Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My latest build!! :)

• 11-04-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

This is my take on the Telecaster Deluxe! It has a Irish beech body with an American hard rock maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It has 2 Golden Age humbuckers, they are form Stewmac.com. Its an American luthier supply shop. They have some really good parts but can be pricey, their tools are top notch too but they are quite expensive too. I split both coils using the two mini switchs so I can get either a humbucker or a single coil sound. Each pickup has seperate volume and tone controls. The 3 way selector switches between the neck, neck+bridge, or bridge pickup. All I have left to do it the nut and apply the decal. I ordered one from the US so it should be here this week. I used Colron teak oil on the body to give a real natural feel and Birchwood Casey Tru-oil on the neck. Tru-oil is normally used for gun stocks but its a great finish for necks too. Askk questions just ask! :) BTW I made this guitar myself, I didnt buy the parts and assemble them, each piece was a square block of wood when I got it! I also made the pickguard myself! Im hoping that this will encourage a few of you to build your own guitar. Its great fun and theres nothing better than playing a guitar you made yourself, plus you can make it whatever you want it to be!

DSC04429.jpg

DSC04431.jpg
    DSC04432.jpgDSC04440.jpgDSC04441.jpgDSC04436.jpgDSC04444.jpgDSC04445.jpgDSC04447.jpgDSC04446.jpgDSC04450.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Absolutely Awesome! I wish i had the woodworking skills to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Agree with you 100%

I have always wanted to make my own guitar but the most i though of doing was buying the parts of warmoth and putting it together :pac:

Did it take long to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Looks great!! Really well done :)

I don't have any woodworking experience, and I'm not sure learning that particular skill appeals to me, but I'd love to assemble a guitar from parts. I'd like to try make a Jonny Greenwood-esque Telecaster Plus or a Thurston Moore-esque Jazzmaster. I've rewired my own CIJ JM, and my Squier strat, and installed some kill switches, so I suppose buying a body and a neck and all shouldn't be too big an extra step. I don't think I have the patience for doing my own carving or routing or finishing or anything :p

Have you got any higher-resolution pictures anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Looks great!
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

great finish and a great choice of hardware, looks well together. I have a few questions....
    where did you get the wood itself? i looked at getting materials from stewmac before but like you said they were very pricey. you didnt happen to find anyone local that were reasonable?
    Out of curiosity did you use handtools to shape the neck and body?

again, a really nice guitar, fair play. hope it sounds great too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

F*cking beautiful. I gotta make my own axe someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Looks savage, great job man...

Do you come from a carpentry background?
    Where did you learn this stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭FruscianteFan

Thanks for all the great comments!! Makes it all worthwhile! :)
    You do have the skills you just need to bring them out! If I can do it, then so can everyone else!
    Did it take long to make?

Well I did it over a long period, a few months like. But Id say most of the work was done in under a week. Finishing take the longest, waiting for it to dry and sanding etc. But the good thing about it is you can do a bit then wait a while before doing more.
    I don't have any woodworking experience, and I'm not sure learning that particular skill appeals to me, but I'd love to assemble a guitar from parts. I'd like to try make a Jonny Greenwood-esque Telecaster Plus or a Thurston Moore-esque Jazzmaster. I've rewired my own CIJ JM, and my Squier strat, and installed some kill switches, so I suppose buying a body and a neck and all shouldn't be too big an extra step. I don't think I have the patience for doing my own carving or routing or finishing or anything

Have you got any higher-resolution pictures anywhere?

Go for it! Like partscasters are awesome. You can get exactly what you want, make your perfect guitar. My first I bought the neck and just made the body so it was pretty much a partscaster. If you looking for bodies or necks going the custom made route you can really get some seriously high quality. Check out warmoth or usa custom guitars. Here, http://www.yajimastringworks.com/tct/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp, you can design you own guitar. Just scroll down the page a bit. Post you ideal guitar when your done! :) To be honest I dont have much patience myself but just walk away and take a break for a while when something is annoying you. Like when I was finfishinh it I havd the body and neck done and I hung them out in the sun to try and too a break for a while, half an hour later I looked out the window to see it was lashing rain and nobody told me! :mad: But I dryed them off, left them for a while and then fixed em up! :)
    When its completely finished I will try get some high res pics and post them!
    where did you get the wood itself? i looked at getting materials from stewmac before but like you said they were very pricey. you didnt happen to find anyone local that were reasonable?
    Out of curiosity did you use handtools to shape the neck and body?

I was lucky enough to get a furniture factory out where I live to sponsor me with the wood but I know of a few places that I have looked into getting wood from and they were pretty reasonable. Only thing is you will find it hard to get a one piece body if thats what you are looking for. But Glued up bodies arejust as good if not better as one piece bodies. Look at Strahan Timber, Morgans Timer, Abbey Woods, The lisnavagh Timber Project. Theres prob others too so if you find any let me know! :cool: A good place to try is also salvage yards, you never know what pieces they will have in there!

