Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC

Options
  • 11-04-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's i have about 1200 euro i want to spend on a decent gaming PC. I'm not going to need a monitor as I'll be connecting it to the TV so I'll save a few quid there. I was looking at the Alienware Aurora from Dell. If anyone has any thoughts on this machine or suggestions for any other machines I'd appreciate it.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

You'd be far better served posting in the Building & Upgrading forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I think that's a wee bit expensive for what you're getting to be honest. Just doing a quick spec check I can get a similar system for about €300 less, 3GB more ram, a slightly better PSU and a full ATX motherboard instead of a mini leaving more room for future upgrades. The other thing as well is that the 5670 card in that system isn't really going to be great for gaming at high resolutions (though if you're tv isn't HD then this may not be an issue).

Would you consider a custom build?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

For sure I'd consider a custom build but tbh i wouldn't be exactly tech savvy which is why i was looking at the off the shelf models. I normally play PS3 so this has of course stunted my knowledge of such things:eek:
    But there are more than a few games i enjoy playing on my laptop but that seems to be on its last legs.My Tv is HD.Paying 300 less certainly seems like a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

if you'r interested in a custom build check out

www.alienware.ie

a bit pricy but excellent gaming rig, i have one myself and i've had no problems.

on a side note spring for the 'alien Respawn' disc, this wipes your harddrive and cleanly reinstalls windows in less than a half hour, i do this every 6 months to keep my laptop running as fast as possible :D

Well, building PCs is fairly easy once you take the time to make sure the components you're buying are compatible which isn't all that difficult, more just paying attention to labels. It's nearly impossible to do it wrong (bar application of a hammer to make stuff fit in) since everything will only fit together in a particular way.

Also, if you're gaming at the native resolution of that tv then you will need a better graphics card, even the older, slightly cheaper 4770 performs better. The other thing I forgot about was that you will need to supply your own operating system, either an old copy of XP from an unused machine or buy a new copy of Windows 7 (which can be had for about €80 - €90 for an upgrade copy, probably less if you know where to look).

If you do consider going this route head over to the previously mentioned Building & Upgrading forum and get some ideas from the boffins over there. I'm not really up to speed on all the happenings on the current hardware and where the best bargains are to be had but even from a quick check I'm certain that alienware doesn't provide value for money (though there's a small chance I might be wrong so get other peoples opinions as well :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nekro Man wrote: »

www.alienware.ie

a bit pricy but excellent gaming rig, i have one myself and i've had no problems.

on a side note spring for the 'alien Respawn' disc, this wipes your harddrive and cleanly reinstalls windows in less than a half hour, i do this every 6 months to keep my laptop running as fast as possible :D

Not good advice, Alienware are terrible value tbh. You'd build a faster pc for half the price of any Alienware and have a much longer warranty, not to mention the ability to upgrade in future.

Just had a look on the building forum and it definatly seems to be the way forward I'll take my time and follow advice given and see about building my own. I'm sure i'll be back on frequently asking questions so once again thanks in advance.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Nekro Man wrote: »

www.alienware.ie

Heres one of the PC's he was talking about..

Featured options:

* Intel® Core™ i7 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache)
    * Dual 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240 - SLI® Enabled
    * 6GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDR3
    * 1TB RAID 0 (2x 500GB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM)
    * Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)

"The most powerful MicroATX Desktop EVER! "
    Why doesn't someone sue these people for false advertising?

How is this PC over 2300 euros? they are making over 1500 euros profit if they sell one of these, maybe more.. its beyond belief.

"Dual 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240 - SLI® Enabled"

Remember Komplett doing this? two basic entry level graphics cards in SLI

This is how it works.. most people, like our friend here, don't know anything about graphics cards.. the only vague slight thing
    they may possibly know is that 1 gig is bigger than 512mb, so the 1 gig card must be better (when it can in fact be 4 or 5 times slower)..
    Further more.. its in SLI!!!111.. so he thinks 'wow'.. thats two of these cards!!

