Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

benefits of doing a single major?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

What are the benefits of doing a single major in your chosen subject?

Obviously to a potential employer it shows dedication to the subject that a major might not but is that it? Are there any benefits to doing a single major while in college or after, when the job hunt begins?

Any info would be very much appreciated because i thought i was set in my mind as to what route i wanted to take but im torn now and i just need a small amount of info to tip me one way or the other.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Joint Major - more options, naturally.
    Single Major - more dedication to a single field, more knowledge in that field and very possibly better grades, due to you doing double the classes in that field than joint major students.

As mentioned above, I'd imagine your C.V. could look a bit odd with a BA in two very different subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

betafrog wrote: »
    Really depends on what you're planning on doing..

For example a joint major in Computer Science and Geography is pretty pointless, but if you want to be a teacher a joint major in Irish and English would be a good option.

Yeh, pretty pointless alright...:rolleyes:
    Some subjects, although distinct can have some level of overlap that you wouldn't think possible (e.g. Geography and Computer Science, would probably set you up with a decent grounding in GIS, and GIS is pretty big).

Whatever you like and whatever you enjoy, do that. I did a single honours degree and it was pretty enjoyable. I can only teach one subject but it doesn't matter, it's what you're comfortable with in the end.

betafrog wrote: »
    Way to completely miss the point of my post

I was being nit picky, you were oversimplifying a double major on the basis that only subjects that you can teach with are the best. Tell that to all the History and English grads!;)

Friends of mine who are doing the MRUP in UCD, after doing the BA GPEP have just finished a job talk there and essentially the new buzzword is "unpaid work experience". Fact is whatever you do in college it doesn't matter because there's no jobs, especially after an arts degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Interesting...Ive talked to a few single major heads now and they dont seem overly keen on the idea after finishing it, in fact the majority say do a major/minor which i probably will end up doing as it was my original plan(incidentally the minor is in a relevant subject so no worries there). My only issue is that a major in the subject im keen on would give me only one option module which isnt great because i really do want to get stuck into it. As everyone said however, ultimately its personal preference but at least now that El Siglo has dashed my hopes of getting a job that frees up my options a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 El Frooop

Hi I entered ucd through the single subject major bachelor of arts programme and am currently in first year.

I haven't really enjoyed the year, arts is very big and I've yet to meet anyone who is actually doing my course.

I was wondering if anyone was in my same position and did it get better in second year as I'll only be doing the one subject and will a 'class group' atmosphere form.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Interesting...Ive talked to a few single major heads now and they dont seem overly keen on the idea after finishing it, in fact the majority say do a major/minor which i probably will end up doing as it was my original plan(incidentally the minor is in a relevant subject so no worries there). My only issue is that a major in the subject im keen on would give me only one option module which isnt great because i really do want to get stuck into it. As everyone said however, ultimately its personal preference but at least now that El Siglo has dashed my hopes of getting a job that frees up my options a bit :D

Glad to be of assistance!:D
    Seriously, don't pick a major because of the possibility of employment. Jobs come and go but you'll only ever be an undergrad once so pick something that you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

El Frooop wrote: »
    Hi I entered ucd through the single subject major bachelor of arts programme and am currently in first year.

I haven't really enjoyed the year, arts is very big and I've yet to meet anyone who is actually doing my course.

I was wondering if anyone was in my same position and did it get better in second year as I'll only be doing the one subject and will a 'class group' atmosphere form.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I was/am in the same boat as you. Second year now, and there are a few people doing the same single major as me, but I have to admit to being a very shy person and not knowing any of them...
    But I think it depends on what subject you're doing, I have friends who are doing pure History/Politics and they seem to have quite a "class" atmosphere, likewise ag and eng students, but other arts subjects, no....My exp has been it's not a very easy place to meet people, hoping I can change that next year but it hasn't been very enjoyable from that point of view I have to admit. I thought tutorials might change that too, but no such luck (doesn't help most people don't show up for them I suppose!).

Wish I could say otherwise, but I know how you feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Benefits of a single major depends on your career role in mind

set scenario where you wanted to be a job that required solely politics
    Option A: A student who has 3 years experience in politics.
    Option B: A student who has 3 years experience split between politics and music.

Assuming similar grades and experience and similar enough strength in interview, only a fool would hire option B as A has more learning in the subject...

Set scenario where applying to be a teacher, and joint major would probably be more appealing to the school...

Advertisement