Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car needed!

• 11-04-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Ok heres the story I sold my car 2 weeks ago, thought I'd buy a new car handy since I had money at the ready. I've tried done deal,car zone etc. with no luck due to the fact my Dad is mechanic and only likes certain reliable cars! Opel, Ford, Citroen, Renault, Fiat, Daewoo and Alfa romeo are not an option. Basically I need a small (hatchback) 5 door car with a bit of boot space and would like around a 2002+ car. I have €3500 to spend any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Citroen banned but Peugeot are ok:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭All4shopping

No sorry they are banned as well :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What makes does he approve of? Then we could work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So basically vag cars or Toyota? What problem does your Dad have with Opel and ford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

you're dad sounds like a very very old school mechanic to be fair.

Ford Focus would be my choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

EPM wrote: »

Definitely. It seems to fit the budget and requirements well. Aim for the 1.6.

Yet he is a bit old school but I cant complain he services my cars for free! vw polo 2002/2003 is a good option but cant seem to find one in meath/louth any one have one for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Honda Jazz (sport model nicer design)

great fuel economy, loads of boot space, Honda! Nice and light to handle. I've had mine for three months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

pog it wrote: »
    Honda Jazz (sport model nicer design)

great fuel economy, loads of boot space, Honda! Nice and light to handle. I've had mine for three months now.

You'd probably struggle to get one for 3500 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

For that money maybe a Nissan Almera, if not the Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda 323 would be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Octavia :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I personally think the older style focus is horrible, so anything but that tbh.

Any particular reason it has to be a hatch? You're limiting yourself with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mazda 323 would be a good option.

Do they not suffer oil consumption problems???

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

EPM wrote: »

+1. They aren't known to give trouble.

Almost all cars are reliable nowadays. You don't see cars failing catastrophically on the roadside like times past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A mechanic who recommends a Polo? When did he retire?

Focus ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    Octavia :D

I was waiting for it :p

I was waiting for it :p

The Superb is the new Octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Confab wrote: »
    The Superb is the new Octavia.

For 3500 yoyo's?

For 3500 yoyo's?

Could be the old Superb ;)

• Advertisement

Just prefer to drive a hatch back and it makes more sense as generally is just me in car but at weekends I mind my niece so need 5 doors to get her in and out of car and then need a bit of boot space for her buggy etc. Honda jazz seems to be €4000+ so thats out. Would be disowned if came home with a focus. Liking the nissan almeara so will look them up thanks for all your replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure it is the Mk1 Almera, the newer model has it's fair share of problems with the likes of timing chain tentioners, headlights, etc. You should have plenty of change left over from €3500 for a Mk1 Almera at this stage.

I'd also be looking at the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic since the Focus is off your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

David09 wrote: »
    Do they not suffer oil consumption problems???

none of the 3 we had did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Just prefer to drive a hatch back and it makes more sense as generally is just me in car but at weekends I mind my niece so need 5 doors to get her in and out of car and then need a bit of boot space for her buggy etc. Honda jazz seems to be €4000+ so thats out. Would be disowned if came home with a focus. Liking the nissan almeara so will look them up thanks for all your replies!

I got a 2003 with 60k mileage for €3800. A bit of haggling was done and research spent on same!!! Haggling skills are for life though :D Admittedly I was paranoid for a couple of weeks thinking something was maybe wrong with it, but no it's a flyer.

You might be able to get a 2002 one for 3500 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

SEAT Leon 1.9 Diesel? >> 2002 LEON 1.9

Or a Leon 1.4 Petrol.. 30k Miles.. Looks a bit skanky though :D >> 2002 LEON 1.4 Petrol

Corolla Hatch? >> 2002 Corolla @ 3,999

Just a few for you to think about

Advertisement