These are basic entry level cards with pointlessly high memory.. Komplett did the same crap by putting 2 8500gt's into a "gaming pc"

Now..

The first IRISH company to sell a quality gaming PC at a decent price (looking at you komplett) will make a good bit of money.. why? because there is a bloody huge market of guys out there with no clue about PCs who want to game but end up spending thousands on ripoff PCs like the alienwares.. or hundreds of euros on lemon PCs from ebay,etc with a fancy processor but everything else is the cheapest component possible. We really have no pre-built Irish gaming PC with a warranty that we can recommend to anyone.. because all the sellers cannot resist making a lemon or a ripoff pc. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.. just on the building and upgrading forum I reckon we give 10 of thousands of euros business just to one particular site in Germany a year simply because they don't actually rip people off.

/rant over

OK guy's i put my hands up. I've been over to the building forum and i have to admit I'm at a loss as to what is being discussed. I wouldn't know a mother board from a cheese board. So in the interest of not giving up at the first hurdle i.e complete ignorance, where might be a good place for a complete newb to start, will there be text books in my future, is there a building computers for dummies version? And if i find that at the end of the day that I'm really not arsed with doing it myself. Are there nice folk out there that build for a fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

weiland79 wrote: »
    OK guy's i put my hands up. I've been over to the building forum and i have to admit I'm at a loss as to what is being discussed. I wouldn't know a mother board from a cheese board. So in the interest of not giving up at the first hurdle i.e complete ignorance, where might be a good place for a complete newb to start, will there be text books in my future, is there a building computers for dummies version? And if i find that at the end of the day that I'm really not arsed with doing it myself. Are there nice folk out there that build for a fee.
    I built my first PC back in 2008, and it was much easier than I had been expecting. I think the hard bit is coming up with a well matched component list, but the guys and gals on boards.ie will make sure you have a good spec before you buy anything.

After that, the building is handy enough once you take your time... I thought of it like expensive Lego. There are lots of guides available online. I used Tech Report (although that's a few years old now) and browsed around the Build Your Own PC site. I think Komplett have a bit of a guide on their site now too.

If it's any comfort, I considered myself a hardware dullard before my build, but after doing a bit of reading and research, it all went smoothly :)

weiland79 wrote: »

Just create a thread saying that in the building forum. Explain to them what you want the PC for and how much you're willing to spend.

There's normally a few things to consider when doing this as well and a certain amount of it comes down to personal preference but the basis for builds is generally the motherboard/cpu combination you decide on, everything else is decided later.

One of the other things you'll want to consider is overclocking as it's basically free performance which can be wrung from your processor/memory for surprisingly little input. People over on the building forum will be able to point you in the direction of a good clocking board and some nice memory which will help maximise the performance of your processor.

With regards to the hardware there's generally two major choices you have to make, AMD or Intel for the processor and ATi or nVidia for the graphics. I think currently Intel are the best for overclocking performance (though AMD are generally better if you're going to be upgrading further down the line as they tend to change their sockets, basically where you stick the CPU, less) and when it comes to the graphics ATi I think have the edge (just slightly) on nVidia but just pick whichever provides the best bang per buck in your price range as they're normally in and around the same.

Unfortunately I'm a bit out of touch so I'm not sure entirely what the latest flavour of the month is with regards to the current tech but I'm sure others will be able to give you some good recommendations. (might take a peek at the thread too to see what the current recommendations are :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Komplett actually run "Build your own PC" workshops, which IIRC, run at around €30. If you wanna build your own PC and dunno where to start, I recon that this hands-on method will be the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to learn all the basics.

Komplett actually run "Build your own PC" workshops, which IIRC, run at around €30. If you wanna build your own PC and dunno where to start, I recon that this hands-on method will be the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to learn all the basics.

That sounds like it might be just what i need,I'll def check it out.Thanks guy's.

Advertisement