Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD Media Player

• 11-04-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section. Basically I am looking for a media centre I think!

My main goal is to have a Hard Drive/Media Centre hooked up to my router, then rip DVDs to the Media Centre so I can watch them on my Laptop which doesn't have a DVD Drive.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you have another pc with a DVD drive, you could make ISO images of DVDs, and mount these as virtual drives on your laptop with something like PowerISO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Not sure if this would work but could I

Buy a External Harddrive, and hook it up to my wireless USB hub.

Rip DVD to computer saving them as .avi or similar then transferring them to the External Hard Drive Would I then be able to play them directly from the wireless harddrive via VLC?

Also, Would 2 computes be able to access the hard drive at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

yes this is very easily done. However why do you want to have a separate media center. why not just rip them on your laptop. if you want you can save them to an external hdd...

What i have at the moment is a dedicated computer that i've just called the media computer. It just runs a media center software and it's connected to my TV. I can control it with a remote as well. it access all my external hard drives hooked up to it and sorts the media on them into music ,movies and tv series and grabs meta data such as ratings and synapsis from imdb. It streams music and video from other sites as well such as netflix, youtube and cnn etc. It also shares all the media to the network so i can access it on any pc in the house.

If you just want to keep your movies separate yes you can have a dedicated computer for it but unless you really resent keeping your laptop on while you rip the dvds i don't think it's necessary.

You can share your external hard drive across the network from any pc/laptop and anyone else (macs and pcs included) can use your files. If you right click on a folder or a drive and go to properties there is a tab for sharing. The options are in there.

EDIT: after rereading your post. If your purpose is just to play the dvds save yourself some trouble and get a usb DVD drive...

Advertisement