Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is having '2 feet' a thing of the past ?

• 11-04-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

It seems to be common when a player has a pop at goal the commentators excuse an airball with .. ' well it was on his weaker foot'

Which players do you think have 2 good feet?

Ive been impressed with Alberto Aquilani in this regard.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Arshavin's pretty handy with both feet from what I've seen

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Every player should be able and confident enough to at very least take on short passes with either foot and be able to shoot reasonably well should they need to.

Nothing worse than seeing a player awkwardly wrap his Right foot around his lft to hit a ball that should be getting hit with his left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Original Ronaldo is one of the best two-footed players to have ever played the game (as in he's equally adept at using right or left - just covering myself for the inevitable "one legged player" jokes).

Karim Benzema is also pretty fantastic in this regard

As is Paul McShane. He's as shít with his left as he is with his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Phil Neville can play off both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

James Milner's left is just as good as his right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Phil Neville can play off both

Yeah but only sideways or backwards.

Arshavin is equally adept with either foot.

van Persie has a sweet left foot. His right foot isn't anywhere near as accurate but it's still like a rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Also, Patrice Evra is the most one footed player I have ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Archimedes wrote: »

I see your Patrice Evra, and raise you an Antonio Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

JokerD wrote: »
    Messi

messi doesnt count.. seeing as hes not human ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

messi doesnt count.. seeing as hes not human ;)

Correct. Scored many with his right including one last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Lot of players that arent even blessed with one right foot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Archimedes wrote: »
    Messi

Yeah, Messi isn't great with his weaker foot either, not as bad as Evra though. Valencia too, but he looks worse by going out of his way to not have to use his left at all.

Ronaldinho wasn't bad with his left foot.

Yeah, Messi isn't great with his weaker foot either, not as bad as Evra though. Valencia too, but he looks worse by going out of his way to not have to use his left at all.

Ronaldinho wasn't bad with his left foot.

I meant he is good with it:D

I meant he is good with it:D

Oh, ok then.:o

Have you seen him play outside of the past month or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

baz2009 wrote: »
    That's who came into my head on reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Zidane is the greatest 'both footed' player of all time.

Notable others Pele, Best, Maldini, Cruyff, Irwin, Nedved,

Modern players I know that are good with both feet... Lampard, Ballack, Ronaldo, Messi, Forlan, Sneijder, Arshavin, Phil Neville, Silva.

Oh, ok then.:o

Have you seen him play outside of the past month or so?

Yes I have and what if he hasn't scored a lot with his right in his career thus far, he's shown that he has confidence and quality with his right when he needs it, its also not just about goals either. Players can also develop their skills over time and just because his goals have been predominanlty with his left doesn't mean his right is weak.......

e.g this time last year were people saying Rooney was a master header of the ball?no. Maybe Rooney always had the ability and never showcased it or alternatively he has developed it, the same can be said for Messi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll see both and raise you Adriano.:eek:

Fowler was decent from what I remember..most 'natural' goalscorers are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dfx- wrote: »
    I'll see both and raise you Adriano.:eek:

Fowler was decent from what I remember..most 'natural' goalscorers are

Fowler was great with both feet (from 5yrds)

for me.... crouch is great with both feet .... but shocking (for a tall fellah) with his head.

Yossi Benyoun is great with both feet.

• Advertisement

Yes I have and what if he hasn't scored a lot with his right in his career thus far, he's shown that he has confidence and quality with his right when he needs it, its also not just about goals either.

It's nothing to do with how many goals he's scored with his right, it's from watching how poorly he strikes the ball with his right, finishing and simple passing aside, he does not have what it takes to be labelled two footed. Any decent striker has the same level of weak foot use as messi. Ronaldo is slightly better than him on his weaker foot, but is still not good enough to be completely comfortable on it.
    Zidane is an excellent recent example of a two footed player. That goal v leverkusen was on his weak foot i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

If anything a lot of advances being made at under age level. Kids being encouraged to play with both feet. You will see in years to come more two footed players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I think its also a case of how good their dominant foot is. Some players just have a fantastic foot and in their head they try to do everything with it rather than switching.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    I think its also a case of how good their dominant foot is. Some players just have a fantastic foot and in their head they try to do everything with it rather than switching.

:D David Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kranjcar is very good with both feet

It's nothing to do with how many goals he's scored with his right, it's from watching how poorly he strikes the ball with his right, finishing and simple passing aside, he does not have what it takes to be labelled two footed. Any decent striker has the same level of weak foot use as messi. Ronaldo is slightly better than him on his weaker foot, but is still not good enough to be completely comfortable on it.
    Zidane is an excellent recent example of a two footed player. That goal v leverkusen was on his weak foot i think.

I know what you're saying but I wouldn't say he's two footed but is good with his right when he needs to use it, being good with two feet and two footed are different in my mind. Probably just agree to disagree then about his right foot quality;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ginola is the most amazing two footed player I can recall.

Gonzalo Higuaín scores equally with both feet and Oba Martins would alternate taking penalties with his right and left to the point where Glen Roeder, his then manager, commented that he wasn't sure which foot was his preferred.

If anything a lot of advances being made at under age level. Kids being encouraged to play with both feet. You will see in years to come more two footed players.

There's a certain level of reluctancy among kids to use their bad foot.
    The odd time I'd go along to see my nephew at soccer training and none of the players will use their bad foot. You'd often hear the manager encouraging the to use it and getting to the point of telling the to use it, but they just won't. Then inevitbly they lose the ball by trying to turn onto their good side or by attempting and impossible pass with their good foot, it's frustrating to see tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The simplest way for a young player to learn to use both feet is the old fashioned kicking the ball off the wall. It takes a lot of time and most kids now just won't stick with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

There's a certain level of reluctancy among kids to use their bad foot.
    The odd time I'd go along to see my nephew at soccer training and none of the players will use their bad foot. You'd often hear the manager encouraging the to use it and getting to the point of telling the to use it, but they just won't. Then inevitbly they lose the ball by trying to turn onto their good side or by attempting and impossible pass with their good foot, it's frustrating to see tbh.
    Denis Irwin was on newstalk last week saying how at clubs players are told only to use their best foot as 9 outta 10 times you will use that foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Celtic had a great player not too long ago, Lubo Moravcik.

Brilliant with both feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Marc Overmars

Paddy McCourt has two good feet doesn't he?
    Unbelievable dribbling skills, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No, a lot of players are still one footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Arjen Robben and David Villa can use both feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

He gets overly lauded/slated on here a lot but I think John O'Shea is equally comfortable with his left as his natural right. I know it's defence so you wouldn't have to be as skillful as a striker using both but still, credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

jebforever wrote: »
    Arjen Robben and David Villa can use both feet.

yea for walking, running, support weight when kicking with the left and also to pass to the left but both are not the '2 footed' in the classic sense of the word

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Adriano.C who plays for Sevilla is genuinley two footed.

Riquelme is pretty good with both feet aswell.

Zidane & Brazil Ronaldo were probally the two best at using the weaker foot.

Maldini was right footed but I rember him taking a penalty with his left foot before. Although he did miss the penalty in the end.

John O'Shea isnt bad with his left either. Remember the chip he scored against Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Never would have said Gareth Bale until he smacked that one past Cech on Sunday. Loved David Pleats description of it, "hit it with his swinger..".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Xabi Alonso is excellent with either foot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement