Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondeo Mk3, problems etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I bought one, April last year. 02, diesel, 117k, nct, FSH new rubber, brakes, valeted, etc, etc.. €3500. Seen a few petrol ones also for `€2k-ish. Have they gone up in price since then?

I have found the bonnet switch in mine is dodgy. Bypassing it today. Generally reliable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

squod wrote: »
    I bought one, April last year. 02, diesel, 117k, nct, FSH new rubber, brakes, valeted, etc, etc.. €3500. Seen a few petrol ones also for `€2k-ish. Have they gone up in price since then?

I have found the bonnet switch in mine is dodgy. Bypassing it today. Generally reliable IMO.
    where was that? Im looking around and the best (with some nct left) is the one I linked to earlier. In saying that, youd probably pay no more than 2.2k going by the carzone price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

check the inside edges of the doors at the bottom, esp the back doors, as there was an issue with the paint and they are prone to a bit of rust. its not a major thing, but may be a good bargining tool.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    where was that? Im looking around and the best (with some nct left) is the one I linked to earlier. In saying that, youd probably pay no more than 2.2k going by the carzone price

Local trader magazine Cavan/Meath/Monaghan. Carzone prices are more than a little misleading IMO. Have you bought buy&sell on Sat?

check the inside edges of the doors at the bottom, esp the back doors, as there was an issue with the paint and they are prone to a bit of rust. its not a major thing, but may be a good bargining tool.

Yep rubbers around the windows can leak also. One to watch.

• Advertisement

Local trader magazine Cavan/Meath/Monaghan. Carzone prices are more than a little misleading IMO. Have you bought buy&sell on Sat?
    nah, isnt Buy&sell more geared towards private sales? I am only looking at car dealers, wouldnt touch a private sale as no comeback.

Yep, B&S for private sales. There's still a few dealers around with sensable prices though. Seem to remember this place quoting reasonable prices before.
    Dunno about now.
    http://www.glasnevinautos.ie/usedcars.php?make_id=26&model_id=259&price_id=

Yep, B&S for private sales. There's still a few dealers around with sensable prices though. Seem to remember this place quoting reasonable prices before.
    Dunno about now.
    http://www.glasnevinautos.ie/usedcars.php?make_id=26&model_id=259&price_id=
    Yeah they are normally quite good (and just down the road from me) but the 2 there would be a bit out of price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I am sure someone mentioned in another post about the mondeo diesel prone to clutch and flywheel failure after 100k , looking for the tread , will put up link if I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

nah, isnt Buy&sell more geared towards private sales? I am only looking at car dealers, wouldnt touch a private sale as no comeback.

I wont absolutely disagree with your statement but will somewhat disagree with your reasoning Max Power1. No doubt it will vary from dealer to dealer but quite often in my experience a written guarntee from many dealers is no more than worth the paper it is written on. Do bear in mind that more than likely a guarntee you will get from any dealer on a car such as that you have linked to will be a three month guarntee on the engine, gearbox and back axle only.....whatever a back axle is on a 2001 Mondeo???

There is a 2001 Mondeo Duratec 1.8 in this family and although it seems a nice smooth, powerful and comfortable car it is not without its faults. Brakes seem to be a weak point in them...not overly reassuring and the handbrake has stopped working completely of late too:eek: ...Must try to have a look at that next weekend. Also the previous owner did say he needed to replace a rear caliper not long before he sold the car to my brother which he said was an expensive job. Brothers Mondeo also seems to have a considerable appetitie for tyres and rear nearside tyre is continuiously wearing down unevenly despite him replacing bushings and shock and having it tracked on a number of occassions. Also front shcok completely collapsed on him once for no apparent reason which he then replaced. Apart from this the rubbers around the inside tops of the front doors were worked loose when he got the car, leading to considerable road noise. He pushed them back in and they have not caused him any problems since.

I have read also that swirl flaps in the injectors on the duratec Mondeo can give and are expensive but touch would brother has had no problems in this regard. As far as I recall reading also it was suggested that the duratec engine is a somewhat better choice than the Zetec for various reasons but would imagine that the Zetec is perhaps more readily available on forecourts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055876078&highlight=mondeo+clutch
    This is the link but it seems to be just be the diesel it refers to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

have a 03 Zetec, with 140+k miles up on her.

Replaced coil pack twice, one wheel bearing, and cat convertor (driving with dodgy coil pack instead of pulling over for a tow to blame there, so my fault more than the cars!!)

In fairness, i know it sounds like a lot, but in general i find the car quite reliable, i've had her for 6 1/2 years (bought an ex demo) and most of that has been trouble free driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.8 litre LX only has 110bhp which is pretty poor for that capacity even back then and is a dog for any sort of overtaking. The higher spec 1.8 litre Zetec model has 15bhp more which makes a world of difference. They are also better speced, eg:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201014197562330

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201011197249400

gatecrash wrote: »
    have a 03 Zetec, with 140+k miles up on her.

Replaced coil pack twice, one wheel bearing, and cat convertor (driving with dodgy coil pack instead of pulling over for a tow to blame there, so my fault more than the cars!!)

In fairness, i know it sounds like a lot, but in general i find the car quite reliable, i've had her for 6 1/2 years (bought an ex demo) and most of that has been trouble free driving.
    That sounds like not much hassle for almost 7years of driving, and putting up fair amount of mileage to be fair

@Bazz26 - pity that 1st link is in longford! Its exactly what im looking for tbh

Im sure theres good and bad in every model though and it seems, bar the inlet manifold issue, that there shouldnt be much to worry about.

Re the Zetec engines, werent they replaced with Duratec solely, when the Mk3 was launched in 2000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That sounds like not much hassle for almost 7years of driving, and putting up fair amount of mileage to be fair

@Bazz26 - pity that 1st link is in longford! Its exactly what im looking for tbh

Im sure theres good and bad in every model though and it seems, bar the inlet manifold issue, that there shouldnt be much to worry about.

Re the Zetec engines, werent they replaced with Duratec solely, when the Mk3 was launched in 2000?

Alot of info on Duratec here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

Zetec became a trim level similar to LX or Ghia from the mid 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

We also had a 1.8 duratec for three years.
    Only issue was the coil pack ( a known issue with these cars) cost me 78 euro and 3 minutes to fit.
    Otherwise plenty of go and a nice drive, couldn't recommend them enough.

By contrast we inherited a C4 and cannot wait to get rid of it.........

We also had a 1.8 duratec for three years.
    Only issue was the coil pack ( a known issue with these cars) cost me 78 euro and 3 minutes to fit.
    Otherwise plenty of go and a nice drive, couldn't recommend them enough.

By contrast we inherited a C4 and cannot wait to get rid of it.........
    Glad to hear the positive review! 2-2.5k would represent a large enough outlay for me in this climate so its good to hear the positivity. On the C4 - I dont know anyne who has/had a citroen that would reflect positively on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I also have owned a 2002 1.8 LX since January this year and I am very happy with it. I had to replace the thermostat and also removed the swirl flaps, but other than it has been very reliable so far. It's a bit underpowered but fine if you are not a mad overtaker!

If you are looking at one, listen for any clattering noises from the inlet manifold as this will indicate that the swirl flaps are in a bad way.

Advertisement