Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone recommend a wireless dsl router that will actually work?

• 11-04-2010 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

I tried vodafone's huawei hg 556 .
    It was a useless piece of garbage and could only send the signal if the computer was in the adjacent room to where the router was.
    I then tried the intellinet router from Harvey Normans.
    Same story piece of garbage couldn't send the signal down to the room where the computer is located.
    It was even worse than the vodafone router as we got absolutely no signal whatsoever.
    Where can I find a router that will work properly?
    We do have big thick walls in between where the router is located and the computer that is receiving the wireless signal but the distance really isn't that far. It's just down a hallway about 30 feet I guess.
    Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Your walls are the issue, not the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

you could try this one i had same problem and this sorted it

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6758916/Trail/searchtext%3ENET+GEAR.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wireless isn't some magic shít that goes through everything, it depends on the structure of Your house. Concrete and stone walls will drastically slow it or stop it completely. Run a cable and add another access point that side of the house or use homeplugs, You won't get a signal through a big thick wall no matter what wifi router You use.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You may want to look into the placement, rather then the model. Obviously going through concrete walls will limit the wireless signal.

You could try another device that might suit you more. One of those home plug adapters. Allows you to send your network through your electrical sockets, rather then wirelessly.

Here's a link to some models.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=home+plug&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=3956653740&ref=pd_sl_4uxoacp3b5_e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I'm not going to spend 99 euros on a router.
    The most I'd be willing to spend is 60 euros.

Those plugs seem like a dodgy solution to me. I don't know how they work and I'm afraid to buy them in case it doesn't work and I don't want to have to buy a wireless router aswell as these plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

quinnd6 wrote: »

Those plugs seem like a dodgy solution to me. I don't know how they work and I'm afraid to buy them in case it doesn't work and I don't want to have to buy a wireless router aswell as these plugs.

Try changing the Wifi channel in your routers settings. Place the router on a high self. You could even try it in the attic if possible, to somewhat avoid the walls.

Depending on the model of your router, you might be able to attach better antennas

What wireless device does the PC have? Is it USB or PCI? PCI cards with their own antenna have much better range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Emmm so you'd prefer to spend 10 x 60 euros instead of 1 x 99 ?

I went through all the channels before on the vodafone router and the signal was too low.
    I didn't bother doing that with the Intellinet.
    I tried channel 11 and then channel 6 and both gave absolutely nothing so I thought whats the point? this is just not going to work.
    Unfortunately the ethernet cables you get with these routers are really short so moving the router to a high shelf wasn't an option.
    What I'm thinking of doing is getting a cheap router with 4 ethernet ports probably a belkin and getting a long 30 foot ethernet cable and run it from the router to the other room.
    I know its a kinda messy.
    Would this kinda cable be ok do you reckon?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/30-Feet-CAT-5-5e-RJ-45-Ethernet-Network-Patch-Cable-47_W0QQitemZ230343752051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a18eb973

I'm still open to other suggestions by the way and thanks for the replies so far guys.
    "10 X 60 euros" not sure what that means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Moving the router around with thick stone walls will do nothing unless its in the room. Buy these and you will be done.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Moving the router around with thick stone walls will do nothing unless its in the room. Buy these and you will be done.

Exactly what I was suggesting. They aren't dodgy, they do work. They do sound a bit magical all right, but it is a real technology.

I'm sure they would have them in a local(ish) bricks and mortar store. I've seen them in maplins, and I bought another set in a smallish computer strore in dungarvan.

• Advertisement

i tought the same thing so bought a roll of cat 5e cable there today wireless wouldn reach the new extension (thick walls) there's 3/4qtrs of the roll left on a 100 meter roll you could have it for 35 i payed 70 in maplins and have only used a tiny bit its an option and worked out perfect for me ill throw in free box of clips too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you don't want to spend more than €60 then forget about wireless. I got one of these Netgear WG302 it costs around €200 and still doesn't guarantee a good signal but was a vast improvement on the router I was using before.

I'd like to try those plugs but I live over a shop and the apartment has it's own meter separate from the shop, I'm piggybacking my broadband over their phone line (no phoneline comes into my apartment) and beaming it up to my apartment. I assume since we're using different meters with different bills I can't use the plugs even though we're in the same building. I'll ask if the halls are on the shops meter maybe I can do it that way and been the signal from upstairs.

