Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jaguar XJ8 - Value ?

• 11-04-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Found this on driving.ie.
    '98 XJ8 with FSH 75k miles
    Toiling with the idea lately, even considering a vintage (for the road tax)

media?id=9893775&width=400&height=300

What do yee think ?
    The tax would be a real killer though.
    1500 euro odd ?
    Looked around at classic xj6's, either rotten or huge money,
    Maybe I should look at something more economical for a second car but would like the comfort, consumption not really important as might only do 3/4k miles per year. Any alternative suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Think about it in terms of cost per km. The cost of owning and running an XJ8 is about €0.46 per km based on 15000km per year including tax, insurance, depreciation, repair reserve, servicing, fuel etc. Drop that mileage to 5600km per year and your costs rocket to €0.88 per km.

I rest my case. I'm pro-Bangernomics luxobarge cars, but the costs are unacceptably high for the low mileage you'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could pick up a nice 7 Series for silly money these days. Tax is a killer alright but if it wasn't then these luxo barges would not be so cheap to buy. :)

I'd imagine a 7 Series would be alot more reliable than a XJ8 of that year too.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200903191473102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »

I'd say it's the other way around to be honest. At this stage (1990's) Jaguar were topping the customer satisfaction and reliabilty surveys.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say it's the other way around to be honest. At this stage (1990's) Jaguar were topping the customer satisfaction and reliabilty surveys.
    those surveys are not based on 12 year old cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

RoverJames wrote: »
    those surveys are not based on 12 year old cars.

A car that was reliable 12 years ago is far more likely to be better than one that wasn't.

Besides, the surveys were based on when the cars were a couple of years old anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A car that was reliable 12 years ago is far more likely to be better than one that wasn't.

Besides, the surveys were based on when the cars were a couple of years old anyway.

Seems to have terrible problems

bazz26 wrote: »
    You could pick up a nice 7 Series for silly money these days. Tax is a killer alright but if it wasn't then these luxo barges would not be so cheap to buy. :)

+1

-1, the Jags are known for being troublesome and contrary. Don't believe everything you hear on Topgear, Honest John etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Confab wrote: »
    Think about it in terms of cost per km. The cost of owning and running an XJ8 is about €0.46 per km based on 15000km per year including tax, insurance, depreciation, repair reserve, servicing, fuel etc. Drop that mileage to 5600km per year and your costs rocket to €0.88 per km.

I rest my case. I'm pro-Bangernomics luxobarge cars, but the costs are unacceptably high for the low mileage you'd do.

This has really set me thinking, maybe the vintage route ismore suitable for my bit of weekend driving. Fuel might be a bit more but tax and insurance alot less.
    Hard finding a good one though, there was an xj6 in swords show yesterday, lovely original machine but looking €15k !!!!!!!

Advertisement