Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jacqui hurley hoarse again.

• 11-04-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Was trying to listen to Sunday Sport again today .. and she's hoarse again have to switch off. She said she was roaring shouting at a game yesterday, but I mean how stupid is it to be roaring at a match when you konw that you have to present a radio show the next day... Once or twice is forgiveable for sure, but it's getting to the stage where it's every week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RodVelvet

Totally agree with you, this isn't the first occasion that Jacqui Hurley has been hoarse on Sunday Sport. You'd have to wonder whether she takes her profession seriously seeing as she says this always happens when she is shouting at matches. Maybe Evanne Ni Chuillinn or Joanne Cantwell would be more capable of carrying out the hardly arduous task of sports presenting on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

RodVelvet wrote: »
    Maybe Evanne Ni Chuillinn or Joanne Cantwell would be more capable of carrying out the hardly arduous task of sports presenting on a Sunday.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. It certainly is an arduous task presenting a live and fast moving sports show. Have you ever done it? It's non stop info coming in. Scores go stale very quickly as do racing results and you're constantly swicthing between feeds. You need your wits about you. She doesn't just sit there with her feet up I'll bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Yeah she was out roaring and shouting at a match yesterday, but i'd say she was out on the lash last night too. And whats with the weirdos who think she sounds sexy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's more from the professionalism point of view that I am talking about (as was said above by RodVelvet). Somebody in RTE really needs to have a word with her and tell her that if she wants to keep her job that she needs to be able to talk on a Sunday, no matter what social/sporting event is on the day before.
    Joanne and Evanne are always immaculately turned out and both are good communicators. Seems like they take their jobs more seriously..
    Have you ever done it? It's non stop info coming in. Scores go stale very quickly as do racing results and you're constantly swicthing between feeds

It's nothing to do with presenting skills. You simply cannot hear her properly when she comes in hoarse.. She's okay when you can hear her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Maybe wants to be the ladette of the sports gang?

The uber-cool and professional Evann is 3-0 up on you at extra time, girl:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RodVelvet

I was not belittling the actual tasks involved in the job itself, but verbal communication is a key component of a radio presenting role. If simple verbal communication is beyond her on a frequent basis maybe she would be better off in a production role. She was hoarse from the start, it's not the first time it has happened.

Con Murphy never seems to have this issue but as JonathonAnon says above it is more to do with her sense of professionalism. I'm sure that Con would be more than capable of carrying out the role by himself. If she has a performance review surely some concerns should be put to her by management. Many of the texts that were read out were dealing with this situation and it is funny the first time but as it has happened before maybe she should look at her level of professionalism compared to her work colleagues.

She is a bit younger than Evanne and Joanne so may not have the same sense of professionalism as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd take the odd croak from Hurley any day of the week over the nasal whinings of Cantwell. Her voice goes through me like a dose of liver salts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Turning up for a job, the one basic requirement of which is to speak, with self inflicted horseness is as bad as turning up for work drunk imo.

That incident last year when she was caught saying "shut up ya sh*t ya" - she should have been on a final warning after that.

Would they have let her on to present if she was slurring words or falling around the studio? Probably on the evidence of yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Complete waster, someone needs to take her in hand and put her straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

She's a nice bit of stuff! Anyone know if shes on the market?! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Fine set of choppers on her, agree though, this hoarseness crack is done.

Shape up or ship out honey, cop yersell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

mike65 wrote: »
    Complete waster, someone needs to take her in hand and put her straight.

Must be great being perfect Mr Mike65

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Must be great being perfect Mr Mike65

That's not really fair. My whole point is that once or twice could be forgiven. But more than that is just being unprofessional and sloppy.

Another newbie arrives, sounds off about an old timer who has his funny ways....I dunno.
    No-one even spotted my "ooo-er matron" subtext...;)

Derryleigh are you her brother or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Less of the comments on her personal appearance.

It has no bearing on her ability as a radio presenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Slidey wrote: »
    Less of the comments on her personal appearance.

It has no bearing on her ability as a radio presenter

True but it does help .

Another newbie arrives, sounds off about an old timer who has his funny ways....I dunno.
    No-one even spotted my "ooo-er matron" subtext...;)

No. Never met her. But you seem to know her well enough to make very hard hitting comments about her.

As you will see from previous posts I am a big believer in NOT slagging off people I dont know who are doing their job. Whether that is a good thing or not I dont know.

BTW, old timer, when are you 66?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

She bugs me to the point that I cat listen to sunday sport anymore. Theres just something about her that gets on my wick in a big way.

No. Never met her. But you seem to know her well enough to make very hard hitting comments about her.

As you will see from previous posts I am a big believer in NOT slagging off people I dont know who are doing their job. Whether that is a good thing or not I dont know.

it's not Derry lad.

If I pay my taxes and licence fee I expect a standard for my outlay.

Whether or not not I know somebody personally is of no concern.

That entitles me to comment on what i get for my hard earned cash, and Ms Hurley does not meet that standard in presentation.

END OF>

• Advertisement

I see she was bought up in Oz, maybe she thinks like an Ocker.

All I can say Mike is she busts my balls big time.

Off button comes before the first 'this ahfthernoon'.

Listen for it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

How many alias's in this thread?

I'm sure you'll explain the point of that someday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

Is she anything to Red Hurley?

Shayman wrote: »
    Is she anything to Red Hurley?

