Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre Square WARNING

Options
  • 11-04-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi I just want to give people the heads up about something that happened me yesterday about 7pm in Eyre Square..

As ye know the sun split the stones yesterday (SATURDAY) so I went into town to meet a few mates. They were sitting in Eyre Square enjoying the sun. I met them and was walking off when a man stood infront of me, blocking my path!!!! I was like "Hello???" He started mumbling something.. god only knows what.. now that was ok I told him I didnt know him and walked away.. he was very freaky.. I walked down the steps away from the fountain mezanine and heard this hero shouting at me.. down he comes throwing shapes.. and goes "are you makin fun of me because Im homeless? quite aggressively.. (I didnt even realise he was homeless up until this point, and I hadnt been making fun of him anyway) So there he was squaring up to me, then he called some of his mates down to intimidate me, then he said quitely while still aggressively squaring up to me "give me a ****ing euro now".. I was totally shocked.. I would have loved to hammer him but Im better than that.. I dealt with it a different way and he went away very quickly.. Im only posting this to warn others who might be intimidated easier than me.. I dont want the post picked on, or fifty questions Im only posting to make people aware. (If any one was there in eyre sq it happened just after the big fist fight in the center of the square where a young lad smashed an empty beer can off another lads head) The place was PACKED.

P.S HE GOT NO EURO :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Was he a shortish fellow with a beard, didn't really look like a rough sort? I've seen a guy like that around the square, usually leaning against the Ulster bank ATMs. On St Paddy's day he was attacked by a crowd of girls he had swiped something from, apparently. Let the guards know next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    usually leaning against the Ulster bank ATMs.

I've seen that guy a few times now alright , he definitely looks dodgy at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

better have millstreet on speed diall then . bloody hell lads he should be reported.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

My gosh! How frightening! Thanks for the warning, bro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

i think that was my uncle jim, i'll make sure the cage is deadbolted from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

The sun always seems to bring out the crazies - especially on eyre square and the spanish arch. I wonder if they see everyone else enjoying a few cans and just go nuts until they get more themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Galway has a higher proportion of crazies than most other parts of the country full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

gotta love them bums

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

That fight sounds ****ing crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

No i don't "love them bums" at all. They're a bloody nuisance.

I wonder how the OP dealt with this situation. I know you don't want to tell us more which is fair enough, i'm just wondering what you could have said/done to get rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The old school bums were a good laugh.

The new ones are prícks, aggressive and in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's people like this who spoil it for everyone else out enjoying a sunny day.

No Garda presence in a packed Eyre Square on the first sunny day of the year so?

Having a big doughnut in the barracks and watching (or missing) the CCTV no doubt.

Anyway, I thought the latest Intoxicating Licquor Act (you know the one where law abiding citizens have to buy their poison within the hours set by the nanny State) included a provision whereby drinking in public places was outlawed, and the drink could be confiscated by the Gardai. Now why is this not happening in flashpoint areas? Not saying you shouldn't be able to have a can or a bottle of wine with your friends at a picnic on the beach or something, but come on, in the middle of Galway. What will the tourists think at all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnMcManus

What you do in these situations is simple. Give the man 100 Euro's to spend on heroin. It will be the last time you see him. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'd say chances are that the guy wasn't homeless or a bum.... Just another scumbag..
    Dead right not giving him a euro... Fcukers trying to intimadate people into giving money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

blond45 wrote: »
    better have millstreet on speed diall then . bloody hell lads he should be reported.:eek:

Your dialling will be the only thing speedy with them useless cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Galway has a higher proportion of crazies than most other parts of the country full stop.

Doubtful if your talking about Galway City, which can only really be compared to the other Cities of Ireland when considering the amount of mentality ill people on the streets. Wouldn't want to put out the false impression that Galway City is the Irish capital of Mentallers.:)

Not saying you shouldn't be able to have a can or a bottle of wine with your friends at a picnic on the beach or something, but come on, in the middle of Galway. What will the tourists think at all :rolleyes:

I don't see the problem with someone enjoying a few cans in the sun in eyre square once they are not causing trouble. I think tourists are probably used to drinking in public places as its quite common in a lot of country's.

I have seen one wino/scumbag in particular in the last while at least once if not twice acting the p**ck with people on shop street. A fairly tall thin fella with a beard I think and always so locked he could barely stand. He was shouting abuse at a busker and then turned on a young woman (who looked like she wasn't local) and starting shouting abuse at her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The guards were nicking down at Bucky Plaza in the early afternoon ( coz I saw them cuffing someone ...not a wino ) so there were some around in fairness. Maybe they spent the rest of the day doing their paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't have any references ... but have been told that Galway does indeed have the highest proportion of mentally ill people of anywhere in Ireland.

I usually deal with situations like by not making eye contact and just keeping on walking.

Pretending you don't speak English can be kinda handy. If you're from a far-away kind of elsewhere and have to reply, then "swearing" in foreign-sounding place names can work, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi I just want to give people the heads up about something that happened me yesterday about 7pm in Eyre Square..

