Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you pronounce the 'th' in clothes?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Who cares how it's pronounced? People with too much time on their hands perhaps? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it personally, some days my English is perfect and some days it's not. The fact that I'm not English, reassures me that I was never 'designed' to speak it as my native tongue anyway. So considering I'm speaking an 'alien' language, I'm not to worried about it really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

murpho999 wrote: »
    The non pronunciation of 'th' is really an Irish thing (ting?).

You eva bin ta Brooklyn, son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This That These Those. That's the way the T h goes

Remember being taught this rhyme at school (in England) when our teacher was trying to encourage us to pronounce our 'T H's. Would have been an absolute nightmare trying to teach that to Irish school kids lol

It didn't work for me anyway... I say 'cloze'

A Kerry bogger girl was asked to read that out in Speech and Drama a few years ago, and the teacher thought she was taking the piss:

"Dis dat, dese and dose, dis is de way dat TH goes"

I pronounce the th in clothes, but I wasn't born here.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Very few people speak perfect English.

A lot of people speak and annunciate/pronounce quite well but they can be from anywhere - Scotland, Ireland, the US....oh ... and England.

Ironically, England is where you will here some of the worst pronunciation.

"Posh" accented people are technically often no better than the clichéd Cockney, Mancunian or whatever. They maybe have an attitude to their voices, an air of refinement or contrived 'class' or something, but they still completely mispronounce loads of words.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Caveat wrote: »
    Very few people speak perfect English.

A lot of people speak and annunciate/pronounce quite well but they can be from anywhere - Scotland, Ireland, the US....oh ... and England.

Ironically, England is where you will here some of the worst pronunciation.

"Posh" accented people are technically often no better than the clichéd Cockney, Mancunian or whatever. They maybe have an attitude to their voices, an air of refinement or contrived 'class' or something, but they still completely mispronounce loads of words.

If only you'd just stuck to using the word you understood there instead of trying to be posh with your slash and your homophone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Eh? Are you sure you understand the meaning of homophone?

I understand all the words in my own post, thanks.

Edit: Oh sorry, you're right of course. Just copped. I've done the classic one there haven't I?

OK, enunciate.

:o

Still though, pretty churlish post - especially from a mod - no?

Advertisement