Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a new tire?

• 11-04-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Well, today I sorta managed to hit the curb (long story) and then I noticed a few cuts on the tire side wall where it took the hit.
    Its not deep, its fairly superficial. The tire is also new, just got it a month ago.
    Though there are a few cracks where the tire took the hit. But they're all very superficial. Like say if you peel out the bit that got cut, its less than a millimeter deep.

So is the tire still fine or would I need to get it replaced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

usually any sidewall damage means replace the tyre but you should really let somebody take a good look at it. One of the tyre centres will be able to tell you if you need to replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If it is only a mm or 2 deep then it should be ok although if it was me I'd have it removed and inspect the inside for damage. Any impact like that can damage the structure of the tyre.

You'll also fail the NCT if there is any cut in the tyre regardless of how deep it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If in doubt then replace it. With sidewall damage I would not take the increased chance of a blowout for the price of a new tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If the tyre has not bulged and the cuts do not expose the cords of the tyre then it is most likely ok.
    Take it to an honest tyre place for an opinion as i no one can say for sure without seeing the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Swap it for the spare and bring it for inspection. Personally I wouldn't take the chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Take it to an independent tyre centre...not an Advance Rip Stop anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

ninty9er wrote: »
    Take it to an independent tyre centre...not an Advance Rip Stop anyway.
    I got the tyres from Advance Pitstop...

Do anyone of ye know a good independent tyre center I can take it to get it checked?

Advertisement