Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good and cheap washing powder

Options
  • 11-04-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! Looking to get a good washing powder, don't mind buying in volume, and that will be brilliant value. Sick of buying small boxes of daz, ariel, etc.

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why not go to lidl, they have the large boxes of powder, or the boxes of tablets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if your in dublin some of the stalls on moore street sell the large boxes (90 wash) for around €17/18, much more economical than buying a small box for €3 that only does 12 washes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If you're in Dublin, Long Mile market is on every Sunday and you can buy the large 11.5 kilo boxes for between €20-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

pog it wrote: »
    Hey guys! Looking to get a good washing powder, don't mind buying in volume, and that will be brilliant value. Sick of buying small boxes of daz, ariel, etc.

Thanks for any tips!

I have seen large boxes for sale at the Unyoke car boot sale on Sunday mornings. (Between Wexford and Gorey on coast road). Don't know prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I buy the monster blue box in lidl. I think its 6.99. Its great on cleaning the clothes but not a huge amount of scent off it when washed.I then buy a small box of whatever is on special in tesco & mix the 2 together in a small daily use dispenser. That way I get the clothes washed with super scent for half the price & it last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

I use the colour powder from Lidl. It is €6.99 for a large box and is great. I never buy any other one, just use the same for all clothes. The boxes in Aldi are smaller but cheaper and last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well, according to Which, Formil biological powder came out second in their tests. I've started using it. And I have to say it's very good for getting out stains for higher temps. It doesn't seem to dissolve in lower temps, so I use other stuff for wool & silk.

http://www.which.co.uk/media/popup/table-popup_washing-detergent-190110.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks a mil everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Just to warn you the big "cheap" boxes on the markets can be sh**e, It's pot luck if you get a decent box, I got stung twice after been buying them for ages, it doesn't wash outta the clothes or wash them so it costs ya more having to buy proper powder & then wash the clothes again.

If I want Bold in the 90 wash I just buy 2 boxes when they come into Supervalu or Dunnes for €18, if not I just buy 2 50 wash boxes for €8 which is better value.

Also as said the Lidl one does work it's all my mother uses & it clears everything from the clothes cos she's always washing the lads oily work clothes, I tried the Supervalu Nice Price one ... got it for washing the dog beds, but tested it on the OH's work clothes washed them the same as any leading brand & it was only around €4, tried it on my own clothes & no irritation cos most powders burn & itch the life outta me when my clothes are washed in them! Lidl one doesn't burn or itch either.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another vote here for Lidl's Formil ones. They seem to be good enough, especially for me, who has a history of allergic reactions to cheap powders (especially Radion, back in the day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1
    +2
    +3
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

byte wrote: »
    Another vote here for Lidl's Formil ones. They seem to be good enough, especially for me, who has a history of allergic reactions to cheap powders (especially Radion, back in the day).

Just had a word with the Boss and based on your recommendation we will try it.

Thank god for spell check "recommendation" my first three attempts were funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Lidl used have have a stain removal spray - cannot find it anymore.

The stuff was great getting rid of ink stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

I too, use Lidl's Formil big box powder detergents They are great value and do the job just as efficiently as other more expensive products. Every few months Lidl knock another two euro off their already low price. That special offer lasts for 7 days approx. Well worth looking out for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I've been looking for specials on washing powder as the big box of Bold I have is about to run out. The bigger the better. Quite tempted to buy a lidl one but not so sure.

Has anyone seen any special offers recently on the main brand powders?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

I thoroughly recommend the Lidl big box Formil powder. I always buy the colour one for everything and it lasts for ages. It cost €6.99 and is as good as any of the 'big' brands.

ian_m wrote: »
    I've been looking for specials on washing powder as the big box of Bold I have is about to run out. The bigger the better. Quite tempted to buy a lidl one but not so sure.

Has anyone seen any special offers recently on the main brand powders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sillysammy

Davy wrote: »
    Why not go to lidl, they have the large boxes of powder, or the boxes of tablets
    the tablets arnt bad but the washing powder can stick in the dispenser like cement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sillysammy wrote: »
    the tablets arnt bad but the washing powder can stick in the dispenser like cement

Break them up slightly and this wont happen. Just leave it in the packet, crush with your finger, then open and drop the chunks in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sillysammy

the tablets arnt bad davy but the washing powders not the best for a machine it turns solid in the dispenser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

i always put washing powder straight into the drum before putting the clothes in....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I've been using it for a few weeks now and I am not entirely satisfied. I do a bit of running and the shirts I wear don't come out smelling as fresh as they do when I use Bold or Daz.

Plus the powder gets stuck in the dispenser drawer.

Advertisement