Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing lodge questions

Options
  • 11-04-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys, I wonder if I could ask your advice on what you'd expect from angling friendly accomodation near Carrick-on-Shannon.

Basically my old man has a new 4 double bedroom house in an estate situated on the shannon. It has direct access to the river on which you could get north to cootehall and south to Lough Boderg (through a lock). We reakon it makes for great accomodation as its near/in Carrick yet has access to the river. We would look to supply a lakeboat for use.

Not being anglers ourselves is there anything specific that we would need to supply?

Also would it be something that you could see yourselves using?

This is not an advertisement by the way as it isn't set up yet, I am just trying to get peoples opinions. All advice is welcome, Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A tackle/drying room would be important, somewhere to hang up wet clothes to dry and store tackle. Also a fridge/freezer for bait. Apart from that, good directions to a nearby pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Thanks for the advice, they're little things and could easily be done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A catch log book to be filled in every day so new guests can review the recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

as above plus some info about local fisheries, books, maps, magazines etc can be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

" Not being anglers ourselves is there anything specific that we would need to supply? "

yes, the mandatory 10% 15% discount to Boardies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

gaz wac wrote: »
    " Not being anglers ourselves is there anything specific that we would need to supply? "

yes, the mandatory 10% 15% discount to Boardies ;)
    :D:D:D

gaz wac wrote: »
    yes, the mandatory 10% 15% 5% discount to Boardies ;)

:D

Actually was thinking about doing that on angling forums, its free advertising and you can build up a decent reputation that way.

Thanks for all your suggestions by the way, taking them on board big time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

tbh fishers like myself don't look for much in a lodge, only needed for a bit of kip and a shower so your fresh for the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Good Idea, I know someone who has done the same and has had the house occupied 85% of the season. One thing he says is vital as most of his customers are from overseas is the name of a local ghillie who knows his stuff. Most groups will hire him for the day just to get the lay of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Zzippy wrote: »
    , somewhere to hang up wet clothes Apart from that, good directions to a nearby pub!

two of the most importaint points...you can NEVER have too many clothes horses in a house, amount of times we had to lay our gear on the floor, over the banisters etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A ready supply of fuel for an open fire for those cold and wet days would be pretty essential too I'd have thought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I suppose a wine cellar is out of the question ?
    ;)

coolwings wrote: »
    I suppose a wine cellar is out of the question ?
    ;)

No problem, you'll find it in the local offie. ;)

Seriously lads thanks for all the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

packed lunches ready and waiting for small extra fee.

Advertisement