I used a router to shape the body, I made a mdf template and used a pattern bit to follow it! For the cavitys I kind of free handed it, but the neck pocket I used a template too! It was the same with the neck for the outline but for the profile I used hand rasps, sandpaper and files until I got what felt right for me. At the first few frets its a fat V profile but the it changes to a modern C after avout the third fret! If you are thinking of building a guitar I will post some good info on making templates, rounting etc. I got it off the net and it will save oyu searching! :) Thats goes for anyone who is thinking of building one, Im here to help! :D I also have a load of different plans for guitars, They can all be printed out full size, if anyone wants a copy of them just send me a pm with your email and I will send them on!
    Do you come from a carpentry background?
    Where did you learn this stuff?

No carpentry background really. I did woodwork for the Junior Cert, I wanted to build a guitar for the exam but wasnt allowed so I did it in Transition Year. I have dropped woodowrk now but I still amke guitars, Im 17 and in 5th year if anyone is wondering! I learnt pretty much everything I know off the internet and trial and error! Most of what I know its from http://www.tdpri.com/tele-home-depot Its a telecaster site but the ahve all sorts of builds there. From Teles, Strats, Basses, Les Pauls, Gibson semi-hollows and James Trussart guitars! :D But the best way to learn is hands on and just trying it! Like you may not know that the neck pocket was routed wrong on this tele and was filled and re-routed! You wouldnt know unless you looked very closely. But making mistakes is all part of the fun! ha ha Every guitar you make will be better than the last!

Everyone get building guitars!!! Post them here! Anyone want to know anything about how I did anything post a comment! I will post a few build pics if anyone is interested?

Sorry for the REALLY long post, but I wanted to answer the questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Im 17 and in 5th year if anyone is wondering!

I am blown away (and very jealous) that someone of your age can make something as amazing as that. I have seen some guitars built by people with many years of woodworking experience under their belts that aint a patch on what you did. Cant wait to see what you'll be making in another year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Fair play to ya, an inspiration to us all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

That looks animal. I'd love to do my own build but skills and time are lacking. Did you have to set a neck angle because of the TOM bridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

that's pretty freaking cool

I am blown away (and very jealous) that someone of your age can make something as amazing as that. I have seen some guitars built by people with many years of woodworking experience under their belts that aint a patch on what you did. Cant wait to see what you'll be making in another year

Thank you very much! :D
    That looks animal. I'd love to do my own build but skills and time are lacking. Did you have to set a neck angle because of the TOM bridge?

You could always build from parts, wouldnt take that long and you would end up with a lovely new guitar! ;)
    Yeah it needs an angle because the TOM bridge is so high off the body. It only needs to be about 1.5 degrees so I am just going to use a small shim, a business card or something! :) I could have also recessed the bridge and then I wouldnt have needed any shim or neck angle but I decided against it, cant remember why now! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Taxpayer

I'm blown away by your talent. This is your friend who is helping you with your C5 by the way ;)
    I have worked in this industry for more years than I care to admit and I have known a few would be Irish luthiers, but I have rarely seen such a great finish on a hand built guitar. I would be very interested to hear it. Am I right in saying you have made a 62 tele also? Did you manage to bind it and get a sunburst finish? I'd love to see some photos of that, I'm sure the rest of your fans would too.
    Any interest in acoustics at all? I'm sure George Lowden would give you an apprenticeship!
    Well done. I think your work should be showcased at the Irish Music Show in October....

I'm blown away by your talent. This is your friend who is helping you with your C5 by the way
    I have worked in this industry for more years than I care to admit and I have known a few would be Irish luthiers, but I have rarely seen such a great finish on a hand built guitar. I would be very interested to hear it. Am I right in saying you have made a 62 tele also? Did you manage to bind it and get a sunburst finish? I'd love to see some photos of that, I'm sure the rest of your fans would too.
    Any interest in acoustics at all? I'm sure George Lowden would give you an apprenticeship!
    Well done. I think your work should be showcased at the Irish Music Show in October....

Thanka a million for your comments and also the help with the Class 5! :D
    Yeah I also made a 62 tele, absoutely love it. Such amazing pickups! I didnt have the money to buy the extra router bit at the time just for the binding, regret it now though. I couldnt do the burst either, just went for Lake Placid Blue. I would like to try and stain a burst soon though! :rolleyes:
    An apprenticeship with George Lowden?? :eek: That would be unreal. Id love to do acoustics, or even see how they are made or anything. He makes some amazing guitars!
    As regards the Music Show, that would be awesome too! I was there last year, a musicians heaven. But sure ya never know what might happen! :p ha ha

I'm just wondering do you have a breakdown of costs for the build? From hardware to wood to electrics etc. I'm still trying to get my head around how you would do all this stuff! Like the fretboard and the frets and markers and all. How do get the truss rod into the guitar?

