Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some ideas on what to do for Music Practical

Options
  • 11-04-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th Year right now, doing Music at HL for my Leaving Cert. I was interested in doing both guitar and piano for my exam, but my music teacher said I'd need about a Grade 5 standard on piano. Seeing as I finished a Grade 3 exam about 4-5 years ago and never really went back to piano, would it be impossible to get to this level? What sort of songs would be playable for me?
    I'm not really sure where as far as guitar goes; I have been playing for about 3 years and can play pretty decently but I find anything I play sounds very empty on it's own and I worry it will bore the examiner. Are there any good, full sounding songs for guitar?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

First off, you don't NEED to be a grade 5, it's suggested. How many people do you reckon take up music in ty/5th year and have only basics? A LOT. I have my practical this friday, best advice I can give you is to pick pieces that are all differ on tempo and genre. If you decide against doing one of your instruments Music Technology is VEEEEERRRRRRRY EASY.

Above all don't teacher dictate what your doing, there's very few music teachers in this country that are both good teachers, musicians and not snobs. Luckly I have one of those good teachers. Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thanks. So it's still possible to do something a little lower than Grade 5 and still be able to get full marks if it's varied and played well?

I was looking into Music Technology, looks like a bit of a doddle but apparently I have to do 4 synth pieces as well, no idea what point of reference to go to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clio13

im doing my practical next friday. im doing music technology and all thats needed is to input either two 2-part pieces or one 4-part piece. you give the examiner a list of about 5 edits you can do and they'll ask you maybe three. its a seriously easy option and you're almost guarenteed good marks in it.

im also singing but accompanying myself on guitar. i didnt know that you could get marked on both until last week but you can so if you can sing in tune at all i would advise that. it would also solve the problem of it sounding bare. or if you want to be marked solely on guitar you could get someone else to sing for you or to play a different instrument with you. they wont be mark but you will be mark on your guitar playing skill. for example theres a girl in my class being marked on her guitar playing but has someone playing the melody to the song on violin.

you get marked just the same as if you were playing on your own but with the bonus of having people with you. im singing in a group and its great for settling nerves.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Thanks. So it's still possible to do something a little lower than Grade 5 and still be able to get full marks if it's varied and played well?

I was looking into Music Technology, looks like a bit of a doddle but apparently I have to do 4 synth pieces as well, no idea what point of reference to go to here.

Nope it's basically an extra sight reading test, put it in make a few edits. your done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thanks for the help guys, it's put my mind at ease a bit. Just as a matter of interest, what pieces are you doing for the Practical?

• Advertisement

I'm playing bass and doing 2 songs of Technology

Soul Man - The Blues Brothers
    Birthday - The Beatles
    Like a Stone - AudioSlave
    Pretty Fly (for a white guy) - The Offspring

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I'm playing 4 songs on guitar and music technology(handy);

Dancing In The Moonlight - Thin Lizzy
    Use Somebody - Kings Of Leon
    Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
    Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry

They're this Tuesday the 13th so lets pray to God they go well because they're worth 50%!!....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'm playing 6 songs on guitar

The Passing
    Laid To Rest
    Reclamation - all 3 by Lamb Of God
    Them Bones
    Dam That River - both by Alice In Chains
    You Shook Me All Night Long - by AC/DC

Not as varied as some would suggest but I didn't know you needed that much variation till a few days ago.

And you don't need to worry about sounding empty, you can use backing tracks! I'm using ones exported from GuitarPro, I just download the tab of whatever song from UG and that can export it as a sound file. Burn it to a CD and you're done.

I'm only playing 3 years now, you've a year on me and I've been told I should do well with them apart from the variation side of things. There's not really a grading system on most songs for guitar, so once you're not taking the p*ss just playing power chords for the whole thing you should be fine!

I'm playing 6 songs on guitar

The Passing
    Laid To Rest
    Reclamation - all 3 by Lamb Of God
    Them Bones
    Dam That River - both by Alice In Chains
    You Shook Me All Night Long - by AC/DC

Not as varied as some would suggest but I didn't know you needed that much variation till a few days ago.

And you don't need to worry about sounding empty, you can use backing tracks! I'm using ones exported from GuitarPro, I just download the tab of whatever song from UG and that can export it as a sound file. Burn it to a CD and you're done.

I'm only playing 3 years now, you've a year on me and I've been told I should do well with them apart from the variation side of things. There's not really a grading system on most songs for guitar, so once you're not taking the p*ss just playing power chords for the whole thing you should be fine!

You'd be sursprised!! My teacher was telling me just before the easter holidays that she's had guys going in who'd learned their INSTRUMENTS weeks before the exam, went in and strumed and did well. It all depends on the age and education of your examiner.

Advertisement