Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you do your nails?

• 11-04-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

After being a lifelong nail biter I have finally given up! I haven't bitten them in about 2 months. It is only now, well into my 20's, that I have ever started paying attention to how they look!

So I am just wondering... how do you do yours?
    I really like funky colours, blues, greens, purples, yellows and oranges so I love the ranges from GOSH, Rimmel, Barry M.
    I'm really not into reds, wines or most "traditional" shades- I think they're kind of out of date?
    I think a French Manicure looks nice for work but I also think it's a little outdated. Classic though at the same time.

So how do you wear your nails? Do you get them manicured etc or do they just get some varnish for a special occasion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nail clippers once a week, keeping them square with about 2-3mm of nail showing.

I do this for two reasons (1) I spent a lot of my life in a lab working with electronics etc and short nails were tidier than long and (2) my nails have a natural tendency to weakness and keeping them short keeps them stronger.

If I paint them, I like colours like "Rouge Noir" that suit short nails.

I actually find *some* french manicures and long painted talons kind of ridiculous. Plus sometimes you see so much grime underneath them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I love doing my nails. My fav nail varnish is sally hansen.
    I tend to go for pinks/red/french for work. For a night out I generally paint them the same colour as my outfit.

Today I got gel nails, had them years ago and then gave up. Due to a number of reasons my own nails are really soft and break very easily so dont look great. Am totally undecided whether I love the gels or not :(
    Sorry long post - I love nails :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I am seriously amazed at how strong mine are.
    After years and years of biting them until there was nothing more to be bitten, they have grown back as hard as... nails!

They have about 3mm of white at the ends now. I don't think I'm going to let them get ridiculously long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My nails grow ridiculously fast so am always trimming them! I like to keep them quite short but my thumbnails are always longer, they're so strong I actually find it difficult to cut them! Not talon long though.

I love bright colours, mainly bright red, fuschia pink, blue, green, Rimmel do a lovely range of bright colours. It annoys me so much though when it inevitably chips.

I have to keep them short for work and I can't really have varnish on then either, but I'd always paint them in my free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I've been painting my nails like mad this week. I'm not allowed to wear nail varnish in college at all and I tend to bite them when I'm stressed so I made an extra special effort to not bite them for easter holidays!

My current favourite is a green Barry M one, I love doing them really bright colours. Makes my arms feel longer or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

fonpokno wrote: »
    I've been painting my nails like mad this week. I'm not allowed to wear nail varnish in college at all and I tend to bite them when I'm stressed so I made an extra special effort to not bite them for easter holidays!

My current favourite is a green Barry M one, I love doing them really bright colours. Makes my arms feel longer or something :)

I got this one yesterday, love it!

barry-m-mint-green-nail-polish.jpg

I used to bite my nails, but I've stopped now so I try to keep them nice! Not too long mind, can barely see them from behind, if you get me? I love painting my nails though, usually navy, but got the green for a more spring time look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Twee. wrote: »
    I got this one yesterday, love it!

barry-m-mint-green-nail-polish.jpg

I used to bite my nails, but I've stopped now so I try to keep them nice! Not too long mind, can barely see them from behind, if you get me? I love painting my nails though, usually navy, but got the green for a more spring time look!

Oh that's really pretty!! I have the other two green BarryM colours, one is a glossy grass green and the other is the same(ish) shade but it's iridescent.

That brand is the best I find for lasting long without chipping. It also goes on soooo smoothly.

I was also a nail biter. Stopped about 6 years ago after biting them for nearly a decade. I found once I grew them they were strong to begin with but gradually weakened so I've started taking nail and skin supplements which has helped a lot. Generally I like to keep them, what I assume, is mid-length and fairly square but around this time of year I cut them right back because I tend to pick them during exam times. I've really tiny, stumpy fingers so having them longer makes my hands look nicer over all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I was amazed at how easy it was to quit. I just wore fake nails for 3 days and so every time I absent-mindedly went to bite, I was met with a big plastic nail!
    Once I took the fake nails off and saw how much my real nails had improved (even in 3 days) I just wasn't tempted again.

My teeth are so damaged from biting. I had the ends of my incisors filed straight when I got my braces off 5 years ago and now the edges of them are all worn away at the sides from me biting all these years. It looks like I chipped them. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

Still waiting for the last bit of my gel nails to grow off, really should have gotten them taken off properly :(
    Then i will be back to doing my nails myself again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I file and polish my own. 2 coats of whatever colour in find and 2 coats of topcoat. I ordered Nailtiques formula 2 topcoat on ebay - circa 18€ but it is the best topcoat around - it dries in seconds and my polish stays on all week without chipping. It also makes the nails rock hard too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I painted my toe and fingernails a lovely very pale pink last night as I'm heading out tonight - just went to admire them there after seeing this thread and just 3 out of 10 fingernails are unscathed from a morning of lifting bags of cat litter and dog food around, the rest are wrecked. Now I remember why I don't bother painting them :rolleyes:

I do keep them nice and short though - for hygiene reasons mostly.

Advertisement