Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus times to Dublin

• 11-04-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

With the new road, are the buses to Dublin any quicker? Rapid Express or Bus Éireann.

I know they don't use the new road, but maybe they don't get caught up in the little places as much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Little to no difference with Bus Eireann unfortunately. Most of the buses from Dublin-Waterford on weekday afternoons go into Naas, Kilcullen, Castledermot, Carlow, Thomastown and Mullinavat. You don't even see the new part of the motorway and you're still talking around 2 hrs 40 mins from Bus Aras to the Quay.

There is a direct from Waterford to Dublin every Sunday at 7.30, but it's always packed so you'd want to be there by 7.10 at the latest. I haven't been on this since the Waterford-Danesfort motorway opened but I'd imagine it could be done in just over 2 hours.

I generally avoid Rapid Express though. Their prices aren't that different to BE but they're generally longer and waaay more uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Daysha wrote: »
    Little to no difference with Bus Eireann unfortunately. Most of the buses from Dublin-Waterford on weekday afternoons go into Naas, Kilcullen, Castledermot, Carlow, Thomastown and Mullinavat. You don't even see the new part of the motorway and you're still talking around 2 hrs 40 mins from Bus Aras to the Quay.

There is a direct from Waterford to Dublin every Sunday at 7.30, but it's always packed so you'd want to be there by 7.10 at the latest. I haven't been on this since the Waterford-Danesfort motorway opened but I'd imagine it could be done in just over 2 hours.

I generally avoid Rapid Express though. Their prices aren't that different to BE but they're generally longer and waaay more uncomfortable.

Rapid Express are good for going to and from Dub Airport, but it annoys me that they can be flagged down like a taxi anywhere on the route. Also with Bus Éireann if its a busy time and a bus is full they often put on an extra bus with one going direct to Waterford. I had this pleasant surprise a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

dayshah wrote: »
    Rapid Express are good for going to and from Dub Airport, but it annoys me that they can be flagged down like a taxi anywhere on the route. Also with Bus Éireann if its a busy time and a bus is full they often put on an extra bus with one going direct to Waterford. I had this pleasant surprise a few times.

Really, what times were they at? Sometimes whenever I've been on extra buses from Bus Aras it avoids Naas and Kilcullen but it still has to stop and pick-up in Carlow which adds 15 minutes in itself.

Daysha wrote: »
    Really, what times were they at? Sometimes whenever I've been on extra buses from Bus Aras it avoids Naas and Kilcullen but it still has to stop and pick-up in Carlow which adds 15 minutes in itself.

It happened after matches in Croke Park. Also happened a few times Cork-Waterford on a Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rapid Express are good for going to and from Dub Airport, but it annoys me that they can be flagged down like a taxi anywhere on the route.
    I'm not sure if thats legal - buses are only meant to stop at designated bus stops.
    Also with Bus Éireann if its a busy time and a bus is full they often put on an extra bus with one going direct to Waterford. I had this pleasant surprise a few times.
    This will depend on how busy the buses are. If you have 150 passengers, its likely one bus will be express the whole way express, the next will serve the stops at the far end of the route and the last will serve the last first stops and then only serve other stops if it is setting down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

but it annoys me that they can be flagged down like a taxi anywhere on the route.

No harm to be honest, could you imagine how much extra time would be added to the journey if say 20 people did this and it stopped every time, if people want to get on the bus leave them go to the proper bus stop

Cabaal wrote: »
    No harm to be honest, could you imagine how much extra time would be added to the journey if say 20 people did this and it stopped every time, if people want to get on the bus leave them go to the proper bus stop

Maybe its just my impression that Rapid Express can be stopped like a taxi, but if not then some of their bus stops look suspiciously like ditches.

It also bugs me that coming into Waterford Rapid Express stop at both the Quay (Bus Éireann's place) AND on Parnell St. FFS, its about 5 min walk away.

Bus Éireann definitely stops less often.

Advertisement