Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Wi-Fi in hospitals?

• 11-04-2010 10:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the Limerick regional for six days (kidney stones) and sorely (no pun intended) missed the owl Netbook/Wi-Fi.......does anyone know if hospitals have free Wi-Fi?

May sound silly, but i wasn't on deaths door or anything...... :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I was in Beaumont hospital for a few weeks last year, and the only internet access they had were two of those Eircom kiosks in the main waiting area downstairs on the way in.

I think wi-fi in hospitals is probably a bit of a no-no anyway due to potential issues with interference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not get a loan of one of those O2 "Midband" modems from an O2 store and "trial" it and return it when your done? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

What interferance would there be? They seem to have relaxed the mobile phone thing in hospitals now. As far as I am aware it was a better safe than sorry rule anyway, some might call it ignorance.....

I know in the UK they have wall mounted arm LCDs with a number of services like VOD and internet, they are at every bed on most wards and it costs something like £5 a day. The UI was painful and it was as slow as hell, something like the TVs in hotels. They were run by a private firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

I thethered my netbook with my Nokia 5800 on 3 ireland via bluetooth.
    Isn't the fastest but good for reading etc.
    not good for streaming, loads of buffering.
    Costs €10 / 30 days PAYG
    (Also used in UK and Italy Included free)
    Needed to keep phone on the charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I was in the Limerick regional for six days (kidney stones) and sorely (no pun intended) missed the owl Netbook/Wi-Fi.......does anyone know if hospitals have free Wi-Fi?

May sound silly, but i wasn't on deaths door or anything...... :o

I dont know about other hospitals but Limerick regional does have free wifi at least in the day ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

IIRC St. Vincent's do free WiFi for certain categories of patients. Disclaimer: This information is three years old and might have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I was in the Beacon in January and they had free wifi. Only had my iphone, but checking the speed using speedtest.net app (just checked the log) got 2Mb down/ 4Mb(!!) and 62ms ping which is decent enough.

Last September I spent a week in Vincents public and there didn't appear to be any wifi in my ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

One point I should add is to definitely ask someone about it! One of the nurses just happened to mention the wifi thing to me and gave me the password. There was no mention of it anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm posting from the Limerick regional, there is a wireless router setup on the wall connected by Ethernet....i detected several wireless networks in range, one unprotected, SSID is L-R-H guests, but when i try connect i get no net access, but anywhoo i have mobile broadband thingy :-)

Advertisement