Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Splinter cell conviction

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Where do you think the game will go now? I can see the franchise hitting a brick wall unless they start doing prologues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm actually amazed they got this far, Sam Fisher is 56 and he is faster and more agile than ever. Pushing things a bit far alright.

It may be time for a new rookie character but it won't be the same not having Michael Ironside doing the voice anymore.

Maybe they could try and re-invent him like the way 007 has since the '60s till today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

56 is not that old !!! But the stealth should be ruined by him getting up from a crouched position making that dad groan noise they all make.

Not sure where they will take it But i would love a full game of the Iraq flashback level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Been playing it on and off all weekend. I'm actually not that impressed with it (gasp).

The graphics are not as good as they should be after this long a development especially the faces (apart from Sam who's riddles with bottox)...Grims hair is awful looking,
    the Iraq level looks empty and the sky box is terrible
    . The story is like one of the new seasons of 24 (crap since season 6 imo) and the pacing is a bit all over the shop.

The AI is buggy, if you fail an attempt sometimes the AI will be still alerted in the next go?? Other times they become aware of you for no reason.....that said, I want to play through it again because after you get the feel for the game it is a lot of fun. My main issue is that the game wants to be a fast paced 'aggresive stealth' game like Batman:AA but doesn't always make allowances for it. Batman would so kick Sam Fisher's ass. Also the first interrogation is the best one, the rest are a little lame. In a way I miss the old Sam fisher, at least you knew where you stood.

The cover system is the best part of the game but again is a little buggy, sometimes you cant move to a place right beside you when other times you can move to the other side of the room no problem.

Sigh....maybe I was expecting too much.

RAIN wrote: »
    Been playing it on and off all weekend. I'm actually not that impressed with it (gasp).

The graphics are not as good as they should be after this long a development especially the faces (apart from Sam who's riddles with bottox)...Grims hair is awful looking,
    . The story is like one of the new seasons of 24 (crap since season 6 imo) and the pacing is a bit all over the shop.

The AI is buggy, if you fail an attempt sometimes the AI will be still alerted in the next go?? Other times they become aware of you for no reason.....that said, I want to play through it again because after you get the feel for the game it is a lot of fun. My main issue is that the game wants to be a fast paced 'aggresive stealth' game like Batman:AA but doesn't always make allowances for it. Batman would so kick Sam Fisher's ass. Also the first interrogation is the best one, the rest are a little lame. In a way I miss the old Sam fisher, at least you knew where you stood.

The cover system is the best part of the game but again is a little buggy, sometimes you cant move to a place right beside you when other times you can move to the other side of the room no problem.

I have to agree completely. The game is not Splinter Cell anymore. Ubi could have called this game 24 and got far more sales.

Ubi have gone and changed Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and now Splinter Cell from class games to mainstream averageness.

I'm glad I kept my old Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon titles from the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Played the first two co-op missions last night, they were good fun. When we were doing the interrogations, we took turns and suggested using the various parts of the environment with great glee, one particularly unlucky guy found that a
    fridge door
    and a
    cooker
    made him talkative...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I reckon they had serious budget restrictions on this game. The level of detail and length seems to suggest that anyway. But im still really enjoying it and its 24esque feeling (im only upto season 4 though !!).

Sometimes you dont need to use stealth at all. One section i got spotted by a few guys chasing me i was able to just blast my way out with a assault rifle and run away.

I reckon they had serious budget restrictions on this game. The level of detail and length seems to suggest that anyway. But im still really enjoying it and its 24esque feeling (im only upto season 4 though !!).

Sometimes you dont need to use stealth at all. One section i got spotted by a few guys chasing me i was able to just blast my way out with a assault rifle and run away.

Ya, there are parts where you feel you should be able to quickly move through the shadows popping dudes in the neck for the craic of it but then thats not translated into the level design and vice versa. It also annoys me that you can't stack the executions - if I get one but I destroy a room of dudes I should get one for every person I decide sneak up on and pwone.

I'm not going to judge it till I get the Co Op done, as that was the main draw for me.
    My advice with 24 is to stop after season 5!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Absolutely loving this. Its a huge improvement over Double Agent, and its finally nice to have some decently scripted scenes to move the story along. Agree that it feels very 24, but if you're a fan of that then it just makes the game even better. Think I'm near the end now
    3rd Echelon HQ
    but I'll defo be playing it through again, and still haven't touched the co-op camapaign.

Favorite game of the year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

My advice with 24 is to stop after season 5!!

Ignore this, suffer through season 6.

Season 7 is great, and Season 8 is good so far.

Still have to play this, it came early from Gamesnash, but I still haven't got round to playing it, really looking forward to it though.

It being compared to 24, can't be a bad thing.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    Absolutely loving this. Its a huge improvement over Double Agent, and its finally nice to have some decently scripted scenes to move the story along. Agree that it feels very 24, but if you're a fan of that then it just makes the game even better. Think I'm near the end now
    3rd Echelon HQ
    but I'll defo be playing it through again, and still haven't touched the co-op camapaign.

