Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotherapy Dublin

Options
  • 11-04-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I have been smoking now for about 16 years I used to smoke about 10 a day, but these days I only social smoke, social smoking for me means smoking about 20/30 a week. I no this is nothing compared to all those serious smokers out there. I have been wanting to give up the social smoking now for about 5 years but just cant seem to make the move. So I am thinking about hypnotherapy, what are peoples views on this form of kicking the habit? Can any body recommend a good physiotherapist in Dublin? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My aunt was a chain smoker 100+ a day for over 30 years and she visited a hypnotherpist and hasn't smoked in years. I am sure there are loads of stories where it doesn't work also. I think most places will give a consultation first to see if it is suitable for you; so you don't really have anything to lose:) Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This clinic is one I know of. I know the two main therapists personally and can vouch 100% for their honesty and integrity. They do offer a free discussion before making an appointment to assess the likelihood of the treatment working for you.

I am not vouching for their success or for hypnotherapy as a practice as I didn't use them (or any other hypnotherapist). I personally don't believe in it tbh - if you want to do something you will. Hypnosis cannot make you do something you don't want to do. But, for some, this kind of therapy can give you confidence to quit. If so, then great - go for it. And if it's for you I will certainly vouch for these guys without hesitation.

Everyone is different and needs different incentives. Mine is to go gung-ho from smoking into multi-sport adventure racing. Others mightn't be as insane and a little hypnosis would be enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm thinking of going down this route too as I don't have the willpower to stop myself!

What's others opinions / stories on hypnotherapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I went to a hypnotherapist in February 2007. It involved three sessions and cost €250. I actually stopped smoking after the 1st session, but went to all three as it was a fixed price. I haven't smoked since and I reckon I'm more than €10,000 ahead. One month without smoking meant that I had paid for the treatment.

During the time since I stopped I've been through a marriage break up, and started over living by myself. I didn't go back to smoking during that time. Of course I still get cravings, but remembering the money saved soon sorts those out!

I actually used hypnotherapists twice - the first time worked for more than two years until a domestic trauma intervened.

One thing was common to both sets of treatments - they were different practitioners - that we spent a long time discussing the times I wanted to smoke. It's worth thinking hard about that before you go, because I found, and my brother found also, that it's the times you haven't discussed that the cravings are at their worst.

My brother realised some months after his treatment that he hadn't discussed that smoking moment when you are in the middle of some DIY and you step back to admire your newly painted wall and reach for the smokes! It didn't put him back on them, but it was an unexpected feeling. I had some similar occasions.

I doubt that hypnotherapy or any other way of stopping smoking works without the person actually wanting to stop smoking - there's little point in deluding yourself into thinking that you want to stop when you really don't. After my lapse following the 1st go I smoked for about two years before stopping again.

There were a couple of other things that helped me both times. I didn't tell anyone that I had stopped - some people noticed sooner than others, but I reckon you create more pressure when you announce to the world that you've stopped smoking. The other was to carry a packet of cigars (I was a cigar smoker) in my pocket for a month or so afterwards. Previous attempts had shown me that the worst cravings came when I didn't have a cigar and it just preyed on my mind more and more. Having a packet handy meant that the thought that I hadn't got one, and that I needed one, didn't arise. I realise that the packet in the pocket might e too much temptation for some people - but it helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thanks nompere!

Where did you go for the therapy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Once in Sandymount - it's not there any longer; once in Malahide - the therapist I saw there has moved on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JFLdotCOM

Hypnotherapy can work very well for smoking. One good tip is to ask whatever therapist you decide to work with about how they deal with symptom substitution.

Sometimes when you have a habit, it's because it serves a purpose like relieving stress etc, and if you stop the habit other ones can pop up like overeating as one example.

Any good hypnotherapist will no exactly what you're talking about and will include as standard work for that as part of your session(s).

All the best kicking the habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

nompere wrote: »
    I went to a hypnotherapist in February 2007. It involved three sessions and cost €250. I actually stopped smoking after the 1st session, but went to all three as it was a fixed price. I haven't smoked since and I reckon I'm more than €10,000 ahead. One month without smoking meant that I had paid for the treatment.
    Thanks for sharing. Hypnosis is one area in which the success stories seem to far outweigh the failure stories. I'm planning on quitting amphetamines which is probably a bit trickier than quitting smoking but I'm fairly optimistic about it.

Advertisement