Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film

• 11-04-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a few people interested in film production/film studies as a career or just doing it in college...myself included!! Surely there is someone on Boards that can give an idea of what it is like to do in college and as a career?!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

cork*girl wrote: »
    There seems to be a few people interested in film production/film studies as a career or just doing it in college...myself included!! Surely there is someone on Boards that can give an idea of what it is like to do in college and as a career?!:rolleyes:

What area of film are you specifically interested in?

Some parts are easy enough, others are so competitive that any scraps of work you are thrown will be heralded as a 'big break':p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 respectyourbus

Just thought id say this is a good topic, im interested in starting in the Film industry (directing, editing, producing, scriptwriting, not sure yet) but its a fairly daunting task to begin.

I suppose ill try to rally a few young hopeful filmmakers in Limerick (if theres any here who'd be interested, give me a shout) and start doing some amateur shorts to get a feel for the work. Is this a good way to start or is some basic training needed first do ye think?

Also, i'm looking at doing the connect course in NUIG, doing English, History and Film studies. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mkeano

I really want to do film. While there is a lot of info and lots of websites out there with how to make a film etc but I'd like to know a bit more about courses etc. I'm doing a workshop in film this summer in Digital Media Courses and am hoping to make my first short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I didn't study Film at college but an area related to it.

Its a very hard area to get into. You really have to slog away at it, send loads of CVs out, ring up production companies, become runners/AD.

I spoke to a fairly big AD and asked him how did he get into it. He said he just kept ringing up people asking could he help out. But that was years ago before places like IADT were set up.

You'll have to do crappy jobs, and have other jobs to fall back on while waiting for another gig to come along.

Knowing people in the industry is a BIG help. Also, luck plays a huge part in it too. Someone may like the look of you and give you a go. Word of mouth is a big thing too so always be professional whatever gig you may get, big or small.

If it's something you want to do, then definitely go for it but it is a tough industry and you have to be prepared for knock backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mcillington

Just thought id say this is a good topic, im interested in starting in the Film industry (directing, editing, producing, scriptwriting, not sure yet) but its a fairly daunting task to begin.

I suppose ill try to rally a few young hopeful filmmakers in Limerick (if theres any here who'd be interested, give me a shout) and start doing some amateur shorts to get a feel for the work. Is this a good way to start or is some basic training needed first do ye think?

Also, i'm looking at doing the connect course in NUIG, doing English, History and Film studies. Cheers.

That connect course sounds very interesting, do you know if this is still an available course option?

• Advertisement
Advertisement