Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here using UPC+HD with Slingbox?

• 11-04-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

I recently upgraded to UPC+HD - have to say the lineup is fine, the service is fine too, and the HD is great (I have it with broadband which is performing quite well).

I bought a Slingbox, to try and accomplish the task of being able to watch tv on my iphone using their iphone app, and from the office over the net connection.

But I can't figure out how to get it to work properly.

Firstly, anyone familar with the UPC+HD Mediabox (from Cisco) knows there are two outputs, one is HDMI and the other is Scart, but you can't use them both at the same time, I checked with UPC and they're pretty blunt that it's simply not possible.

The Slingbox isn't HDMI friendly out of the box, if comes with cables to connect Scart (scart to composite converter) to the box - but you can't just plug in a HDMI cable into the Slingbox.

So, I've *no idea* how to get this working, I have a nice big television which loves the hdmi connection, and I could get a Neet Doubler to allow a second hdmit output (viewing the same content) - but I can't seem to connect HDMI to the Slingbox.

So I'm wondering if any of you wonderful boardsies are using Slingbox with your HD boxes, and if you are, could you give this Slingbox n00b some advise.

Sling's support is rubbish, so trying to deal with them is a whole load of hurt.

Much appreciate any help ye could give!

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DavidCochrane

I do suspect I need a HDMI > Composite converter to get it working right.

Would Maplin sort me out, or can someone recommend another retailer that'd do em?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can't just use a simple HDMI > Composite converter as HDMI includes DRM which stops this from working.

There are converters out there that can do it, google it, but they are very expensive, more then €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Just got a slingbox and have the upc hd box. same problem as you:eek:.

Looks like back to the shop looking for my money back tomorrow:o

Only workaround I could think of would be to get a second sd upc box, not ideal.

It would be great if upc played both connections simultanously, that would solve everything but very unlikely they would do something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

David, did you have any luck with this??

Also have UPC HD and was thinking of buying a slingbox this week, thinking of getting the pro box and see it has the HDMI connection. I am hoping this will work...

mgray wrote: »
    David, did you have any luck with this??

Also have UPC HD and was thinking of buying a slingbox this week, thinking of getting the pro box and see it has the HDMI connection. I am hoping this will work...
    Hi mcgray - i've sort of had luck.

I have the UPC HD box going into a HDMI splitter (which is powered off the mains to boost it) sending a signal by HDMI cable to the television, i then have another HDMI cable going into a HD Fury splitting the HDMI cable into RGB components (which the Slingbox likes).

It actually all works perfectly fine. I'm a bit disappointed with UPC's support for HD, and you can't use the Scart and HD connections in the box at the same time (which is a bit stupid).

It was a slightly pricey way to go about things, but I can watch tv from my computers (only one computer can watch your connection at once) or on my iPhone.

If you need any further help/support, do let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

i then have another HDMI cable going into a HD Fury splitting the HDMI cable into RGB components (which the Slingbox likes).

How do you find the HD Fury? I need to get one so I can watch movies via Apple TV on my 10 year old Pioneer plasma.

Where did you get the HD Fury and how much? I intend to buy the HD Fury 1 (blue pack for VGA) as it seems to be exactly what I need.

crosstownk wrote: »
    How do you find the HD Fury? I need to get one so I can watch movies via Apple TV on my 10 year old Pioneer plasma.

Where did you get the HD Fury and how much? I intend to buy the HD Fury 1 (blue pack for VGA) as it seems to be exactly what I need.
    It does the job perfectly fine, I've no issues with it - it's all sitting behind a tv unit and I've not had to go near it since.

I got mine at the time from http://www.thegametrain.com

It was a bit pricey at the time but it was the price of having to deal with the Slingbox not working entirely well with UPC out of the box in HD.

If it's any use to you - I also got a NEET HDMI splitter from Amazon Marketplace (but sold by NEET themselves) for about £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cj77

I am not a techie, so I have no idea what a fury box is etc! Can someone tell me, (preferably without using a fury box) how to connect the slingbox 500 to a UPC mediabox HD. I have tried HDMI from UPC to slingbox, and HDMI from slingbox to Tv but get no video. I have then tried every combination of composite and component between UPC and slingbox but nothing seems to work. Anyone know how to fix this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement