Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't add MySQL User in CPanel

Options
  • 11-04-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I am trying to install a WordPress blog onto a website. It is an organisation which I am involved with and basically it has been delegated to me to start building a newer website.

However, I have run into a major problem. When I try to establish a new MySQL Database in CPanel the database is established OK, but it is impossible for me to create a user. I create the user and give a password, I click create user and it gives me a confirmation of the user and my password implying that the user has been created. However, when I go back to add that user to the database no names appear.

I have no idea what is wrong. Perhaps someone would have some advice? One thing I thought might have happened is that perhaps the current webmaster has only given me limited access to CPanel? But I do seem to have a fairly generic username (eg what would seem to be the main username) and it seems I have access to the whole control panel.

Very perplexed - would appreciate any help!

mysql.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you contacted your hosting support?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

If you can get this far you can complete the process. Sometimes it is something as silly [sic] as passwords not matching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

kbannon wrote: »
    Have you contacted your hosting support?

Sent them an email this evening. Was hoping to get it sorted today but will have to wait as they won't get back until tomorrow I shouldn't think.
    Freddio wrote: »
    If you can get this far you can complete the process. Sometimes it is something as silly [sic] as passwords not matching

I actually get all the way to having a new user confirmed. For example:
    captureqk.jpg

But then when I click back to add the user to the database it tells me no users exist.

down the bottom of the form select the user from the user dropdown and add the user to the database in the dropdown for databases and click add user.

down the bottom of the form select the user from the user dropdown and add the user to the database in the dropdown for databases and click add user.

No users appear in the dropdown box after I seemingly create a user... that is the point really.

boxot.jpg

• Advertisement

in the current databases section can you click on the database name ? if so what do you see, some versions of this cpanel will automatically add a user to the database if there is only one database.

Also if you have successfully created the user can you establish a test connection from a web script and can you log on to phpmyadmin ?

No up on the current databases table I can only click delete database.

I can see that it isn't registering the user because when I attempt to run the Word Press installation it won't work - because it isn't recognising my username and password. I've double checked them again just now and they are identical to that which I am inputting to create a new user.

if you go up one level in your cpanel, is there a Mysql Database create wizard you could try ?

if you go up one level in your cpanel, is there a Mysql Database create wizard you could try ?

Tried that also... it basically gives me what I have above... it initially tells me that I have established a new database and user... and then when I go into the MySQL control panel it tells me there are no users associated with the account and Wordpress won't sync.

It is a nightmare, it seems. Is there any possibility that a part of the hosting is deactivated which is causing this? It seems very peculiar that I can establish a database but not a user.

I remember having a similar problem with this type of control panel. Who is you hosting provider? I dont think they would allow you create databases but not use them.

can you connect via phpmyadmin in the control panel ?

Have you tried logging off and back on to the control panel ?

Also it looks like your database name ends with an underscore

-> you did give the database a name didnt you ?

• Advertisement

The hosting is currently provided by TSG in Cork... which may have to change if we can't get it to work. I am only really taking over the reigns of the site this weekend.

I have tried logging back in and all that several times over the past number of hours - none of that works.

We do have phpMyAdmin but I don't seem to be able to work out very well how I add a user to the database I have created from it or how just to start from scratch and create a new database with a user. Any help there would be greatly appreciated!

Im looking at a version here which says only alphanumeric characters should be used for the database name, did you get any warnings with your database name ?

I think I may have found an issue on that front....

When I look to make a database it forces me into the following format, which I assume is usual:
    domainname_databasename

When I say domainname I mean excluding the .com at the end of it.

However, it also tells me that the database name can be no longer than 16 characters long.

Our domain is 16 characters long excluding the www. and the .com. It allows me to put in one letter in the box for creating a domain (eg domainnamw_a) but if I put in a second character says I have gone over 16 characters. Of course even the single letter brings me to 17 characters but it does not seem to register this fact and it does register the database name - as you can see from my first screenshot.

Could this be an issue and if so is there anyway I can shorten a database name so that it does not inclue the long domain name we have... which is kind of necessary as the domain name is the name of the organisation concerned and has been the domain for 10 years+.

Hope the above explanation made sense.

Thanks very much for your time here.

Like I can even get this far... but then when I finish the process the user just disappears!

error.jpg

You can probably call the database anything you want as you will have to specify it by name (and nobody will see it in the front end) when your installing something like wordpress. If your reinstalling an old version there will be a config file somewhere with the dbname, server and users specified.

I trust you are clicking "Next Step" in that screen grab

Yes am clicking next etc and then I go into it and find it has created the database but not the user.

Is it possible for me to create a MySQL database which does not contain the name of my home directory... because the wizard is forcing me to put those 16 characters and then a _ and then whatever I put in the box as the name of my database.

I think you may be right - the version Im looking at is telling me I cant use more than 16 chars but allows me to create up to 18 chars. The hosting company should be able to correct this without affecting your domain name. (tomorrow)

If your not tied to this hosting, there's a crowd based in Carlow whom I have pleasant things to say about, but I wont advertise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Guys we have a rule against tech support questions for specific companies. I know this thread isn't breaking that rule but in future don't ask, or provide, the name of a particular company.

Advertisement