Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of use of Georgian Dublin?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭

I gather there has been a new trend of large Georgian/Victorian houses in the D4 area (town side of Ballsbridge for instance) reverting from flats to private residence as its a potential way of buying a "cheap" large house. Mainly driven by the fact that there is now a decent supply of apartments. Might be a very slow trend as the refurbihment costs are no doubt high.

Any others out there, any chance of seeing places like Merrion sq. reverting to residential over the 30 years? I've noted some companies I deal with which have moved from places like Pembroke St out to Sandyford and the buildings are still empty. I'd love to see this happen but maybe inertia etc will get in the way? However although some companies might like the addess on the other hand they are a poor use of space compared to modern offices

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is a trend which has been ongoing for decades in Ballsbridge and spread to Ranelagh and Rathmines over 20 years ago. In the City Centre the trend is less pronounced. Houses in Merrion Square etc, do not lend themselves to single residential use as readily as houses in the suburbs. The houses are larger and are more difficult and expensive to maintain. There are difficulties about off-street parking and the householder can be isolated when all of the neighbouring properties are used for business purposes only.
    There have been some houses in Fitzwilliam Square upgraded for residential use. They have tended to be in the trophy house category, and are not the main residence of their owners.
    This development will certainly stall in the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There's a few of the big Georgians on Mount St Crescent that are residential, and one of them (I think no. 8) has the full house as a single unit, It's on daft and very expensive.

Would love one of the 2 storey over basements (Pearse Square, Royal Canal Bank, for example) myself, pipe dream i'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Mount St, Mount St Crescent and the Squares are really big for residential and parking can be an issue.

It is also true that they are less and less attractive as office space.

I'd say a lot of them will end up converted into large-ish apartments.

Most of these houses are in good shape and refurb costs wouldn't actually be that high. The main issues would be around conservation - fitting in kitchens, bathrooms, etc. in an appropriate way.

However, this property will still be expensive enough!

Buying a house that is in flats was never a cheap option! It happened because of the major demand for high-end houses in those areas. You will always get a better return (in rental terms) on a house if it is split into flats like this. The conversion of these houses into residential was not really driven by the availability of modern apartments.

Advertisement