You must have aced woodwork in the JC!

fobster wrote: »
    I'm just wondering do you have a breakdown of costs for the build? From hardware to wood to electrics etc. I'm still trying to get my head around how you would do all this stuff! Like the fretboard and the frets and markers and all. How do get the truss rod into the guitar?

You must have aced woodwork in the JC!

Well I was lucky enough to get the wood for the body for free off a local furniture factory but there are a few places around Ireland where you can buy wood suitable for guitars and its not a bad price at all. Its very hard to get a piece big enough for a one piece body though but glued up bodies are just as good if not better than one piece bodies. They are more stable. All guitars you buy from shops like Fender, Gibson etc. are all 2 or even more piece bodies! Are you thinking about building a guitar? I will post the names of a few timber suppliers if you want?
    I can also explain exactly how I did everything if you want? I have a few pictures too, I have a good few of the neck build, installing the truss rod and all that! Il post them tomorrow for ya, and whoever else is interested!

I did ace the JC in woodwork! :D I made a small tiny little guitar as a trophy type thing, I wasnt allowed to a full size one because my teacher thought I wouldnt be able! :P ha ha I gave it up for the leaving though!

It's cool man I'm curious but I'm way off being able to build my own, I've started clearing out the old electrics of a clapped out squier but that's as far as my craft skills in this area stretch at the moment. Small beginnings!

I did ace the JC in woodwork! :D I made a small tiny little guitar as a trophy type thing, I wasnt allowed to a full size one because my teacher thought I wouldnt be able! :P ha ha I gave it up for the leaving though!

Ha typical teacher attitude! A student challenging their abilities? That must be stopped!

skinnerpointing.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

ha ha I gave it up for the leaving though!

That's like me giving up English to do Spanish in the leaving.

I have finished the guitar as much as I can for now!
    Shielded
    DSC04489.jpg

And I got decals made for this guitar and my last one!
    DSC04468.jpg

Here it is installed on the Tele Deluxe neck (strat shape) and Tele Custom (tele shape)
    DSC04477.jpg
    DSC04473.jpg

And after a few coats of lacquer. I used the halfords brand clear coat for cars. It was pretty good, better than I thought it would be!
    DSC04486.jpg
    DSC04511.jpg

Guitar bodies waiting for their necks!
    DSC04491.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

*grabs popcorn*

Very cool! keep us updated! :)

Thanks dord! :D

Here they fully made!
    DSC04516.jpg
    DSC04518.jpg
    DSC04520.jpg

DSC04521.jpg
    DSC04522.jpg
    DSC04523.jpg

I got this today for the summer! It sapele mahogony and teak for some necks! :D But these will be a whole other thread!
    DSC04515.jpg
    DSC04513.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

The natural finish Tele is my favorite man, Im very impressed!! :D

They look better than alot of Fender Tele's ive seen!

What pickups are in the natural finish one? Nice sound out of it?

The natural finish Tele is my favorite man, Im very impressed!! :D

They look better than alot of Fender Tele's ive seen!

What pickups are in the natural finish one? Nice sound out of it?

In the natural finish one I put in Stewmac Golden Age humbuckers. They are the normal ones, not the hot ones. In case anyone is wondering in the blue tele I have Fender 62 Custom pickups!

Yeah it sounds pretty sweet!! :D Im more of a single coil, p90 man but these are nice. I think I might take out the shielding though. I know its weird to say but its nearly too quiet. Theres no background noise or feedback, I have kinda gotten used to it from the p90s and single coils I use. When I make a new nut and use the proper files I imagine that it will play differently, hopefully better! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ohh teak necks, that should look deadly!

I have finished the guitar as much as I can for now!
    Shielded
    DSC04489.jpg

Where did you get the shielding tape? Stewmac? Is it the stuff with conductive adhesive? Looking to do that on my squier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ooh ooh ooh, make a Les Paul next! :D

Maybe a Junior or a Special? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Wheres the pics of the truss rod being put in? :D

Dord you read my mind!!
    Im thinking a Les Paul Junior next, then maybe a jaguar or a jazzmaster!! Dont know yet. I need to start saving!

stephenshields2, for your viewing pleasure! :D Any quesions ask!

DSC04310.jpg

DSC04312.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04321.jpg

DSC04320.jpg

DSC04322.jpg

DSC04346.jpg

• Advertisement

O yeah and I will be doing another build during the summer which will be posted here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

jeez, nice damn work !

i love that blue tele , gorgeous.

Advertisement