Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does having a flash at the side really matter when shooting in portrait mode.

• 11-04-2010 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I have a flash unit which does not rotate for bounce in portrait mode. (Nikon sb400) It just tilts vertically.

Although I haven't really had a chance to play around properly with it, I was wondering if some experts could give an opinion for me.

As the flash only tilts vertically for bounce, if I am taking shots in portrait mode with the camera at 90 deg and the flash on the left, does it make much difference if the flash is here and not able to bounce off the ceiling. lf so, in this instance would a diffuser help or not?

I have taken a few and not noticed a whole lot of difference but then again I am a beginner so it's probably not something that would be obvious to me yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can get an off camera thing that lets you switch it from landscape to portait quite easily. they do them on dealextreme.com, not sure where to look though, a friend of mine picked one up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Depends what your after. It's all aesthetics really. There is no hard and fast rule. You could bounce the light off a white wall. I prefer light coming in from the front and side of the subject. Bounce from the ceiling tends to produce blackish sockets for eyeballs and no catchlight in the eyes.

You could follow the advice above and get the flash off camera, but you will most probably have to use the flash in manual mode. Are you comfortable with that? Does your model allow it? I know some of the older Canon flashes don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

most brackets are designed to work with an off camera cord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

batman1 wrote: »
    I have taken a few and not noticed a whole lot of difference but then again I am a beginner so it's probably not something that would be obvious to me yet.

I've found that the shadows sometimes are a bit off-putting if you\re using the camera in portrait - sometimes you get a bit of a shadow to the right of the nose as you're looking at the image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have canon off-camera flash cord that does the job. Getting or borrowing the cheapest wireless triggers would sort your issue if you handle manual settings of the flash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement