Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert - Dropping Irish + English

Options
  • 11-04-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is it true that if you repeat the Leaving Cert, you can drop Irish and English, as the course will have changed so much? For example, I get a B2 in English in June and repeat my Leaving Cert. Can I keep my B2 and drop English in 2011. Or would I have to redo English, studying Othello instead of King Lear etc?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Providing you have achieved the required grade in English/Irish/Maths/French/whatever, you don't have to repeat that subject. But you can't count your points from two separate years, your CAO points only count from one sitting of the exams. eg, if you get 5 A1s and a B1 in one year, then the next year you get 5 A1s and a B2, you can't take the B1 from the year before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you choose to repeat in a school, they may have their own local rules which may not reflect any CAO requirements.
    I could see it as quite disruptive for a school to have a cohort of students wandering the corridors or hanging out unsupervised up to ten classes a week. Check with wherever you are studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

also there's different rules regarding keeping passed subjects from a previous LC if you're applying for medicine.

whatever course you do you can't add points from more than 1 leaving but you can use previous passes for matriculation entry requirements....apart from medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

While you can drop both English and Irish, it'd be advisable to pick up another subject. I'm repeating, and one of the girls dropped both French and Irish and picked up business, which she is finding to be a nightmare. I'd really advise only dropping one,if any. I'm doing all 7 again this year, it's joyous. :| I think the majority of people dropped Irish and only one person dropped English, which I found surprising. And if you're good at English (which your grade from last year suggests) it's probably worth keeping it up and getting points out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

some colleges in the ucas system accept a combined leaving cert from 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

brian1991 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can I keep my B2 and drop English in 2011. Or would I have to redo English, studying Othello instead of King Lear etc?

Thanks,
    Brian

On a slightly unrelated note to the main point of your post, the Shakespearean text for 2011 is Hamlet, not Othello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

you cannot combine or change around points between two years, but if you need your english requirement for college you can use it from your 2010 leaving cert, and use your points for the 2011 leaving cert to get into college

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

On a slightly unrelated note to the main point of your post, the Shakespearean text for 2011 is Hamlet, not Othello.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I spoke to my career guidance counsellor today after my Irish oral, and she echoed what has been said above. I think I might drop subjects like Maths and Economics and take up Agricultural Science etc.

Advertisement