Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Android

Options
  • 11-04-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Howdy guys,

recently bathed my iphone so I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm close to settling on the Google Nexus one.
    One of my concerns is about updating android OS. It seems that there are fairly regularly updates to Android, with the most recent being 2.1, but that the older phones don't have this version.
    Does this mean that whatever version is on the phone you purchase, is on it for good and it won't update? If I buy a nexus one will it be running 2.1 even when 3 etc is out?
    I would be disappointed if that was the case, being used to regular updates on the iphone, and I'm not sure android is quite there yet. Especially considering it hasn't got exchange calender support yet.

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

First update for the Nexus One OS was released in February (2.1-update1), next one is coming end of May (2.2). Nexus One is Google's flagship product and you can be assured it will be receiving regular OS updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Howdy guys,

recently bathed my iphone so I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm close to settling on the Google Nexus one.
    One of my concerns is about updating android OS. It seems that there are fairly regularly updates to Android, with the most recent being 2.1, but that the older phones don't have this version.
    Does this mean that whatever version is on the phone you purchase, is on it for good and it won't update? If I buy a nexus one will it be running 2.1 even when 3 etc is out?
    I would be disappointed if that was the case, being used to regular updates on the iphone, and I'm not sure android is quite there yet. Especially considering it hasn't got exchange calender support yet.

Cheers for any help

The android updates are available for all the Android supporting phones but it can depend on the handset manufacturuer for a release date for example the official 2.1 update for the Hero is taking its time because HTC are taking their time adding 'Sense' (HTC's layer on the adroid) to it...

As for the exchange calender support....Im not too sure what you mean here? If you mean syncing your phone with the calender in Microsoft exchange then it works no problem with my Hero which is on 1.5 os.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

My calendar certainly syncs with Exchange on 1.5 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. I did wonder why some of the HTC phones were still running the older version, but that makes sense.

That's interesting about the calender support, because I've read from a couple of sources that the Nexus One only supports exchange email, but not the calender. Apparently it's on it's way though.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. I did wonder why some of the HTC phones were still running the older version, but that makes sense.

That's interesting about the calender support, because I've read from a couple of sources that the Nexus One only supports exchange email, but not the calender. Apparently it's on it's way though.

Thanks for your help

I don't know if this is still an issue, but before I got my hero, there was a problem with google branded phones (G1 and I guess Nexus One) supporting Microsoft Exchange, and there was the suggestion that one of the reasons that the Hero doesn't have any google branding on it was so that Microsoft Exchange would allow support. I don't know how true this is as since then there have been a huge number of new android phones released without google branding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement