Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO deadline looming:Third level student dilemma

Options
  • 11-04-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise a second year student who needs to make a decision about their course before the CAO deadline?

They are studying Environmental Management at DIT and have a strong appreciation of the enhanced employment prospects resulting from the course and the importance of it in the scheme of life.

However, they just can't develop an interest in it.

They understand that in order to excel in this subject area with a view to masters and PhD study level they need to do additional study/reading rather than the bare minimum of the course work which is presently the case.

They have the option to transfer to Planning but they are also unsure of their interest in that. The subjects that they have consistently been interested in since childhood are military and political history but are concerned about the practical application of a qualification in this area i.e.employment prospects. They are also obviously concerned about the fee implications of starting again.

Can anyone recommend a comprehensive study/careers guidance service, preferably free of charge but paid if necessary?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice on any of the above mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Apologies if this is (slightly) off topic, but when is the cao deadline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Yorky wrote: »
    Can anyone advise a second year student who needs to make a decision about their course before the CAO deadline?

They are studying Environmental Management at DIT and have a strong appreciation of the enhanced employment prospects resulting from the course and the importance of it in the scheme of life.

However, they just can't develop an interest in it.

They understand that in order to excell in this subject area with a view to masters and PhD study level they need to do additional study/reading rather than the bare minimum of the course work which is presently the case.

They have the option to transfer to Planning but they are also unsure of their interest in that. The subjects that they have consistently been interested in since childhood are military and political history but are concerned about the practical application of a qualification in this area i.e.employment prospects. They are also obviously concerned about the fee implications of starting again.

Can anyone recommend a comprehensive study/careers guidance service, preferably free of charge but paid if necessary?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice on any of the above mentioned. Thanks in advance.

You're in DIT right?

http://www.dit.ie/careers/

http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/counselling/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

neil_18_ wrote: »

Yes but would like recommendation from someone who has used this or other service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Yorky wrote: »
    Yes but would like recommendation from someone who has used this or other service.

Wuh? Why not just cut to the chase and actually go to the service. Hearsay is never as good as the real thing.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I was in a very maths orientated course and after two years realised I didn't have the interest in it to do it properly. I applied to the CAO and started a much more suitable and enjoyable course centred around language. It can be hard when you're older than the rest of your class, when you can be seen as a failure or the eternal student and you certainly question yourself when you see your classmates with jobs&houses etc, but I feel I made the right decision.

There are always jobs out there if you want them.

Advertisement