Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parsnips

Options
  • 11-04-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

I planted some parsnips last year for the first time and left some in the ground. They are now starting to grow new shoots from the ones I didnt pull. The question is this, can/should I leave them be and harvest later, or will the new growth simply use up the root ?
    Sorry if this seems like a stupid question :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

It won't use up the root but it will get a bit smaller for the first couple of months they are growing. I often eat 2 year old parsnips when I stumble across them in the veggie patch. They're tougher than the young ones but I think they have a nicer wilder taste.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

parsnips are true biennials, that we grow as annuals for the tap root...if left in the ground, in its second year it produces flowers and seed heads , while over wintered parsnips are still good to eat into the 2nd calender year, once the plant emerges from dormancy and begins its new growth (shoots), the sugar/starch content of the root changes and the taste is not the same as you would be used to.....not bad for you -just different.:)

Advertisement