Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband - Download issues?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi

Has anyone experienced download issues on NTL broadband?

Last month I downloaded a few movies successfully, but now, once I start any download, it will stop after a few seconds.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

If you're using P2P of any sort, that I believe they are implementing port blocking or throttling.

Naughty P2P People :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Are you sure NTL can do that? Don't think they can see what you are downloading! All they can do is block the Torrent sites like Pirate Bay or Torrentz! Eircom did this...

It could be that you have exceeded you download limit for the month!!

Torrent Sites are accessed via HTTP on Port 80

Torrents themselves utilize a different Port Number, which NTL Blocks.

Many ISPs do this. P2P is probably THE easiet activity to track and see what you are downloading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Thanks for that pebbles - Didn't realise it was that easy to track!! Is it legal though to block all P2P filesharing? I mean, not all torrents are illegal - and it seems that an outright ban is a little OTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Not wanting to get into a lenghty discussion about this, but P2P is perfectly legal. It's the content that is downloaded by a few unsavouries :cool: that is illegal. If you are downloading legal, free torrents and still having trouble, you could try changing the default port number in your torrent application and force encryption on the torrent traffic. Most torrent clients allow you to do this in the options now.

I certainly haven't been having any trouble. Downloaded LinuxMCE the other day which is about 3.5 GB and it came down and almost full speed the whole time.

Good luck to NTL trying to track my encrypted torrent activity on a port in the 60,000 range!

• Advertisement

Its very simple track P2P activity on any port. Just because you are encrpyted, doesn't mean the person sharing is.

Don't know why people bother with P2P anyway, there are much better and faster tools for downloading 'Linux'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Guys "P2P" is not a Greystones issue. If you wish do discuss P2P please visit the Broadband forum where there are plenty of threads on that subject. :)

I have NTL BB and the connection in the past few weeks has not been great. I had 3 or 4 dropped connections last Tuesday and downloads can be very slow at times.

This is my worst speed test to date and i have the service nearly 2 years.

1004256799.png

I will be having words in the morning as this is not acceptable on a 30Mb connection.

Anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Well... I can agree that it's not a fantastic connection but on a 15Mb package I get

1004375065.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Damo9090 wrote: »
    This is my worst speed test to date and i have the service nearly 2 years.

1004256799.png

I will be having words in the morning as this is not acceptable on a 30Mb connection.

Anyone else having problems?

I also have a 30Mb connection and I was getting similar results on Sunday evening. At one point, every website was just timing out. I found that switching the modem off and then on again fixed the problem.

I've just done another test and this is my result:

1004516460.png

Very poor for what should be 30mb, but I think it's probably just about the fastest I can get with Wi-Fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Looks like the issues affecting UPC were not confined to Charlesland or Greystones. Fairly typical for a bank holiday weekend though as the issue has been rectified today.

For me, Saturday was fine all day, Sunday everything dropped down to about 5mb and only got as good as 10mb after a complete reboot of the router. Monday was not much better than about 20mb. Today it's back to normal...

1005354802.png

@RayM - In my experience, testing your broadband connection over wifi never produces reliable results. Where possible plug in a cable direct from the router and test for a more accurate result.

Getting better.

1006961685.png

Advertisement