Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tired of being ripped off.

Options
  • 11-04-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

[Rant]This morning i went into a certain shop on Henry Street which is known for being a little on the expensive side. This morning i ventured into this shop and i decided i would be relatively health conscious, and bought a bottle of orange juice, 2 croisants, 2 portions of jam, a banana and the Sunday independent, This came to €6.77 :eek: Another thing i've found in there is that if you order something from the deli the same thing might cost you different every time you order it depending on who you've got serving you. No i don't think i want to pay a euro extra because you feel that it should cost more than the person who served me yesterday.

I could have walked a couple of blocks and gotten a full cooked breakfast for that, An identical order to what i bought last weekend in Food fair on O'Connell St not more than a block from this other shop, cost almost €2.00 less, but was not open at 0900 this morning when i went to get my breakfast. So i was stuck with a walk down town or forking out some extra of my hard earned cash.

I'm not sure if i can mention the shop on here but i'm pretty sure that anyone who knows the area knows where i'm talking about.

If business people in this city were really concerned about staying open then maybe they should think about altering their greedy practices, and not charging ridiculous prices for everything.[/Rant]

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You shouldn't mention the shop on here as its libelous and boards.ie would be liable for your comments whether true or not.

However I know the shop you refer to and they certainly have to adhere to the standards of the wholesaler. The training is done so that a meat + 2 or meat + 3 sandwhich will always cost the same but as well you know a lot of shops are the same.

You ask for a roll with sausage and egg and they try to charge for a full breakfast roll.

The woman who runs the deli for all 3 of their stores is normally on the ball and when I did the training with her she was very concious of portion control and the like.

However, the same store charges for jam and butter where as most stores do not. I know a girl who uses them for outside catering but recently they are trying to charge for excessive use of serviettes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

€6 wasn't too bad for what you bought, considering it is about 2.50 for the sindo alone, add the 1.50 for the orange juice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

€6 wasn't too bad for what you bought, considering it is about 2.50 for the sindo alone, add the 1.50 for the orange juice as well.

I was thinking the same :o Maybe we're just getting immune to being ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

foinse wrote: »

I could have walked a couple of blocks and gotten a full cooked breakfast for that.

Do that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Guys, vote with your wallets.

If nobody buys from them then they will eventually either have to adjust their prices or cease trading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

bazz26 wrote: »
    Guys, vote with your wallets.

If nobody buys from them then they will eventually either have to adjust their prices or cease trading.

I generally do vote with my wallet, when it comes to this particular shop, but when you only have 45 mins for a break from work you don't want to be walking down town, as i said i've started going to food fair but was closed this morning.

Charging €0.40 for jam is a rip off no matter where you are. Also if you take out the OJ which was €1, and the paper which was €2.50, is it really acceptable to be paying 3.27 for 2 croissants and a banana? (lets not forget the jam) It might seem like the norm to us at this stage, but it's not acceptable, as i said in my OP the same purchase from another shop in the area (not open this morning) is almost €2 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

As a nation we have gotten so lazy with the amount of items available at a convenience and we are being charged a fortune for it.

It's the convenience you paid for and that cost varies from shop to shop. If you don't want to pay for convenience bring your breakfast to work with you and just pick up a paper on the way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

[Rant]This morning i went into a certain shop on Henry Street which is known for being a little on the expensive side. This morning i ventured into this shop and i decided i would be relatively health conscious, and bought a bottle of orange juice, 2 croisants, 2 portions of jam, a banana and the Sunday independent, This came to €6.77 :eek: Another thing i've found in there is that if you order something from the deli the same thing might cost you different every time you order it depending on who you've got serving you. No i don't think i want to pay a euro extra because you feel that it should cost more than the person who served me yesterday.

I could have walked a couple of blocks and gotten a full cooked breakfast for that, An identical order to what i bought last weekend in Food fair on O'Connell St not more than a block from this other shop, cost almost €2.00 less, but was not open at 0900 this morning when i went to get my breakfast. So i was stuck with a walk down town or forking out some extra of my hard earned cash.

