Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briggs and Stratton engine

• 11-04-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Iv just bought an old generator with a 3HP 4-Cycle Briggs and Stratton engine. Before i try to get it working, can anyone please tell me, is it pure petrol it takes, or do you add some oil to the pertrol? If so , Would 2 stroke oil do?

Also, for anyone that might have one, there is a knob (shiney and round turn-wheel like) , close to the air breather , with a long bar at the end of it, , leading down to like a trottle. The knob has a spring on it, and it can be released .
    Does anyone know what this is for, and what way its suppose to be when starting? :cool:

thanks,

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Melodeon

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Iv just bought an old generator with a 3HP 4-Cycle Briggs and Stratton engine. Before i try to get it working, can anyone please tell me, is it pure petrol it takes, or do you add some oil to the pertrol? If so , Would 2 stroke oil do?
    4-cycle = American for "Four stroke"
    It's designed to run on straight petrol.

As for the other thing, it could be one of a few things: throttle/choke/decompresser/who knows.

Any chance of a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Figerty

It's even easier than that to know.

Does the engine have a dip stick, if it does, it has an oil sump, if it has an oil sump it is a four stroke as a two stroke is lubricated from the oil in the mix.

Oh yeah,, if has a oil sump,, make sure there is oil in it!

Melodeon wrote: »
    4-cycle = American for "Four stroke"
    It's designed to run on straight petrol.

As for the other thing, it could be one of a few things: throttle/choke/decompresser/who knows.

Any chance of a photo?

Advertisement