I dont know but somebody upstairs in RTE needs to give her a belt of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Aidric wrote: »
    How many alias's in this thread?

don't worry, we check :)

derry, it's a fact of life that the majority of people in this forum use it to give out about people.
    I don't particularly have a problem with that, but above all else I like to keep a peaceable house :)
    so, if you're pissed off with the negative comments, the only thing you can do is make sure you post lots of positive comments.
    Don't make the mistake of trying to stop negative comments with other negative comments - giving out about presenters is not banned by the charter, but giving out about people giving out about presenters is.

I'm not giving out to you, but if people giving out about presenters annoys you, you might be better off giving boards a miss.

tbh wrote: »
    don't worry, we check :)

derry, it's a fact of life that the majority of people in this forum use it to give out about people.
    I don't particularly have a problem with that, but above all else I like to keep a peaceable house :)
    so, if you're pissed off with the negative comments, the only thing you can do is make sure you post lots of positive comments.
    Don't make the mistake of trying to stop negative comments with other negative comments - giving out about presenters is not banned by the charter, but giving out about people giving out about presenters is.

I'm not giving out to you, but if people giving out about presenters annoys you, you might be better off giving boards a miss.

Point taken fully, and I would never try to stop free speech but I am just one of these people who believes that we really are a nation of begrudgers especially when we resort to derrogatory comments about radio presenters being hoarse!!

Point taken fully, and I would never try to stop free speech but I am just one of these people who believes that we really are a nation of begrudgers especially when we resort to derrogatory comments about radio presenters being hoarse!!

no problems derry, i understand where you're coming from. Although the fact that she's a radio presenter makes her hoarseness a bit relevant :)
    just remember, I'll protect your right to post positive comments as much as anyones to post negative, that's really what I was trying to say.

• Advertisement

Its not that she was horse on Sunday its that she is a repeat offender thats getting our grumpy goat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Imhof Tank wrote: »

That incident last year when she was caught saying "shut up ya sh*t ya" - she should have been on a final warning after that.

I didn't hear that one!
    I was listening the time she came out with:'Oh sh*t, I'm reading the wrong report!'
    Hilarious :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I thought you'd know better being around here long enough not to resort to that crap oul response ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Its not that she was horse on Sunday.
    Well, she is a bit of a ride but I'd prefer Evanne :-D

baalthor wrote: »
    Well, she is a bit of a ride but I'd prefer Evanne :-D

Well Evanne has legs like a racehorse. She's a classy lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Who are we slagging off today, Jaqui Hurley? Gerry will be pleased.

Has anyone considered the posibility that the lady in question may have an underlying medical explainantion for her hoarseness and the whole "shouting at a game made me hoarse" may just be a attempt at keep things private.

I'm just surmising as I don't know the lady in question but I would always keep an open mind on such matters, you will all feel very guilty if there were a sinister explaination for it, especially you, Mike65:).

• Advertisement

Jebus what a load of nonsense, she's just a good time gal who's spending too much time having a good time.

Jebus what a load of nonsense, she's just a good time gal who's spending too much time having a good time.

"I'll kill ya ya sh1t!" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Muppet wrote: »

I'm just surmising as I don't know the lady in question but I would always keep an open mind on such matters, you will all feel very guilty if there were a sinister explaination for it, especially you, Mike65:).

Talk about laying it on with a trowel - ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Was trying to listen to Sunday Sport again today .. and she's hoarse again have to switch off. She said she was roaring shouting at a game yesterday, but I mean how stupid is it to be roaring at a match when you konw that you have to present a radio show the next day... Once or twice is forgiveable for sure, but it's getting to the stage where it's every week.

She is a disgrace to broadcasting

I turned off the other week

How can a supposed professional not take care and prepare for their WORK

How is the director of Radio allowing these low quality broadcasts to be transmitted

If she cant show up fit for broadcasting she should be assigned another task

Damien O'Reilly in presenting Sunday Sport for "the next two months"... Anybody have any idea what's going on, were Con and Jacqui Hurley fired??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Can and Jacqui will return in February, according to the Sunday Sport Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday-Sport/145553780579

Even by Montrose standards that's a seriously long holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Damien O'Reilly? Thought Robbie Irwin or somebody like that would have been a better choice.

Damien O'Reilly? Thought Robbie Irwin or somebody like that would have been a better choice.

Sorry lads, it was Damien O'Meara... He did a very good job... Straight, professional delivery, moved quickly between the grounds to keep on top of everything... None of the usual fk-ups, messing and unfunny "banter" between the guests... RTE were trying to turn it in to Off The Ball, they should just leave Damien O'Meara at it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Sorry lads, it was Damien O'Meara... He did a very good job... Straight, professional delivery, moved quickly between the grounds to keep on top of everything... None of the usual fk-ups, messing and unfunny "banter" between the guests... RTE were trying to turn it in to Off The Ball, they should just leave Damien O'Meara at it..

+1

nothing funnier than monkeys pretending to be Gorillas....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Or cows pretending to be horses

Agreed, straight no nonsensense fast moving prog.

RTE should stick to that and forget about Murphy who always looks and sounds as if he is apologising for something.

Damian O'Meara still doing a good job.. lightning fast around the grouns... no fcuk ups or "in-jokes".... Absolutely no reason to move him from this and put those other two clowns back in (which is the plan).

Advertisement