Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the 'main applicant' in a joint mortage application?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi - could someone confirm to me who the main applicant is in a joint mortgage application? Would it the older person or the one earning the most? I am a few years older than my husband but earn less, so should I assume that A. the mortgage term would be based on my age & B. my earnings considered the main earner? Is this generally negotiable with the bank (i know probably even more difficult in the current climate)..

Thank you...
    AG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

either or

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would think the higher earner, although I don't think you will be treated any differently in reality. However, I suspect all correspondence would be sent to the main applicant.

A distinction will be made between the main applicant and anyone acting as guarantor.

Ultimately, you will need to check with the bank.

Advertisement