Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed for next year!!

Options
  • 11-04-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

okay i know this question has been asked so many times but i really need help with my subjexts for next year and i want to ask before this 8 week mad rush starts and everyones to busy!! :p
    i am currently in 6th year and will be repeating next year( need 560!) and not sure what extra subject to take on.

i will drop french,english maths and irish and keep up business, ag science, geo, biology and chemistry (doing all these this year)
    but i need one more that i can do easily enough in one year next year.
    any ideas would be helpful! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

How're you able to drop english Irish and maths o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

doing pass maths and irish so wouldnt be using those for points anyway and even though im doing honours english i wouldnt be the best at it and couldnt face doing another shakespear play and comparative in one year! doing 9 subjects so can afford to drop them next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Do economics. As long as you have good common sense, it's easy to grasp. The course is fairly short and the paper is pretty predictable.
    Why have you already given up on this year though?

would economics overlap any bit with business?
    really havent studied enough!:o kept up to subjects this year as well which didnt help! only got 390 in the mocks!

aoifeX wrote: »
    would economics overlap any bit with business?
    really havent studied enough!:o kept up to subjects this year as well which didnt help! only got 390 in the mocks!

Oh right I wouldn't give up on this year quite yet though, I know a person who went from 305 to 520!! Although they really were doing nothing up to the mocks and then went all out after them.

I'm not really sure of how much overlap there is as I don't do business. It really isn't a bad exam though! There are 8 long questions do 4 and you can usually predict 3 if non 4 questions!!

• Advertisement

yeah im going to go all out from now on and even if i dont get the points the better i do this year the easier next year should be!
    is economics something i could do on my own or would i need a teacher? thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The DOE will not let you drop the three core subjects next year because a new rule was brought in this year preventing students from doing that.

aoifeX wrote: »
    yeah im going to go all out from now on and even if i dont get the points the better i do this year the easier next year should be!
    is economics something i could do on my own or would i need a teacher? thanks for the help!

If you are going for 560, you will be well able do it on your own. You may however need a few grinds to explain some of the more complex stuff, but not that many.

unknown13 wrote: »
    The DOE will not let you drop the three core subjects next year because a new rule was brought in this year preventing students from doing that.

Afaik that's just for medicine.......

oh noo! are u serious? can i drop any of them? :eek:
    lc2010 wrote: »
    If you are going for 560, you will be well able do it on your own. You may however need a few grinds to explain some of the more complex stuff, but not that many.

ya grinds would probably helpful anyway to keep me on top of everything! thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

+1 .....afaik :)

Its not I know someone repeating and not going for Medicine and he has to English. He dropped Maths and Irish though.

Its not I know someone repeating and not going for Medicine and he has to English. He dropped Maths and Irish though.

Maybe that's to satisfy school rules instead of CAO rules? Or is the person applying to the UK? I don't know the rules for there

pathway33 wrote: »
    Maybe that's to satisfy school rules instead of CAO rules? Or is the person applying to the UK? I don't know the rules for there

No, UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

No, UCD

Sounds like it's the school and not the DOE forcing that one. Last time I looked they can't make you sit any certain subject.

No, UCD

Dunno. The only course in UCD that you require more than an OD3 in English is veterinary nursing accoring to this https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/entry_ug.ezc so either the person wants to do that course and got less than an OC3 in english last year or else they failed english last year or else they are doing english to use it for points purposes. Tis a right mystery so it is

Pathway, I think it is very clear you are not accepting what I am saying and are trying to prove that you are right.

Pathway, I think it is very clear you are not accepting what I am saying and are trying to prove that you are right.

I am saying there is no logical reason why your friend should be forced to do english this year if he is not using it for points. I think you should tell him/her this because someone is leading him/her up the garden path

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

(Not a dig at you......)

You didnt back up what you were saying, so he should have no reason to accept it......

He backed up his claim with the matric info, which is not just anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

pathway33 wrote: »
    I am saying there is no logical reason why your friend should be forced to do english this year if he is not using it for points. I think you should tell him/her this because someone is leading him/her up the garden path
    Unless he failed it last year/didn't get an honour in honours etc, there's no other reason:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Maybe they just wouldn't let the guy drop three subjects because he wouldn't have enough to use for points if he did?

Friend of mine dropped two and picked up one so she'd have six. So if this guy dropped two and picked up one, he'd have six (assuming he'd started with seven) and if he dropped two without picking up any he'd only have five (again,assuming he started with seven.) Generally speaking, they won't let you have less than six (the school, rather than the DOE...) so perhaps this is why he wasn't able to drop the three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

<quoted spam deleted>

Second of all: don't give up on studying now, seriously! You still have two months left, you can get loads done by June.

Advertisement