I ordered a long cat5 cable on ebay for about a tenner from Hong Kong so now I just need a reliable wireless router that would have 4 ethernet ports.
    I'm gonna have the cat5 cable running from the router in my room to my brother's room.

The reason I want to get a wireless router is because I might buy a laptop at some point in the future so it would be nice to have wi fi.
    200 euros for a router is a lot more than I'd be willing to spend.

If the signal from the router worked in my bedroom and maybe another couple of rooms a short distance away I'd be happy.
    Anyway is this one good?
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEK340761&productID=S3107041

It's a Linksys WRT54GL-UK.
    They're meant to be a good brand aren't they?
    And listed as compatible with xbox 360 also I think?
    Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For G, there is not anything else I could possibly reccomend besides the WRT54GL.

What can I say, its a reliable router. Im using one now. But now that you ask: for signal? Brother, if I take the laptop downstairs the connection speed gets halved. And I have no reason to suspect there is a better G router on the market today.

You can buy Range Extending Antennae for them. Havent tried them myself on a useful basis: bought some for my mom when I was down at christmas, her whole house is thick concrete construction. Seemed to offer minor improvement.

You could try N, but I havent found a reliable one yet. Linksys WRT610N is a dud, sadly, and the connection frequently dropped, and slowed down major even on cat5e. Hence I've put the WRT54GL back into service. When it works though, N does have a lot of advantages over G, including extended range.

Take other's advice. At this point you should have enough routers to string an Access Point into every room of your home!

I'm finding it very hard to make up my mind on a router there's so many out there and you see a lot of bad reviews for all of them.
    I'm probably better off getting an N router as it might have better range but I don't know.
    I'm now thinking of getting this one the Netgear Rangemax Wireless NX WNR1000 router UK.
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MME0711942#

It is about 63 euros on elara including postage and it's an N router.
    Does anyone know is the range good and is it reliable?

Aw just checked amazon and 5 bad reviews against it.
    http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-150-Wireless-Router/product-reviews/B001UI4RTG/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Is there any decent reliable N routers available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm finding it very hard to make up my mind on a router there's so many out there and you see a lot of bad reviews for all of them.
    I'm probably better off getting an N router as it might have better range but I don't know.
    I'm now thinking of getting this one the Netgear Rangemax Wireless NX WNR1000 router UK.
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=MME0711942#

It is about 63 euros on elara including postage and it's an N router.
    Does anyone know is the range good and is it reliable?

Aw just checked amazon and 5 bad reviews against it.
    http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-150-Wireless-Router/product-reviews/B001UI4RTG/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Is there any decent reliable N routers available?
    The router can be a good as you like, but there are still legal limits on how much power an 802.11 radio can pump out. If it's all getting absorbed by your thick walls, there's nothing a change in model will do for you.

Rethink placement. Make sure it's not up against anything dense (walls, metal radiators, etc.). Consider getting a second access point and running them in parallel.

some strange reviews on that alright iv had it a year and have had not one single issue cant use it any more changed to magnet broadband and cant use anyother modem router which is **** cause the one they gave us wont reach the extension so had to run a wire from modem out to the extension :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Overheal wrote: »
    You can buy Range Extending Antennae for them.
    Shyte. Wireless is just shyte, it's something the devil invented to infuriate mankind.

If you can get a plug in you attic maybe use a mix of the plugs and wireless.

Yes I agree with you there Scumlord.

Its 2010 you would think technology would have improved at this stage.
    Hopefully the next router I get will be better.

I'm going to get a wireless N usb adapter aswell because the one I've been trying with the other routers was a g and maybe thats part of the reason why the signal wasn't getting far enough.

I've sent back 3 routers already. The 3rd one was a complete dud off ebay.
    Maybe number 4 will be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Even Superman cant see through lead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've sent back 3 routers already. The 3rd one was a complete dud off ebay.
    Maybe number 4 will be better.

Run a cable ffs

Yes thats what I'm going to do if the signal of the next router doesn't reach far enough.
    I think I'll go for that netgear WNR1000.
    Does anyone know does that router work with DSL broadband or is it cable only cos then its no good?

Nevermind I think I might forget about wireless altogether.
    I was wondering would I be able to plug one of these into my DSL modem and allow multiple pcs to connect at the same time.
    My modem has only one ethernet port so would that be a problem?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/8Port-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Switch-hub-RJ45_W0QQitemZ310208474117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL?hash=item4839ddac05

The modem I have has an ethernet port and a usb port and is a BT Voyager 210 adsl router.

Advertisement