Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Options
  • 11-04-2010 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Finally got round to dusting off my Wii and playing this. I'd read and heard so many good things about it I felt it was about time i gave it some attention.

About 2 hours in and its standard Zelda fare so far. Lots of; get this, bring it to someone, they give you something else, you bring it to another person etc. Eventually you get that little Zelda jingle to let you know you've figured out a puzzle and things move on.

One aspect that is very apparent though is how sh*t the game looks. Maybe i've been spoiled with the xbox 360 and games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Just Cause 2 that i've been playing but TTP really looks muck. I actually googled to see if the game was some sort of Gamecube port. It turns out its not but was originally developed for the GC so in a way it sort of is a port.

Loving the controls, not too finicky yet. I doubt i'll remember all the attack moves and just stick with one that i use repeatedly.

So, anyone been playing this recently?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I've been playing it off and on lately,I'm find the puzzles really frustrating at times,the solutions are usually quite simple but i'm always trying to find some elaborate answer to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Youve gotta remember as well that it was a Wii launch title so they didnt know how far they could actually push the console at that point and yes it is effectively a port from the GC.
    Game gets better once you start hitting temples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

It looks pretty good to me...
    It was released in 2006 like...and is a gamecube game.

Still a superb, amazing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It takes a good few hours before it really gets into its stride (after the first
    wolf transformation
    )
    Tempted to pick this one up again soon, definitely my favourite launch title of all time (even if it was just a GC game with Wii controls tacked on)

I'm assuming that you're using a component cable and 480p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For me it was the only game worth playing on the wii :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

calex71 wrote: »
    For me it was the only game worth playing on the wii :(

For me it was this and Godfather, maybe madden before it became a cartoon. Other than that my wii sat unused and then got traded. Haven't missed it, not one other game has come out that I wanted to play. (Sorry mario galaxy, I'm just not that into you.)

But Twilight Princess was amazing, absolutely loved it, probably my second favourite zelda behind Link to the Past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually think Twilight Princess is a gorgeous looking game. Technically it's vastly inferior to newer stuff but the art direction is excellent. I'd rather look at TT than generic boring games like Just Cause 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I was a long time Zelda player and had my hopes set high by Twilight Princess, unfortunately I was left disappointed by it, and never had the urge to go back to it after it was finished, as I do with must Zeldas. Which is strange, because there's a lot more meat on the bones of this one, if you enjoy it, but I just didn't feel it had a charm like the others.

On the subject of graphics, the Wind Waker looks like the more recent game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tman wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you're using a component cable and 480p?

No! Dammit, that might be why it looks so poor, I just have it hooked up with the normal yellow (composite?) cable.

i'll check ebay for a component adapter.

edit: just googled the difference, the pic on the right is exactly what i see here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quarryman wrote: »
    No! Dammit, that might be why it looks so poor, I just have it hooked up with the normal yellow (composite?) cable.

i'll check ebay for a component adapter.

edit: just googled the difference, the pic on the right is exactly what i see here.

Well that's your problem those yellow red and white cables give the worst possible picture and I don't understand how anyone can use them. Component is a massive improvement. In fact even a real RGB scart connection is like going from one generation of console to the next the difference in quality is so big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It should look a little bit better if you get a component cable then.
    It still won't look great (just like all Wii games on a HD TV), but is an improvement nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i thought the wii comes with a component adapter? :pac: at least mine does.

TP is still one of the best looking game i 've ever seen!i think i can see the less impressive technical aspects of the game but the artistic effect makes the game looks very modern and sharp. on the other hand,Mario galaxy also have awesome visuals,which is just another example that show how awesome Nintendo is :pac:

I've gotten a lot a flak from some ignorant uncharted 2 fanboys for thinking this but Muramasa on the Wii is by far the best looking game of this generation and a Boy and his Blob is gorgeous as well, it looks like you are playing a studio ghibli film. Just goes to show that good art can be better than any technical achievement. It's why Wind Waker will always be a stunning looking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I now maintain that the game is best played... abstractly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Rhyme wrote: »
    I now maintain that the game is best played... abstractly.

wtf is going on there? *confused*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

quarryman wrote: »
    wtf is going on there? *confused*

Exactly.

