Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

County Cycling Jersies

• 11-04-2010 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Stumbled across these gems (see attached photos) in a cycling shop in Tralee recently. Gave one as a pressie to an open-minded Dublin friend of mine and he either:
    a) was genuinely delighted.
    b) was half jarred
    c) should quit the day job and take up acting or
    d) all of the above.

Anyway, I thought if it had been a Dublin Jersey he would have been even more delighra and excira!

Anyway, back to the bike shop in Tralee. The guy there had someone design them for him and got 30 of them made by a company in Italy ( www.giessegi.com ) and flogs them now to cyclists with a heightened sense of county affiliation for 55 euros a pop.

If you think you'd like to do something similar for another county, or are one of those people who can only really sleep well when wearing a Kerry cycling jersey, let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I like that! It's better than the football jersey. Which shop is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GearoidP

lescol wrote: »
    I like that! It's better than the football jersey. Which shop is it in?

Hi - I got those jersies in O'Halloran's bike shop in Tralee (83 Boherbue, Tralee. Tel (066) 7122820). I'm a Kerryman exiled in Dublin and was recently cycling in Co. Tyrone with my Ciarrai Jersey - have to say about 5 people approached me that day with the bit of banter about Kerry -v- Tyrone and added to the craic of cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's a nice idea for a cycling jersey. I think your open minded Dublin friend was glad it wasn't that other green and gold jersey you were giving him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

They are the dogs bo%£ox i want one (not a kerry one but you know what i mean)

My OH is in Tralee tomorrow so will call in to see if there are any left.

• Advertisement

lescol wrote: »
    My OH is in Tralee tomorrow so will call in to see if there are any left.

You can tell him there's a potential market for any excess Ciarrai jersies to have "an Mhi" sellotaped over them and flogged off to some unsuspecting "patriotic" Royals! I think Donegal and Leitrim punters would be too cute to fall for that, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Wonder could I muster demand for a Wicklah one. They're pretty cool-retro even! Well done, great spot sir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Kerry as far as I know has its own cycling county board and they take alot of pride in the Ras team etc.

So will be alot easier to come across a 'Ciarrai' cycling jersey than other counties.

On a related matter I tried to muster some opinion on boards relating to county teams in the Ras a few weeks back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65160341

Didn't get 1 response!!

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Wonder could I muster demand for a Wicklah one. They're pretty cool-reetro even! Well done, great spot sir

I reckon if you could get Mick O'Dwyer to model a prototype Wickla cycling jersey, you could see a big uptake not just in the Garden county but also in Laois, Kildare, and Kerry!

"Seriously though" I think there's a market for these jerseys alright. The guy in O'Halloran's bike shop got 30 Kerry jersies made up and it was worth his while. All it would take would probably be to get his design, change the colours and change the text from Ciarrai to your county and then do a few laps of your town and cyclists young and old would be beating a (cycle) path to your house! mmmmm... :D What's the name of that website to put your ideas to get us all out of recession??

Have my jersey, I believe he has one medium left. My OH says he was inundated with calls since someone put his name up on the internet:D so today he was ordering more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

It's a nice idea for a cycling jersey. I think your open minded Dublin friend was glad it wasn't that other green and gold jersey you were giving him ;)

Bike shop in Navan does sell Meath version, not as nice as the Kerry one though.

alfalad wrote: »
    Bike shop in Navan does sell Meath version, not as nice as the Kerry one though.

Ciarrai Cycling jersey meets the most famous village in Meath (photo attached), if not Ireland! Please submit all pictures of County Cycling jersies in exotic places to this thread!

By the way does anyone know how to get photos to appear in full in the post rather than as an attachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

GearoidP wrote: »
    Ciarrai Cycling jersey meets the most famous village in Meath (photo attached), if not Ireland! Please submit all pictures of County Cycling jersies in exotic places to this thread!

By the way does anyone know how to get photos to appear in full in the post rather than as an attachment?

Gearoid I am sure u r real popular with the locals with that jersey on!

keep an eye out for Navan Man!

HAHA that's great! Is that a new bike Gearóid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would resize the image first as a huge pic like that will make the post harder to read.

Once you have uploaded the image, you copy the image URL and add it to your post using the [ IMG] tag (or by clicking on the yellow 'landscape' icon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I want a Dubs jersey. Reckon I would I could get a good few buyers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wouldn't want one -even if it was a Dublin one!!!

Why?

Because they look like GAA jerseys, which I equate with summer cyclists - I wouldn't like to create the impression I only cycle when it's nice weather :)

Although to complete that look I'd need not only a GAA jersey (or cycling jersey that looks like a GAA jersey), but also football shorts and runners:)

However, I will be getting one - the Meath jersey I currently use to degrease my chain with is pretty much worn out and I need something to replace it with:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Ha ha that village is about 10km from the home spot!

Don't worry Kerry people are well liked in Meath it's the Cork people who would want to watch out! :D

I'll have photos from Austria with the Meath jersey in a couple of weeks.

HAHA that's great! Is that a new bike Gearóid?

Yes - expertly assembled by the professionals (including James) in Duff's Cycles in the Omni Centre in Santry! Look, if you want a Kerry Cycling Jersey just come straight out and ask for it. I won't tell anyone that you're James from Duff's......:D

Advertisement