Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins & Hitchens plan to arrest Pope.

Options
  • 11-04-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Charlatans.
    RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal ambush to have the Pope arrested during his state visit to Britain “for crimes against humanity”.

Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

The pair believe they can exploit the same legal principle used to arrest Augusto Pinochet, the late Chilean dictator, when he visited Britain in 1998.

The Pope was embroiled in new controversy this weekend over a letter he signed arguing that the “good of the universal church” should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys. It was dated 1985, when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases.
    Related Links

Benedict will be in Britain between September 16 and 19, visiting London, Glasgow and Coventry, where he will beatify Cardinal John Henry Newman, the 19th-century theologian.

Dawkins and Hitchens believe the Pope would be unable to claim diplomatic immunity from arrest because, although his tour is categorised as a state visit, he is not the head of a state recognised by the United Nations.

Link.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That's not fair, he wears a dress.

Do you know what happens men in prison that wear dresses?

Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dawkins is an attention whore.

He's only doing this to push his own agenda rather than out of concern for victims of child abuse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

He's only doing this to push his own agenda rather than out of concern for victims of child abuse.

But do you agree or disagree! How can he be held accountable or any priest be held accountable if accountablity doesnt begin at the top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Oh gawd...I wish Dawkins would jsut shut up..he is deffo an attention whore with the most undirect awnsering method ever may I also add.

He embarased Atheist as extremists do theists :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

djhunter30 wrote: »
    But do you agree or disagree! How can he be held accountable or any priest be held accountable if accountablity doesnt begin at the top!

I agree the pope should be made to answer for any wrong doing but this publicity stunt isn't the right way to go about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Bout time someone had enough balls to try and hold him accountable tbh

He's either above the law, or he isn't

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I agree the pope should be made to answer for any wrong doing but this publicity stunt isn't the right way to go about it.

I agree there with you! Is there anyother way though of litterally dragging the pope into a prison and making him confess to coin a phrase!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seloth wrote: »
    He embarased Atheist as extremists do theists :D
    Hardly

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personally I'd have been more inclined to say that about Hitchens. "I'm staunchly atheist but mates with members of the right-wing christian former presidential administration" - woo Chris, how interesting of you...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+ 100000 I actually like Dawkins, even if he is way too linear and narrow minded and remarkably uniformed beyond the ken of his primary focus, but robust champion of revolution he is not. Hitchens I would have more "faith" in(which would doubtless be somewhat ironic for the chap to hear). Dawkins is an intellectually cloistered lightweight. I would not look to him to hide me in his attic if the monsters came. The usual, again cloistered "protest" he adds his name to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Agreed. But which one of those three would you back in a straight fight? Not the right on eejit and that's part of the problem.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Nice to see some heat being put on the church. Benny was probably not responsibe in any way or form for the abuse, but he now represents the scum who were, so fúck him, let him take what that fúcked up institution deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Team Atheist: World Police

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Isn't the Pope a head of state, thus immune from this kind of thing? Dawkins is a prick and pop atheists are literally the scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The pope can use magic, they stand no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

And to think I used to like these guys. Well not Hitchens, he's always been a prick!

I'm beginning to think these two are as bad as the people they mock, Pat Robertson, Ted Haggard etc.

Well not as bad but getting closer every time they open their ****ing mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm not friends with either of these dudes, but this thread is a bit rich.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of "Something should be done about this" and "the Pope is a disgrace" and whatever - somebody actually threatens to actually do something about said disgrace, and there's whinging about that purely because it's Dawkins and Hitchens.

Hitchens is indeed kind of a douche, but far more people hate on Dawkins than know what he's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Enjoy hell athiests. long live the pope

I'll pass on your regards when I get there, Cleremy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I'll pass on your regards when I get there, Cleremy.

No need. I've had faith in our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

only joking...he's a right c'unt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm not friends with either of these dudes, but this thread is a bit rich.

Weeks and weeks and weeks of "Something should be done about this" and "the Pope is a disgrace" and whatever - somebody actually threatens to actually do something about said disgrace, and there's whinging about that purely because it's Dawkins and Hitchens.

Hitchens is indeed kind of a douche, but far more people hate on Dawkins than know what he's about.

People are whinging because its a shameless publicity event - they aren't doing anything worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I love Hitchens, he's great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭lemonjelly

attention whore.

Dawkins is not an attention whore at all.He speaks the truth in his books. the
    attention whores are whoring in the church which is not reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not really. Name three people in the Vatican apart from the pope without using google? You can't. And if you can it's not because they're attention whores.

Dawkins doesn't love science; he hates religion and his hatred gets rewarded with attention, so he carries on with it. I'm not of the faith; if another person is then great, more power to them.

Orizio wrote: »
    People are whinging because its a shameless publicity event - they aren't doing anything worthwhile.

Maybe. Publicity for what though?

Hitchens is all bluster, it's true - but Dawkins, less so. Dawkins is of the educated opinion that the persistence of an organisation like the Catholic church is detrimental to the society around it. That's why he does stuff like this, to generate a fuss about a very real issue that in light of recent events should be taken more seriously. It is a publicity stunt, in that sense - he's trying to further a cause he's dedicated to, because as far as he's concerned it aids the greater good.

I have no doubt that any attempt by Dawkins to bring the Pope or his church to account for their abuses will fail - but it's worth doing, nonetheless, if it makes us stop and think for a moment why that should be so.

Why should somebody who's facilitated and sheltered that kind of institutional abuse and corruption be beyond account? Why shouldn't this organisation be treated the same as any other by the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

nothing will come of it. he is a head of state, which he will be for the rest of his days so nothing will happen. dawkins will be told to bog off by the police when he tries to serve the pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

nothing will come of it. he is a head of state, which he will be for the rest of his days so nothing will happen. dawkins will be told to bog off by the police when he tries to serve the pope.

I agree one hundred percent. Nothing will actually happen the pope, but I still think it is worth doing. Alot of people are whinging and giving out that Hitchens and Dawkins are publicity-mongers, which they are in a way, but no-one has come up with any better idea for protesting against Benny and his heinous crimes. If it makes people think a bit more about why he has immunity and why his organisation is treated with such kids-gloves, then I am all for it. As a symbolic protest it is well worth doing, and if it makes travel for the pope more awkward and difficult, like it does for other crooks like Kissinger or Livni or Mugabe, then it will have achieved something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It always amazes me what the main religions can get away with. If this was a private company (I exclude banks from this - they can apparently also do what they like) where this kind of abuse went on then the CEO would be serving a long jail sentence. Why is the pope any different? He personally covered up for known paedophiles and is STILL doing it. Let's be clear - these people are raping children and the pope gives his blessing. How can anyone defend him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

professore wrote: »
    It always amazes me what the main religions can get away with. If this was a private company (I exclude banks from this - they can apparently also do what they like) where this kind of abuse went on then the CEO would be serving a long jail sentence. Why is the pope any different? He personally covered up for known paedophiles and is STILL doing it. Let's be clear - these people are raping children and the pope gives his blessing. How can anyone defend him ?

But he is not a CEO, he is a head of state which gives him immunity. and who do you have to thank for that, why filthy nazis like Benito Musolini for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Forget it Dawkins, you can't beat (vatican) City Hall.

Advertisement