Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers benefit and job seekers benefit

• 11-04-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

i currently get carers benefit for my mother. On Friday, my husband was laid of. Will his claim for job-seekers benefit affect my carers benefit?.
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 85 Verified rep Citizens Information: Graham

Hi finni S

Your husband's Jobseeker's Benefit claim shouldn't affect your Carer's Benefit payment.

One thing to note though - he will not get a qualified adult payment for you if you are receiving a social welfare payment in your own right.

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finni S

thank you for your last reply,but to tell the truth things have gone from bad to worse,as i thought my husband would qualify for unemployment benefit,he doesnt qualify as he was self employed in 2008 and now has to apply for unemployment assistance;i get on carers benefit 242.00for my self and half rate for 2 children,now the social say he is only entitled to 140.00 per week which seems very little,where is the other half childrens rate gone, please could you advise us ,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Because your Husband is on a means assesed scheme, your payment is also brought into play. Your family unit ( 2 Adults, 2 children) have a maxium payment they can receive.

Because there is No Qualified adult RAte on careers this is based on Jobseekers Allowance rates.

Full adult (196) + Qualified Adult (130.10) + 2 kids (29.80*2) this gives a max family income of €385.70.

You continue to receive a Full rate for yourself, and a half rate for your kids. This amount is taken from the above total, and the remainder is paid to your Husband.

At least that is how it should work, IF you want you can go to the local office and ask them to show you the calculations. However they are probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

your husbands claim would be -personal rate of €196 and half rate for 2 kids €14.90 x 2=29.80.so his rate is €225.80 less means from your carers benefit.

• Company Representative Posts: 85 Verified rep Citizens Information: Graham

Hi finni S

Based on the information you've given, your payment should not be assessed as means in your husband's Jobseeker's Allowance means test. If you think your Carer's Benefit is being included in the means test you should raise this with your Social Welfare Local Office.

Your husband should get a payment for himself and a half-rate increase for your two children. At the full rate, this would come to €196 + (2 x €14.90) = €225.80.

As the other posters have said, Jobseeker’s Allowance is a means-tested payment. If you have income from other sources or if you have capital such as savings or investments these will affect the Jobseeker’s Allowance payment.

Your Carer's Benefit payment sounds right if you are caring for one person and getting a half rate increase for 2 children (€213 + (2 x €14.90) = €242.80).

When your Carer’s Benefit claim ends, your husband can apply to his Social Welfare Local Office for an increase in his Jobseeker’s Allowance. At that point he should get an Increase for a Qualified Adult and full rate increase for child dependants.

There's more information on the means test for Jobseeker’s Allowance here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/means-test-for-jobseekers-allowance

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

• Advertisement
Advertisement