Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen/Mesh for Windows

• 11-04-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Alright people. I got great advice on here last time I was on for home improvement and I'm hoping you can come through for me again.

Long story short. I live in a 3rd floor appartment. It's a very warm appartment and retains heat very well when the weather is good.

Myself and the missus have 2 cats. They are indoor cats. They aren't vaccinated to go out and with the layout of our appartment block they can't be 'contained' on our balcony so forget about that.

We need to be able to open the window in the sitting room beside the door to the balcony to get some air into the place in the summer. The window opens out and I was hoping to put some kind of screen or mesh on the inside of the window so I could open it out.

I don't know if its viable and I don't know where to look so if any of you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.bug-off.ie/windows.html might be right for you

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

If you want to fabricate something yourself...

B and Q and Homebase both sell the same range of light metal mesh sheets - about a square meter in size. There are also brackets etc in the range allowing you to build borders around the mesh. Sorry can't remember the brand name.

I used the same to easily fabricate a grid into a chimney to hold filter wool over a Rangemaster Cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I used magicsealireland.co.uk and the rep for Ireland (located in the North) was great. Very helpful and the end product was very professional and so easy to install that I had them up by the time my husband got home from work. The rep visited me and measured the windows but you can also do the measurements yourself. Once the final product was ready they were all posted down to me (with labels on each indicating the room and window the particular screen was for). Installation was very simple if you follow the simple instructions. I always get comments on the screens I have in my house (I ended up putting one on at least one window in every room, except the kitchen where I put them on two windows). They are especially great at night in the summer when you have the lights on and keep all the bugs/moths out that are attracted to the light! Hope this is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Hello again SwdDub we must be leading parallel lives or something.
    As part of my search for peace and serenity :D I got some secondary windows installed. Secondary windows are a way of soundproofing windows and also cut out draughts.
    The company I dealt with origionally installed flyscreens.
    http://www.windowsealflyscreens.com/windowscreens.htm
    They came and installed the secondary windows and I imagine they do the same with the flyscreens.

They were the cheapest company by far on the secondary window front but I dont know what they charge for flyscreens.
    All I can say is they were very nice and efficient to deal with and might be worth making a phone call.
    Ive been thinking about doing this myself as I have an indoor cat and know exactly what your talking about.
    Hope your sleeping better these days since you sorted out that other little problem. ;)

Advertisement