As ye know the sun split the stones yesterday (SATURDAY) so I went into town to meet a few mates. They were sitting in Eyre Square enjoying the sun. I met them and was walking off when a man stood infront of me, blocking my path!!!! I was like "Hello???" He started mumbling something.. god only knows what.. now that was ok I told him I didnt know him and walked away.. he was very freaky.. I walked down the steps away from the fountain mezanine and heard this hero shouting at me.. down he comes throwing shapes.. and goes "are you makin fun of me because Im homeless? quite aggressively.. (I didnt even realise he was homeless up until this point, and I hadnt been making fun of him anyway) So there he was squaring up to me, then he called some of his mates down to intimidate me, then he said quitely while still aggressively squaring up to me "give me a ****ing euro now".. I was totally shocked.. I would have loved to hammer him but Im better than that.. I dealt with it a different way and he went away very quickly.. Im only posting this to warn others who might be intimidated easier than me.. I dont want the post picked on, or fifty questions Im only posting to make people aware. (If any one was there in eyre sq it happened just after the big fist fight in the center of the square where a young lad smashed an empty beer can off another lads head) The place was PACKED.

P.S HE GOT NO EURO :cool:

its your own fault. you met an undesirable and decided to provoke him. you should have just ignored him or at least humoured him This "Hello???" business comes across as juvenille and irritates a lot of people.

• Advertisement

we prefer the term 'charcter' and its what makes the place special.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The guards were nicking down at Bucky Plaza in the early afternoon ( coz I saw them cuffing someone ...not a wino ) so there were some around in fairness. Maybe they spent the rest of the day doing their paperwork.

there are about 100 guards in Galway for a city of about 80,000 and not all of them can be on duty at the one time. there are not enough cops about the place but do we really wnat to see cops on every corner? I remember the blue flu a few years back. I don't think anyone notice the cops weren't on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have seen once wino/scumbag in particular in the last while at least once if not twice acting the p**ck with people on shop street. A fairly tall thin fella with a beard I think and always so locked he could barely stand. He was shouting abuse at a busker and then turned on a young woman (who looked like she wasn't local) and starting shouting abuse at her.

Oh yeah i've had a few 'conversations' with him recently! He's usually propping himself up on one me the bins.
    He's never had a proper go at me(yet) but he was giving proper abuse,right up in their faces, to two girls a couple of weeks ago. They just pushed past him and walked off.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh yeah i've had a few 'conversations' with him recently! He's usually propping himself up on one me the bins.
    He's never had a proper go at me(yet) but he was giving proper abuse,right up in their faces, to two girls a couple of weeks ago. They just pushed past him and walked off.

there is not much that can be done about him in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its your own fault. you met an undesirable and decided to provoke him. you should have just ignored him or at least humoured him This "Hello???" business comes across as juvenille and irritates a lot of people.

tbh fuinseog, having a stranger stand in front of you+ staring at you is incredibly unnerving.So, in your opinion, just because the OP said 'hello' to the person and pointed out what they were doing, they deserved to get a load of abuse screamed in their face, threatened with physical violence and hassled for money? seriously, wtf? in that situation any normal persn would have just moved on without a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Fuinseog wrote: »
    we prefer the term 'charcter' and its what makes the place special.

By 'character' you mean mentally unstable, violent thug with a horrible personality, yes?
    there's no shortage of these fcuking bell-ends up in dublin. hmmm, wonder what it was that put them on the streets in the first place. definitely not their personalities.oh no, not that at all:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    tbh these types should be kept under strict supervision in a secure unit, not left to wander the streets.
    don't worry OP, i've been in your situation before. i find that 'fcuk off' screamed very loudly into their faces usually does the trick.bunch of *****.no sympathy for them whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

bryanjf wrote: »
    gotta love them bums

"Of course, they all have lovely bottoms"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

This is so weird, saw that guy on foster st. (i was up from dublin for the friday) he was outside the bookies across from ''an pucan'' legs on the road, body on the path asleep. then when i was walking back from the atm he asked me for a light, told him i didnt have one, he had no reason to believe i had one, and yes just like you said VERY aggresively he start walking after me & shouting, i turned around and told him to **** off away from me. About 20mins later i was going back from the hotel into the bookies he was being arrested. Just hope he didnt harm anyone.
    Puts a bit of a bad look on one of the nicest city's in Ireland but sure every town, city, square has them, some more desperate than others or some, just more alcoholic.

tbh fuinseog, having a stranger stand in front of you+ staring at you is incredibly unnerving.So, in your opinion, just because the OP said 'hello' to the person and pointed out what they were doing, they deserved to get a load of abuse screamed in their face, threatened with physical violence and hassled for money? seriously, wtf? in that situation any normal persn would have just moved on without a fuss.

the tone makes the music. a bum sazs something unpleasnt zou can either humour him or react with unpleasantness yourself. if zou choose the latter then be readz for a fight.

in my experience we can walk our way into fights.

i remember when a drunk got on a bus in Loughrea with an equally drunken companion and sat down the back. i decided to stare at them and by doing so irritated them. had I minded my own business they would have left me in peace.

• Advertisement

By 'character' you mean mentally unstable, violent thug with a horrible personality, yes?
    there's no shortage of these fcuking bell-ends up in dublin. hmmm, wonder what it was that put them on the streets in the first place. definitely not their personalities.oh no, not that at all:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    tbh these types should be kept under strict supervision in a secure unit, not left to wander the streets.
    don't worry OP, i've been in your situation before. i find that 'fcuk off' screamed very loudly into their faces usually does the trick.bunch of *****.no sympathy for them whatsoever.

people might not know who the violent thug is then, you or him.

Advertisement