(It extends the clawshots range to the length of the current map and allows them to hook into anything, the 'cheats' also increase everything associated with the spinners velocity. You can break the game really easily but it speeds up the boring parts.)

speaking of which, (big) Midna is so damn hot btw.

get a component cable!!!!XD

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

seraphimvc wrote: »
    speaking of which, (big) Midna is so damn hot btw.

get a component cable!!!!XD

Please dont go there, theres some scary ****ing websites out there devoted to people expressing their love for midna

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved this game, yet still havent completed it after two attempts. 1st time my college house mate deleted my 30+ hour game so she could start her own, then i got to a similar place recently, but stopped playing.

Ocarina was still better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kiith wrote: »
    Ocarina was still better though.

Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. I'd say I've played through it about 8 times, and there are very few games I can say that about.

Windwaker is the best looking Zelda game.

I played Twilight Princess through once and enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't play through it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Never could bring myself to finish TP. Theres only so many times you can play the same game all over again and TP was just giving me deja vu. Collect hearts, find temple of fire/ice/water/wind etc, defeat boss, go to next temple, etc etc.. If ever a franchise needed to do something drastic with its gamepaly, its Zelda. The core game hasnt changed since link to the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played this on the Gamecube, and binged on it, completing it in about a week which I've never done before (probably a good four or five hours every day). Since I haven't played it since then, I don't remember all the little details, but I do remember loving the experience. In many ways it basically is Ocriana of Time, but feels more epic. The fun diversions and mini-games added more variety, the locations were a nice mix of old and new, and the art design was great, in a completely different way to Wind Waker. I didn't have a bad thing to say about it at the time, but is definitely a game I'd like to play through again at some point. Definitely far superior to the DS games, which have some imaginative dungeons but are weighed down by a few weird design flaws and repetitive travelling from place to place (Spirit Tracks in particular, where the train gimmick often overstays its welcome).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Never could bring myself to finish TP. Theres only so many times you can play the same game all over again and TP was just giving me deja vu. Collect hearts, find temple of fire/ice/water/wind etc, defeat boss, go to next temple, etc etc.. If ever a franchise needed to do something drastic with its gamepaly, its Zelda. The core game hasnt changed since link to the past.

I have a copy of Twilight Princess but can't bring myself to play it for that reason. I really want to but with little time vs other unplayed games i find it hard to want to pick this one from the shelf.

If I get a free weekend and its pissing rain then I might try and blitz through it.

On the subject of gameplay;
    I did play the Phantom Hourglass on the DS while on holiday last year and really enjoyed it. I thought the puzzles/ dungeons were really imaginative (especially making an impression of the map from the top screen, absolute genius) so I think the Zelda team are making steps in the right direction...

I found the DS games to be very ho-hum. The control scheme isn't accurate and gives me cramps after awhile, I much prefer to use the d-pad and found them to be an absolute breeze and really didn't find them that compelling. Still great games but just not up to the standard of previous zeldas. Twilight Princess was way better.

cant finish DS's Phantom Hourglass or the Spirit Train but my brothers said they are good,pity i just really not into that kinda artwork(the egyptian eye Link),same reason that i didnt finish the final bit of Wind Waker,the sailing was just too tiring during at that stage i played.

also Nintendo want me to use the touch screen to swing my sword in the ds games, they didnt give the option to allow you use d-pad, a totally 'WTF' imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with the DS games is that the padding feels more forced than the best Zelda games, and I'd include TP in that (although Wind Waker did have 'that ****ing triforce segements section'). The dungeons are fantastic, especially in Spirit Tracks, where they cleverly subvert the dungeon cliches from Phantom Hourglass and give all items entirely new meaning. But the train sections get really annoying, with forced and irritating 'challenge', such as dodging those damn devil trains or going back and forth towards spots (the teleporters don't help enough). Same with the repetitive dungeon in Phantom Hourglass. It is a shame, because they can be very imaginative and fun games too, just too many quirks compared to Twilight Princess and the like.

Advertisement