Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Phone Race

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Going forward it will be known as the rather ridiculous sounding MeeGo ;)
    Not as ridiculous as saying "Going forward"... I hate that phrase :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

funkyjebus wrote: »
    agreed. Maemo is a beast. can't believe no one mentioned before you. my n900 is the best phone ive ever had by a mile (except for battery life!!!!)
    Maemo beats both Android, W7P and definitley beats Symbian.

What makes it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

funkyjebus wrote: »
    agreed. Maemo is a beast. can't believe no one mentioned before you. my n900 is the best phone ive ever had by a mile (except for battery life!!!!)

is too much of a beast really.. and too big.. plus with intel being in the middle now, i wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt given the attention it needs to flourish.
    intel has the attention span of a nat when it comes to products that dont bring in enough revenue from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Selkies wrote: »
    What makes it better?
    It runs on a real full linux kernel just like any desktop meaning it's completely open and that it's extremely powerful as an OS. Android is only very loosely based on linux and even at that it's apps are all java based whilst Maemo can run anything that Debian ARM can run.

Here is the N900 playing a linux port of Quake 3

Here it is running Debian linux with apps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Not as ridiculous as saying "Going forward"... I hate that phrase :p

Well there may be a bit of a paradigm shift vis-à-vis the synergy of Intel and Nokia working together :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

It runs on a real full linux kernel just like any desktop meaning it's completely open and that it's extremely powerful as an OS. Android is only very loosely based on linux and even at that it's apps are all java based whilst Maemo can run anything that Debian ARM can run.

still.. at least for me.. its too much of a pc and not enough of a phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

That is certainly impressive, however I'm not sure that it makes it better than the Android, just different.

The android has a market place where businesses can make money from writing software for that smart phone.

How does the maemo compare on that front?

As for WP7, it runs .Net XNA which makes it far better for games than any of the competitors.

I think the maemo is better for linux enthusiasts rather than simply better in general, but I might be wrong.

Advertisement