Favorite game of the year so far.

That level is extremely cool. Especially how it starts. Highlight of the game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Easily one of the most refreshing games I've played recently. Really good fun.

Started the Co-Op with a mate yesterday and it's quite amazing thus far. Great fun.

If you've not gotten it yet..... Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Only picked this up yesterday , havent played it that much but have to say it does look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I can see someone getting the sack for this one:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a215294/splinter-cell-stunt-goes-wrong-in-nz.html
    A marketing stunt to promote Ubisoft's Splinter Cell: Conviction in New Zealand has resulted in armed police being called to apprehend an actor bearing a fake gun.

At 8pm on April 16, around 20 people outside the Degree bar in Auckland's Viaduct Basin were threatened by a promotions worker carrying an imitation pistol, reports the New Zealand Herald.

Speaking about the incident, bar manager Steph Kurtovich said: "This guy with bandages on his hands pointed a gun at customers sitting outside. They were pretty terrified."

Police cautioned the actor at the scene, with senior sergeant Ben Offner revealing that officers were unable to gauge whether the gun was real until they took it from the man.

"We consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy," he said.

Monaco Corporation, Ubisoft's New Zealand marketing partner, claimed that they had hired another marketing firm to coordinate the event and were not aware that a fake gun was to be involved.

"This was by no means an attempt to get cops down there and get this sort of exposure," said Monaco marketing manager Duane Mutu.

"We do apologise. We shouldn't have had guns down there. It was just marketing gone wrong."

Lucky it was New Zealand and not the US! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I can see someone getting the sack for this one:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a215294/splinter-cell-stunt-goes-wrong-in-nz.html

Lucky it was New Zealand and not the US! :rolleyes:
    That was a very stupid thing to do and he was very lucky only to get cautioned. When I was over there I remember someone tried to rob a shop with a fake gun and was shot, and killed, by armed police, they didn't know it was fake at the time obviously.

Finished the game yesterday, very short as other people have said but I haven't tried the co-op yet because my internet was down yesterday. I enjoyed the game but if it was only single player it would not be worth it, although I would have bought it for the ghost recon beta alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Played co-op last night, great fun :)
    Anyone know how much co-op levels there is ?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much co-op levels there is ?
    Four
    , I believe. They're all roughly the same length, assuming you don't get stuck (which we did at one stage).

Single player is good , co-opid good ,online multi -player is a let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Sounds like a renter to me. Shame, I was expecting better. But then again I could be pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Not sure if anyone's posted this already but thoought I'd let people know that Gamestop are running a promotion, if you trade in MW2, BFBC2 or ME2 against Conviction, you'll get it for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The beta for the new ghost recon looks unreaaaal :D

Soby wrote: »
    The beta for the new ghost recon looks unreaaaal :D

That was the main reason i got this game ;)

The last area in co-op is..interesting. A friend and I finished it last night,
    but it was extremely frustrating. It's a quite challenging, which is fine, but glitches added to the problems.

At a few points, Archer (me) wouldn't run. He calmly strolled around, no matter how hard I pushed the stick. Once, I glitched through the floor, to my death. When my co-op partner and I had to set an EMP to complete an objective, the animation to do so took too long, so a nearby turret would knock one of us out of it (or incapacitate us).

This put a bit of dampener at the tail end of what was otherwise an excellent co-op experience. Ubisoft should really patch this!

There is a few annoying flaws in this game alright. Sometimes point blank head shots just don't register. Some enemies can see through the walls, shine their torches and put their arms and weapons through a wall and hurt you while they are stuck on the other side.

Sometimes checkpoints reload you with a different weapons loadout than you had when you passed it. I went by one with a 5-7, and SC3000, had to reload and I had a Mk23 and M500, wtf. Another time I had a 5-7 and MP7, had to reload and I ended up with the P226 and M468, I had no silenced weapons. Why??

Also I first did a few single player missions on easy, then I did split screen co-op with my brother who had finished the single player on normal. Afterwards I went back to carry on the single player and the game had all the levels unlocked and completed on normal in the scene select screen on my profile.

Needs a few things fixed alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Just finished the single player yesterday and have to say that this game exceeded my expectations in every way. I was initially quite disappointed with the demo and delayed purchasing.

Picked it up last week and have been playing non-stop. The single player isn't as short as previously made out. The mark and execute mechanic (despit my initial reservations) is fantastic. And the story is just pure Splinter Cell.

With regards to the multiplayer I wa disappointed to see the Spy v Mercanary mode was gone (loved it in the previous itterations of Splinter Cell) but the new co-op game modes are excellent. If there is anybody still playing these let me know, I'd be up for a few rounds of Hunter on realistic:D

Advertisement