Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting planer / thicknesser knives

Options
  • 11-04-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just wonder what is yer prefered ways to accuratly set yer blades on yer planer thicknessers? I have one of those moon shaped things that came with mine and to be honest I dont think it's any good.

I set mine with a ruler and check each end of the blade until they both move the ruler the same distance. Usually 5 or 6mm forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

With a ruler too. Nothing to technical..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

David Charlesworth discusses this in one of his excellent books, he does something along the lines of what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

It does take a long time to do this way though. You wont feel a half hour going using this method. Is there any quicker ways out there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A real simple jig that I read about and decided it was worth a go. I put it together in a few minutes. Dead accurate.
    I use float glass when sharpening chisels and plane blades and had an extra piece laying around. Regular glass works also.

A piece of float glass that is not as wide as the knives, rare earth magnets and a dab of super glue.

It is important to have the blade (cutterhead knife) at top dead centre. The glass rests on the out-feed table, the magnets are glued on top of the glass.

knivesd.jpg

Apply hand pressure to the glass and tighten down the cutters/knives.

Check the setting with a dial indicator.
    Fast and accurate. It works.

• Advertisement

That looks a good idea with the glass and the magnets. I'm trying to download that link for the video you posted up. It's going to take ages on my crappy mobile broadband connection though.

This one costs more money :pac: :
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12258

Well I finally got that video downloaded. Watched it earlier on. It's an excellent rescource to have and your man really knows planer thicknessers inside out! I'l have to try out what he does to set his blades sometime I have the money to buy on of them dial he uses!

GD18

Had these on my hard drive.

dgstands.jpg

thicknessersetup.jpg

Where did you get them images from? Did you get the article off the internet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement