose are the French Baudou boot.It is light enough for daily work,but a bit warm in Summer[Which wellie isnt].Got good grip on mucky yards and fields,and is tight enough to shoot in,and not slop around your leg when walking.

Where do you pick up a pair of them Griz? Just found their French site via Google, kinda like the look of them. My MB's got holed under the water line today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any Coop store should have them.They are the most sold farmer boot around here so they must be good.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement