Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do GX53 bulbs need a transformer

Options
  • 11-04-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have GX53 bulbs for under counter kitchen lighting and the things keep blowing. To the point where the plastic cover bubbles just as they go.

They are all hooked up to the mains, do they need a transformer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

gx 53 are a mains lamp. they are basically a compact t2 flouresent with built in electronic gear. can you tell what make they are?
    could have been a bad batch from a supplier. eventhough they are a flouresent they do get quite warm when on, are yours enclosed by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

No there is no make on the bulb, well at least anything obvious I can see.
    They came with the kitchen, a few blew, then I got some more and then more went, such a pain.
    You are right, they do get fairly warm alright.
    Here are a couple of pics, you can see where they casing bubbled.

ive not seen that happen to a gx 53 before, especially a 7 watt one.
    personally i would try a decent brand like megaman or sylvania. all the info you need to get the right wattage is there on the back of the bulb.
    they are not the cheapest lamp in the world so ied buy one to start with and see do you have the same problem. your local wholesaler should have them but if you have trouble getting them post back and ill recomend somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Thanks a million, I'll have a look at the weekend.

Could it be something to do with the wiring?
    They are daisy chained together using junction boxes (sorry if thats the wrong name) rather than individual wires from the wall.

If that fails any recomendations?

Thanks.

im not a sparks but as far as the wiring is concerned i think you mean they are wired in parralel and shouldnt be an issue. looking at the pic with the melted cover it looks like its melting right at the start of inner t2 tube. i also think that flouresent lighting deals with fluctuations in voltage and current quite well especially when electronic gear is being used but i couldnt count that out as a possible reason. how many of these lamps have gone faulty?

• Advertisement
Advertisement