I'm not sure if i can mention the shop on here but i'm pretty sure that anyone who knows the area knows where i'm talking about.

If business people in this city were really concerned about staying open then maybe they should think about altering their greedy practices, and not charging ridiculous prices for everything.[/Rant]

:mad:

Your first mistake was that you bought the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

[Rant] This morning i ventured into this shop and i decided i would be relatively health conscious, and bought a bottle of orange juice, 2 croisants, 2 portions of jam, a banana and the Sunday independent,
    Browney7 wrote: »
    Your first mistake was that you bought the Sunday Independent.

And your second mistake is that Crossaint's ain't healthy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Happen to find that shop is very good for deals. Try shop in centra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I know there is a spar shop near me and every time I come out of there I feel as though I have been mugged. that being said the only thing I think you are being ripped off for is the jam. which isn't healthy either . all that sugar - bad for the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

My gripe would be with the owner of that particular shop, I've been in there on three occasions where he was literally roaring and demeaning them at the tills by the door!!!! Everyone was shocked, the guy is a complete a**. Cycles in with his pants tucked into his socks and his crash helmet (that he probably sleeps in) squeezing the blood out of the vacuous space where his brain should be.

Staff can make mistakes and yes you should pull them on it but pulling them means not calling them thick and not roaring it at them in front of customers thats down right unprofessional. What are the staff going to do? Most of them are foreign nationals so if they get sacked or quit their stay in the country relies on them working. I use the shop regularly enough and I accept it'll be a lot more expensive but Tesco is open super hours these days so I have no one to blame but myself but I do accept the extra price is for the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

brettmirl wrote: »

here here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

brettmirl wrote: »

Maybe but it's healthier than the other available options, ie breakfast roll or greasy fry.

I can't believe that people on here are just willing to accept artificially high prices for 'convenience' as previously mentioned Ive been going to another shop within a block and getting my breakfast almost €2 cheaper, what gives this particular shop the right to charge more? Nothing but greed is driving that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Maybe but it's healthier than the other available options, ie breakfast roll or greasy fry.

I can't believe that people on here are just willing to accept artificially high prices for 'convenience' as previously mentioned Ive been going to another shop within a block and getting my breakfast almost €2 cheaper, what gives this particular shop the right to charge more? Nothing but greed is driving that man.

It's called a free market. Shops have the right to charge whatever they want. It's up to the customers to decide whether they want to pay it or not. Nobody is putting a gun to anybodies head to force them to shop in a particular store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

[Rant]which is known for being a little on the expensive side.

You knew it was expensive but you shopped there anyway so I wouldn't say you were ripped off. You made the choice to shop there. No one forced you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

There really is bigger things to be worrying about ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

These shops profit hugely from People who are in a hurry, just out for a quick lunch or just don't realise how expensive they are etc. The mark ups are massive.

- You really need to refuse to use them; Just imagine they closed down and then plan as if its just not an option for you.....!!!

With a bit of forward planning you could buy a really nice mixed lunch in the proper Supermarkets and you'd have your full 45 mins too instead of missing part of your break standing in a queue to support some angry Cyclist who shouts at his poor Staff.....

P.S. In agreement re. the Sunday Independent, they should pay you €2.50 to suffer it!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You'd be surprised. Obviously it will vary from place to place but a medium sized croissant has about 6.5gs of saturated fat while a 100g sausage has about 5.5g. A couple of sausages on a whole grain breadroll would probably be healthier than two croissants. Add a bit of cooked tomato and the sausage sandwich is definitely preferable from a health standpoint.

Neither is massively healthly and there is nothing wrong with just having whatever fatty crap you want in moderation, but it's worth keeping in mind that croissants are definitely not a healthy option to balance out your fry. Maybe make some homemade cereal bars with oats and dried fruit for the days you fancy healthy breakfast foods. It'll be better for you and stop you getting ripped off.:D

And christ man! The Sindo????:confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I went into a cafe in Adare today and was charged €8.20 for an orange juice and a bagel with just cheddar cheese on the top. Absolutely daylight robbery. They won't be seeing my custom again that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I paid 70c for a packet of Extra chewing gum in the Crescent last week, when it costs 50c everywhere else....... I felt raped ripped off:D!!

panda100 wrote: »
    I went into a cafe in Adare today and was charged €8.20 for an orange juice and a bagel with just cheddar cheese on the top. Absolutely daylight robbery. They won't be seeing my custom again that's for sure.

Shoulda left it all there at the Till; There's no embarrassment in politely declining daylight robbery.....

- Name and shame, if your facts are correct then you are entitled to say where it was and you might save a lot of People the bother of discovering for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

panda100 wrote: »
    have you got the receipt, put it up

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Sorry guys but sitting in a cab with no meter and not knowing the price, stuck in an airport with the last 10 seats on a airplane home with some airline about to screw for 6 times the price or employing the services of "PVC Gutter installers in a white van with yellow lights on the roof" are examples of getting the now favoured word "ripped off".

Going into your local shop and buying 4 or five items that all have the price on them and then shouting "tired of being ripped off" - your description of ripped off is another mans description of Free Market Economy.

The term "ripped off" is used as frequently now as baggage charges on a Ryanair flight. There is another debate but like the Spar or Centra you don't have to use them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Raiser wrote: »
    Shoulda left it all there at the Till; There's no embarrassment in politely declining daylight robbery.....

- Name and shame, if your facts are correct then you are entitled to say where it was and you might save a lot of People the bother of discovering for themselves.

I think the receipt is in my car somewhere Il try and dig it up tommorow.
    I'm really bad at complaining in places, so I just tutted and shuffled off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

hightower1 wrote: »
    My gripe would be with the owner of that particular shop, I've been in there on three occasions where he was literally roaring and demeaning them at the tills by the door!!!! Everyone was shocked, the guy is a complete a**. Cycles in with his pants tucked into his socks and his crash helmet (that he probably sleeps in) squeezing the blood out of the vacuous space where his brain should be.

I was thinking that the shop being referred to in this thread sounded familiar and now I'm certain I know where you're on about!! I have lost count of the times I have witnessed the owner of that place belittling his staff by screaming at them across the shop floor. I almost said it to him one day when, in the middle of serving at me, he stopped to shout from behind the till across to a girl working at the deli who he'd been eyeballing the entire time, waiting to pounce on her. He is quite literally, a pig and one day I'll cop on and stop lining his miserly pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

jezzz i must be gone from ireland too long, i was thinking that sounded pretty reasonable for what was got!! :confused:

all those small convenience stores are a rip off anyway

He is quite literally, a pig and one day I'll cop on and stop lining his miserly pockets.

Ah he knows you'll never stop going into his Shop and filling his Tills - He knows he can get away with it all, the profiteering, abusing his Staff, the Diego Cycling Helmet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Raiser wrote: »
    Ah he knows you'll never stop going into his Shop and filling his Tills - He knows he can get away with it all, the profiteering, abusing his Staff, the Diego Cycling Helmet.....

You're right. He's clearly taking advantage of my laziness and I'm damned if I'm going to allow myself feel violated by a douche in a Diego cycling helmet :mad:

Lovely weather for a protest?

/googles Diego cycling helmet

• Advertisement

You're right. He's clearly taking advantage of my laziness and I'm damned if I'm going to allow myself feel violated by a douche in a Diego cycling helmet :mad:

Lovely weather for a protest?

/googles Diego cycling helmet

517jHeGO7cL._SL500_.jpg

He might have to start wearing it around the Goldmine Deli Counter for his own protection :(

Advertisement